Thread: NJ Town wants man to fork over $2K per night for Christmas Light Display Security

NJ Town wants man to fork over $2K per night for Christmas Light Display Security

Harassing some man about his Christmas lights. SMDH...I get that his lights could be a pain in the ass for his neighbors but it seems like they could work something out without having the police there. Thoughts?

I don't remember Christmas Light displays in the Catechism but I wasn't really the best student in Church school. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's not in there because I would've totally remembered that bit.

Tom Apruzzi does Christmas BIG. Per the Bridgewater Courier News, the Old Bridge, New Jersey, man's holiday display contains 300,000 lights, synchronized music, and starts going up in October. The scene can draw as many as 1,000 people a night from as far away as New York and Pennsylvania. Neighbors aren't fans of those crowds: They say the 24-foot-wide road becomes clogged with parked cars on both sides and pedestrians in the middle, which critics call a dangerous situation. NJ.com reports that in years past, an auxiliary police group would man the scene free of charge. The town now says that's not enough: Mayor Owen Henry says Apruzzi needs to fork over $2,000 per night to pay for police officers, moveable light posts, and fuel. Apruzzi says those lights are going up Dec. 1 come hell or high water.

"We're not gonna listen to what the police have to say," he said. "It is my First Amendment rights, it has to do with my religion." (He's Catholic.) A GoFundMe campaign has been started on his behalf and seeks $75,000 to cover the town's fees, but Apruzzi says that the amount raised won't affect his plans (and at $1,600 raised as of this writing, he has a ways to go). Chief of Police William Volkert says he'll have cops present even if Apruzzi doesn't foot the bill, and the mayor insisted Wednesday that he isn't planning to shut the light show down if Apruzzi doesn't pay. But things have gotten a little crazy: One of Apruzzi's windows was shot with a BB gun, and he has pondered moving to a "Christmas-light friendly" town. The GoFundMe page notes the display is a 15-year tradition in the town: "Residents will tell you that they were brought to the Apruzzi house as kids and now bring their own kids to witness the amazing display."

http://www.newser.com/story/267877/n...as-lights.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More people always equal less freedom and diminished life experiences.

This will turn ugly, get shut down and nobody will get any $#@!ing Christmas lights.

This is life in the globalized mega urban zones of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    More people always equal less freedom and diminished life experiences.

This will turn ugly, get shut down and nobody will get any $#@!ing Christmas lights.

This is life in the globalized mega urban zones of the future.
    Had a friend that had a saying that I believe aptly applies. Whenever friends were in disagreements, or relationships on the rocks, he would shake his head and say the problem lies in "too much togetherness."

He should move to Brandy Lane in Jefferson City, where they require residents to put up Christmas displays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Harassing some man about his Christmas lights. SMDH...I get that his lights could be a pain in the ass for his neighbors but it seems like they could work something out without having the police there. Thoughts?

I don't remember Christmas Light displays in the Catechism but I wasn't really the best student in Church school. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's not in there because I would've totally remembered that bit.
    My religion also allows me to do what I want on my property and would require I take the mayors scalp before I give him 2K .
    Do something Danke

It’s a zoning issue. Try opening a business in a residential area that brings in 1000 visitors a day. Prfetty sure that in many communities, one customer a day is too much in a residential area.

And yes, just another example of too many people limiting liberty.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My religion also allows me to do what I want on my property and would require I take the mayors scalp before I give him 2K .
    I wonder if that's in the Catechism. If I missed the Christmas lights part, I suppose I could've slept through the scalping part, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It’s a zoning issue. Try opening a business in a residential area that brings in 1000 visitors a day. Prfetty sure that in many communities, one customer a day is too much in a residential area.

And yes, just another example of too many people limiting liberty.
    Seems like the cops could just set up on the side of the road with a "Thank You police!" sign and collect tips.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.