Thread: Trade Or Don’t Trade

Trade Or Don’t Trade

Nations do not trade, people do. Trade is not war, it is peace.

When outsiders or governments impose tariffs, duties, sanctions, whether across the street or country lines, they are directly infringing on the rights of people to negotiate among themselves. It is also theft.

The term “Trade War” is used by people who are not part of the trade ie; those in government seeking to profit from a product they did not make.

Free Trade is voluntary. Fair Trade is forced.

We do not need missiles or bloodshed or military bases to trade. To do so means fair trade, which equates to force, meaning lobbyists/outsiders are in bed with government at the two individuals expense.

PAF

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Agree with the missiles, bloodshed, or military bases bit. The rest of it is overly simplified.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

When outsiders or governments impose tariffs, duties, sanctions, whether across the street or country lines, they are directly infringing on the rights of people to negotiate among themselves. It is also theft.

The term “Trade War” is used by people who are not part of the trade ie; those in government seeking to profit from a product they did not make.

Free Trade is voluntary. Fair Trade is forced.

We do not need missiles or bloodshed or military bases to trade. To do so means fair trade, which equates to force, meaning lobbyists/outsiders are in bed with government at the two individuals expense.

PAF

"You must spread some Reputation around..."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Agree with the missiles, bloodshed, or military bases bit. The rest of it is overly simplified.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

^^^THIS^^^
    “republicans”, I see. Ah well, we all start somewhere.

I tried being a libertarian but I got burnt out on the purity tests. Not much different than liberal behavior, where you step out of line and get dog-piled. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers but it's just what I've observed over the last decade, and frankly it's tiresome. I believe what I believe. Most of it aligns with Ron Paul's views. A dogmatic belief in "free trade" is one issue I couldn't come around on simply because I —speaking only for myself —got tired of feeling like a useful idiot for the globalists.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-22-2018 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I tried being a libertarian but I got burnt out on the purity tests. Not much different than liberal behavior, where you step out of line and get dog-piled. Sorry if that ruffles some feathers but it's just what I've observed over the last decade, and frankly it's tiresome. I believe what I believe. Most of it aligns with Ron Paul's views. A dogmatic belief in "free trade" is one issue I couldn't come around on simply because I —speaking only for myself —got tired of feeling like a useful idiot for the globalists.
    Purists are so enthralled by the theory of free trade that they don't see that foreign government intervention is as bad or worse than domestic government intervention.

Then there are the "cash register" libertarians who don't care about the moral, political or market implications of foreign government intervention as long as they save a buck.

I recognize that my liberty is protected as much as it is by my country and that which hurts my country or my fellow Americans hurts me, I will not sell my birthright for a mess of pottage.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aside from everything else you can no more have free trade and a regulatory state than you can have open borders and a welfare state.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

When you are trading with countries that use their citizens as slave labor, is that really voluntary? Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to advocate for any sanctions, I am aware of the harm that they can cause too. But the fact is that when there is exploitation involved it is not a win/win libertarian paradise situation for everyone.
    Last edited by William Tell; 11-22-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    When you are trading with countries that use their citizens as slave labor, is that really voluntary? Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to advocate for any regula When outsiders or governments impose tariffs, duties, sanctions, whether across the street or country lines, they are directly infringing on the rights of people to negotiate among themselves. It is also theft.
    When you are trading with countries that use their citizens as slave labor, is that really voluntary? Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to advocate for any sanctions, I am aware of the harm that they can cause too. But the fact is that when there is exploitation involved it is not a win/win libertarian paradise situation for everyone.[/QUOTE]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting from your phone sometimes makes you look like a bot. I hate that.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Posting from your phone sometimes makes you look like a bot. I hate that.
    Today I'm a Turkeybot. Happy Thanksgiving!
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Today I'm a Turkeybot. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Back at you, I have to start the turkey trot pretty soon, we're hosting this year.
    "The Patriarch"

Back at you, I have to start the turkey trot pretty soon, we're hosting this year.
    Somehow I already knew that, I must be the NSA.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Same. Everything here is GTG. All sides and desserts done. Turkey won't go in the oven for a bit longer. 4pm E.S.T. (Eat. Savory. Turkey.)

Purists are so enthralled by the theory of free trade that they don't see that foreign government intervention is as bad or worse than domestic government intervention.

Then there are the "cash register" libertarians who don't care about the moral, political or market implications of foreign government intervention as long as they save a buck.

I recognize that my liberty is protected as much as it is by my country and that which hurts my country or my fellow Americans hurts me, I will not sell my birthright for a mess of pottage.

regardless the economic occupation
    stem local or abroad;
    be it tax tarriff or ban;
    any purported "government" that intervenes in markets
    is a foreign state to free men otherwise peacefully contracting

my liberty is solely protected by my willingness to exercise it

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some [visitors] are aware of the difference, some are not.

I posted this thread because of two reasons:

1. USMCA (NAFTA 2.0) is being promoted as Free Trade, however it is clearly NOT.

2. To resurrect/raise awareness about Objectivism, which I fully support:

Last edited by PAF; 12-03-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around..."
    Covered.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    regardless the economic occupation
    stem local or abroad;
    be it tax tarriff or ban;
    any purported "government" that intervenes in markets
    is a foreign state to free men otherwise peacefully contracting

my liberty is solely protected by my willingness to exercise it
    Exactly.

And I'd + rep you again if I could.
    There is no spoon.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PAF again.
    Nailed it.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined