Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 Basic Life Skills That Should Be Taught In School (But Aren't)

25 Basic Life Skills That Should Be Taught In School (But Aren't)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-school-arent

Authored by Meadow Clark via Daisy Luther's Organic Prepper blog,

I know lots of you are homeschool parents. But please accept before reading this article that many kids are sent to public schools for a wide variety of reasons. Please do not turn this into an argument about homeschooling vs. public schooling or an insult festival toward parents who send their kids to school. That’s not productive. Let’s talk about what is taught vs. what is missing. And also, keep in mind that school is the only chance that some children have to learn new ideas because their parents are either disinterested or close-minded. While most of us try to teach our children these excellent skills at home, many young people are not raised in households like ours.

Think of the vast amount of time that students spend in school. But what do they come away knowing? They are taught very few life skills, so are they really prepared for the real world?

Here’s one of the glaring problems with public school: it’s designed to waste time.

Like a Weeping Angel from Doctor Who, school can zap your life away. It wouldn’t be half bad if you were being taught something useful. Sure, reading and math are important, but the bulk of those things can be taught in much shorter periods of time than are being utilized right now. Plus, reading skills are deteriorating and math was swallowed by Common Core.

Ideally, there would be myriad forms of trustworthy education that could suit any personality. And ideally many of these skills would be taught by family and imparted by experienced people – but that’s getting harder to do.

So in the list below, think of what it would be like if schools were ideal and actually preparing people to live meaningful lives.

Without further ado, here are…

25 Life Skills That Should Be Taught In School (But Aren’t):

#1 Individual Thought

Instead of regurgitating what the teacher says and mirroring their peers, people need to think for themselves only. That means no groupthink. Most people think they are unique but are only parroting. That’s why you can figure out who they are from just two of their beliefs. A lot of people struggle with who they really are but can’t even have a thought of their own. Life shouldn’t be so monochromatic and Borg-like. Calling all real individuals.

#2 Personal Finance, Saving & Budgets

The credit card and personal finance industry should not be the ones teaching us about money. And while I think Dave Ramsey’s advice from Total Money Makeover to start an emergency fund is golden; I’d like to nominate The Index Card by Helaine Olen as the curriculum. It is by far the best, most objective personal finance advice I’ve ever gotten. Takes all the confusion away. The name is from the idea that everything you need to know about finance fits on an index card – and the book even comes with it!

#3 Health & Nutrition

No fad diets. Just self-care and nutrition. Food selection and important information about vitamins, minerals, and bio-compounds. I know they teach health in school but c’mon… And why not include gardening and food prep?

#4 Resiliency & Failing Gracefully

The world can be crushing enough, perhaps resiliency and tenacity can be emphasized instead of measuring students against failure. Failure is inevitable after all, so people should be shown how to fall and get back up again.

Full list and full article at link.

---

How is school anything BUT a Prison that prevents children from learning these vital life skills by doing nothing but wasting their time with Indoctrination in preparation for a life of servitude?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I totally agree with this list. In addition to just saving though, we should be teaching our children how to properly invest as well.

What about swimming?

Great things in there, I'd grab about 6 of them and add a few;

-Understanding and identifying Govt Propaganda
    -Understanding how the 1st and 2nd amendments interface with Censorship
    by Social Media , MSM and Liberals
    -Understanding Collusional' Media manipulation (Case study using Coverage of Ron Paul 2012 potus election cycle)
    how MSM lies through omission and edits.
    -Teaching of the truth about Northern Aggression and Fed Greed regarding the Civil War, focusing on
    the reasons , not the battles, dates , and 'Generals' etc........
    - Expose students to the truth about the Religion of Global Warming.
    - Thorough coverage of the 10 amendments,how they are incrementally being dismantled, and
    how dozens of redundant Fed Agencies have suddenly cropped up over the last 20 years, and
    have produced nothing but terrorized citizens.
    - Clove hitch and Bowline
    - Finding a wife that won't nag.

We did pretty well with this list. Our girl graduated before the dawn of social media, but my continual mantra was, “If you don’t want the world to know, don’t tell anyone, for sure, don’t put it on the Internet.” She is a successful wife and mom to 5 children. She and husband have strictly limited access to the internet. She grew up hearing a healthy skepticism with regard to government, and living in a state capitol, we made sure she had access to local, state, and US representatives. One of the most liberal state senators we had was totally captivated by her, and it turned out to be one very interesting conversation.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Great things in there, I'd...add a few;

- Finding a wife that won't nag.
    #26 - Learning how to track and bag Unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    +rep.
    Agreed, great list.

I'd rank more prominently than others, but that's just me.

Knowing and using all those skills used to be called being a "grown up".

Now, with half those skills denounced as racist and the other half as sexist, is it any wonder why we now find ourselves surrounded by half-children, boors, dolts and idjits, in a Bennoton rainbow of colors?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would the schools teach that stuff which is better taught at home? I learned most of that from my parents and attended public school. Maybe part of the problem is too many people expecting the schools to teach kids stuff that they never had any business teaching. Too many lazy parents that want to outsource their job; then complain when it isn't done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    #26 - Learning how to track and bag Unicorns.
    #27 Treating infection from poorly cleaned wounds and severed limbs
    due to warm water shark attacks, cold water attack treatments
    probably already covered.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Why would the schools teach that stuff which is better taught at home? I learned most of that from my parents and attended public school. Maybe part of the problem is too many people expecting the schools to teach kids stuff that they never had any business teaching. Too many lazy parents that want to outsource their job; then complain when it isn't done right.
    School = daycare

You hit it on the head. Bernie Sanders made it abundantly clear, that "universal daycare" is the government school system. In IL they are trying to push out the 1/2 day kindergarten by forcing folks who wish to opt out of full day to drive to the other side of town. The majority of parents love them some all day kindergarten.

Proving once again, that you really cant be disappointed when the government fails to deliver something it promises.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

The only skill that I did learn at school was to do my tasks according to the instructions and requirements. Our professor was rather strict and he doubled all the assignments that were failed. Once I had to do my homework college project (the same task) four times and write three similar papers again and again till the last paper was a perfect variant of what he wanted to see. I'm not sure if it can be considered a basic life skill, but I think there're practically none of those taught at school really. That's why I chose to homeschool my kids.

You have done a great research. I Agree

Good stuff

They mentioned geography, very important indeed. A lot of people seem to think Syria and ISIS are somewhere in the adjacent county.

As for other academic subjects that don't get enough attention: history, history, history, and economics.

The focus on "STEM" is all well and good, but the (non-bull$#@!) social sciences shouldn't be neglected.

Yes, I totally agree with you but schools should add some more topics too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Health is the most important thing that we should focus on, but I think the education system nowadays are somehow designed to put so much unnecessary pressure to students.

Funny how simplicity, humility, and calmness are the ultimate lessons we could learn, not in school though.

Quote Originally Posted by alivecream View Post
    Health is the most important thing that we should focus on, but I think the education system nowadays are somehow designed to put so much unnecessary pressure to students.

Funny how simplicity, humility, and calmness are the ultimate lessons we could learn, not in school though.
    Education erodes childrens Mental Health.

Hell, even John Taylor Gatto (RIP) called public education a systemic authorized form of Child Abuse. Not teaching Life Skills is akin to throwing a child who cant swim in the deep end of the pool without first acclimating them to swimming in general. And that is basically what Public Education does to people. It functions by keeping people stupid, and casting the ILLUSION of Knowledge and Intellect. Being able to glue popcicle sticks together does not exactly teach kids how to recognize a Corporate Takeover, where the companies taking over seek only to bankrupt and kill a LOT of people.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

I think it is the parents responsibility to teach their children how to live. School should be for teaching the 3 Rs

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Unban @specsaregood
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
    One of my favorite quotes! LOVE Heinlein!
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Education erodes childrens Mental Health.

Hell, even John Taylor Gatto (RIP) called public education a systemic authorized form of Child Abuse. Not teaching Life Skills is akin to throwing a child who cant swim in the deep end of the pool without first acclimating them to swimming in general. And that is basically what Public Education does to people. It functions by keeping people stupid, and casting the ILLUSION of Knowledge and Intellect. Being able to glue popcicle sticks together does not exactly teach kids how to recognize a Corporate Takeover, where the companies taking over seek only to bankrupt and kill a LOT of people.
    YES! Gatto was amazing- got to meet him when I was a kid!

AND public school is only to turn you into a compliant factory worker- it is completely The Matrix.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    YES! Gatto was amazing- got to meet him when I was a kid!

AND public school is only to turn you into a compliant factory worker- it is completely The Matrix.
    I owe you a Rep!

It truly would have been an honor to meet the man. He can continue to live on as long as we continue to spread the soul of his ideas and use Knowledge and NOT Education to free as many minds as possible.
    1776 > 1984

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I owe you a Rep!

It truly would have been an honor to meet the man. He can continue to live on as long as we continue to spread the soul of his ideas and use Knowledge and NOT Education to free as many minds as possible.
    Exactly!

When my new students & I go through Dumbing Us Down, it blows their minds every time. True knowledge only grows under freedom.

And I owe you a +rep, as well!!!
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    We did pretty well with this list. Our girl graduated before the dawn of social media, but my continual mantra was, “If you don’t want the world to know, don’t tell anyone, for sure, don’t put it on the Internet.” She is a successful wife and mom to 5 children. She and husband have strictly limited access to the internet. She grew up hearing a healthy skepticism with regard to government, and living in a state capitol, we made sure she had access to local, state, and US representatives. One of the most liberal state senators we had was totally captivated by her, and it turned out to be one very interesting conversation.
    I know your post is from 2019, but I'd be interested to hear as much of this story as you'd be willing to tell (assuming you're willing to tell any of it).

Life Skills are the abilities you need to make the most out of life and have a better quality of life. They are the skills you need to accomplish your goals and live them to the full. Life skills are a necessary part of our lives; they make us better people and teach us to do things the right way. Life skills are essentials to maintain equilibrium with worldly affairs; they help us in every way. No matter a girl or boy basics of life are crucial for every human. Schools nowadays do not focus on life skills but prefer bookish knowledge. We know that teaching that is not enough for our children. Learning life skills saves your time in daily routine and dependability on other people or machines. They promote self dependability and boost your confidence as a child. Students should be pro at such skills apart from studies because we often meet such situations where these skills are needed in real life. Schools should add these skills set in their curriculum so that our children do not lack life skills. Schools should provide extra classes if not then accommodate with daily activities to nourish their minds.
    Life skill training helps to:
    • develop self-assurance,
    • encourage critical thinking,
    • foster independence,
    • And allow students to communicate more effectively.

There are many other advantages of having a life skills class and why everyone should consider taking it at least once. It's important to add such life skills to your daily routine.

There are many other advantages of having a life skills class and why everyone should consider taking it at least once. It's important to add such life skills to your daily routine.
    Not Taught in School.

Where did you find your "Life Skill Classes"? ,, I know some folks offer such.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Where did you find your "Life Skill Classes"?
    On line, of course. If it's not on line, an AI bot can't find it.

Who else would go around practicing making clichés?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-21-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast