Thread: Woman Spends Months in Jail over Cotton Candy Mix Up

Woman Spends Months in Jail over Cotton Candy Mix Up

(NEWSER) – Dasha Fincher had a bag of blue cotton candy in the car with her when two Monroe County, Georgia, sheriff's deputies pulled the vehicle over on New Year's Eve in 2016. The deputies—who said they pulled the car over because of its dark window tint, but allegedly later admitted the windows were legal—asked her about the bag but didn't believe it was cotton candy. (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution notes Fincher and the driver allegedly had suspended licenses at the time.) A roadside field test said there was meth in the bag and Fincher was arrested and charged with meth trafficking and possession with intent to distribute. She couldn't pay her $1 million bond and stayed in jail for three months; in March 2017, Georgia Bureau of Investigation tests revealed there had been no meth in the bag. Four weeks later, charges were dropped, and now Fincher is suing over the whole ordeal, WMAZ reports.

Her federal lawsuit names the county, the deputies, and Sirchie Acquisitions, the company that manufactures the roadside drug test. Fincher alleges the test has a history of false positives, and that the blue food coloring used in the cotton candy triggered one. She also alleges the deputies were not trained in administering the test or in identifying street drugs, and that they ultimately violated her civil rights as a result. The suit says Fincher's incarceration caused her to miss "several major life events," including the birth of her twin grandsons, and that when her son brought the babies to the jail to meet her, he was arrested on an outstanding bench warrant. Shortly thereafter, the suit says that Fincher, "frustrated with her incarceration," broke her hand on a concrete wall.

http://www.newser.com/story/267705/w...dy-mix-up.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So it looks like it was a small amount of very old cotton candy shoved under the seat. It had reduced back down to crystals of blue colored sugar. No excuse for the time it took to properly identify the sugar, and no excuse for a person to be locked up that long for a “suspected” crime that should be easy to verify. Hope she wins her case.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I think the incarceration was wrong. However, I don't think her breaking her own hand because she is upset or her son being arrested for an outstanding warrant is worthy of monetary restitution. Stupid is as stupid does.

It sounds like a family of scofflaws, they probably should spend more time for all the crimes they just never were caught doing.

Maybe they would learn some respect for authority. I bet they don't even pay taxes.
    "The Patriarch"

She doesn't even look like someone who does meth. . More like someone who abuses Cotton candy.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Hope she wins her lawsuit. I don't cotton to false positives with drug test kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    It sounds like a family of scofflaws, they probably should spend more time for all the crimes they just never were caught doing.

Maybe they would learn some respect for authority. I bet they don't even pay taxes.
    Indeed. This is just another bunch of hateful ingrates who don't appreciate being SERVED. AND. PROTECTED.