Thread: Is the Gold Standard a Good Idea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has the salutory effect of preventing inflation. It has the disadvantage - if a compulsory unit of exchange - of being a dictate by the State.

How would you convince me of the superiority of the Gold Standard versus bimetalism, or a Silver Standard, or a Bitcoin Standard? How about versus free market money where anyone can print whatever unit of exchange they want to convince others to accept?

I'll take any of the above alternatives to the current fiat-currency monopoly and money-as-debt scheme.
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    It has the salutory effect of preventing inflation. It has the disadvantage - if a compulsory unit of exchange - of being a dictate by the State.

How would you convince me of the superiority of the Gold Standard versus bimetalism, or a Silver Standard, or a Bitcoin Standard? How about versus free market money where anyone can print whatever unit of exchange they want to convince others to accept?

I'll take any of the above alternatives to the current fiat-currency monopoly and money-as-debt scheme.
    There should be a gold or silver standard for government money and then people should be allowed to use whatever they want for anything but paying taxes.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There should be a gold or silver standard for government money and then people should be allowed to use whatever they want for anything but paying taxes.
    People who believe in gold standard must buy gold and silver. Simple

I don't know anything about gold or trading commodities, but I see you had the COT data in your video. I see open interest fell off the map last week and large traders were net short for the first time since 2001 in August and commercial hedgers are actually more net long than the large traders which basically never happens. It seems like this is kind of significant. You should do a video on that.