Thread: Ford Eyes Use of Customers' Personal Data To Boost Profits

Ford Eyes Use of Customers' Personal Data To Boost Profits

https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/1...-boost-profits

According to industry-watchers, Ford is looking to profit off the data it can collect from its 100 million customers. In addition to the data collected from its infotainment systems and mobile apps, "Ford's CEO recently suggested that the data collected by the company's financial services arm also represents a valuable, low-overhead asset," reports Threatpost. From the report:

"We have 100 million people in vehicles today that are sitting in Ford blue-oval vehicles," said Ford CEO Jim Hackett during a Freakonomics Radio podcast. "The issue in the vehicle, see, is: We already know and have data on our customers. By the way, we protect this securely; they trust us. We know what people make. How do we know that? It's because they borrow money from us. And when you ask somebody what they make, we know where they work, you know. We know if they're married. We know how long they've lived in their house because these are all on the credit applications. We've never ever been challenged on how we use that. And that's the leverage we got here with the data."

The comments, which were amplified by several auto-industry sources and the Detroit Free Press, sparked alarm in the Twitterverse. Against the backdrop of privacy disasters at Facebook and other stalwarts of the internet economy, the fear for many is that Ford sees selling access to consumers based on their lifestyle as a way forward. Is Ford considering selling consumer data as a revenue stream? Hackett stopped short of saying that -- and indeed, the data could instead simply be useful to the company internally, as a way to increase the value (and profit) of its other businesses.
    As usual, no $#@!s will be given. Well, what if its not $#@!s, but dollars? They make $#@! TONS of money by selling all this data about you that they force you to surrender, do they pay YOU a single $#@!ing dime? No? Then why the $#@! are you giving them all this information FOR FREE and making them rich, and you poor?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tell me again why I should cry for Ford because of Trumps steel tariffs?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    They make $#@! TONS of money by selling all this data about you that they force you to surrender, do they pay YOU a single $#@!ing dime? No? Then why the $#@! are you giving them all this information FOR FREE and making them rich, and you poor?
    Did you miss the part about how they got the info?
    "It's because they borrow money from us."
    Don't borrow money from them and they won't have the data.

With that said, I had briefly considered the idea of getting a new ranger or bronco in the next couple years. But if this is their attitude, then $#@! them.

They are wasting their time with me. I haven’t driven a Ford in over 30 years.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi