Thread: 40% tariffs coming on Chinese vehicles? US criticizes China's 'egregious' tariffs

40% tariffs coming on Chinese vehicles? US criticizes China's 'egregious' tariffs

US criticizes China's 'egregious' tariffs on American cars ahead of G-20 summit

• U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said on Wednesday that he was examining all available tools to raise U.S. tariffs on Chinese vehicles to the 40 percent duties that China is now charging on U.S.-produced vehicles.
    • Automotive duties on both sides have been increased in tit-for-tat tariffs by both side.
    • The Trump administration is seeking sweeping changes to China's state-driven economic policies, including new protections for U.S. intellectual property, an end to joint-venture requirements, more access for U.S. firms to China's vast market and cuts to China's industrial subsidies.

Published 4 Hours Ago Updated 4 Hours Ago Reuters
    Mary F. Calvert | Reuters
    U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said on Wednesday that he was examining all available tools to raise U.S. tariffs on Chinese vehicles to the 40 percent duties that China is now charging on U.S.-produced vehicles.

Lighthizer said in a statement criticizing China's "egregious" tariffs on U.S. autos that he was taking such action at the direction of President Donald Trump.

The statement came just days before Trump is due to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping in Buenos Aires in a showdown that could ease or worsen the trade war between the world's two largest economies.

Automotive duties on both sides have been increased by tit-for-tat tariffs. The United States imposed a 25 percent tariff on Chinese vehicles on top of the 2.5 percent it normally charges. China had lowered tariffs for all other countries to 15 percent, but imposed an additional 25 percent retaliatory tariff on U.S. vehicles.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

China makes cars?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't even a thing nor are capital gains taxes
    Constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

What Chinese vehicles do we import?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Mostly US companies manufacturing cars in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Ron Paul know some weird people...

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    When I worked in the Industry I worked for a company that made the stainless steel exhaust tubing that went to the chinese factory where they made Buicks , I do not think though that they exported any of them .
    Do something Danke

Tariffs on Chinese cars won't impact very much. They produce about 25 million cars a year and only send us about 250,000. That is one percent of their output.

The US imported about 250,000 cars from China last year out of 5.2 million total imported vehicles (4.8%). https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ates-to-china/

By comparison, we imported about 2.5 million from Japan and 2.1 million from Canada. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-by-country/

17.2 million new vehicles were sold in the US last year. Chinese imports would account for 1.4% of that total. https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-aut...ber-1514993454

US companies have been getting around the Chinese tariff by making their cars there.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-29-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Tariffs on Chinese cars won't impact very much. They produce about 25 million cars a year and only send us about 250,000. That is one percent of their output.

The US imported about 250,000 cars from China last year out of 5.2 million total imported vehicles (4.8%). https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ates-to-china/

By comparison, we imported about 2.5 million from Japan and 2.1 million from Canada. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-by-country/

17.2 million new vehicles were sold in the US last year. Chinese imports would account for 1.4% of that total. https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-aut...ber-1514993454

US companies have been getting around the Chinese tariff by making their cars there.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

40 percent duties that China is now charging on U.S.-produced vehicles
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Nothing to see here, move along...
    We export about as many cars to them as they export to us- even with their tariff. And then there are the US cars which are made in China and sold in China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ing/503470002/

Altogether, Chinese sales of U.S.-made vehicles totaled about 266,657, representing less than 1% of the world's largest automotive market.

Here were the top 20 most exported models from U.S. plants to China in 2017:

BMW X5: 52,407
    Mercedes-Benz GLE: 40,304
    BMW X3: 34,609
    Lincoln MKC: 17,753
    Mercedes-Benz GLS: 17,420
    Mercedes-Benz R-Class: 13,402
    Ford Explorer: 12,906
    BMW X4: 10,928
    BMW X6: 9,027
    Tesla Model X: 8,848
    Jeep Grand Cherokee: 8,832
    Toyota Sienna: 7,460
    Ford Mustang: 7,137
    Tesla Model S: 5,931
    Jeep Wrangler: 5,302
    Lincoln Continental: 4,927
    Lincoln Navigator: 1,764
    Jeep Cherokee: 1,697
    Mercedes-Benz GL-Class: 1,061
    Chevrolet Camaro: 977
    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

We export about as many cars to them as they export to us- even with their tariff.
    So you are saying that Chinese tarrifs have no effects? People still buy the product, “even with their tariff”.

Thus the Chinese could also buy US soybeans, “even with their tariff”.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    So you are saying that Chinese tarrifs have no effects? People still buy the product, “even with their tariff”.

Thus the Chinese could also buy US soybeans, “even with their tariff”.
    We aren't a big market for Chinese cars. Putting a 40% tariff on those won't make much difference. China is a big market for US soybeans. Tariffs on that do matter to the growers.

We export about as many cars to them as they export to us- even with their tariff. And then there are the US cars which are made in China and sold in China.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ing/503470002/
    That Lincoln looks pretty good .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That Lincoln looks pretty good .
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Which one?
    I think the hot one in China will be the MKC 2019 4 wheel drive SUV , starts @ 34K gets 27 on the highway , seats five .Has the super cool grill . When you are driving to the Party meeting you will arrive refreshed .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think the hot one in China will be the MKC 2019 4 wheel drive SUV , starts @ 34K gets 27 on the highway , seats five .Has the super cool grill . When you are driving to the Party meeting you will arrive refreshed .
    Ahhh.... I had to ask because there was the Navigator and the Continental too.

I didn't even know there were 3 models of Lincoln.

This is the entire goal of tariffs.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't even a thing nor are capital gains taxes
    Constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who would buy a chinese car?
    Do something Danke