Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clapping banned because of exclusion, CAPS discouraged, because they upset snowflakes

Exclamation Clapping banned because of exclusion, CAPS discouraged, because they upset snowflakes

Clapping replaced with jazz hands over fears noise could trigger anxiety among students

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...d-fears-noise/

2 OCTOBER 2018 • 9:52PM

Clapping has been replaced with “jazz hands” at a student union, amid fears that the noise of applause could trigger anxiety among some students.

Whooping is also discouraged at Manchester University student union events on the basis that the loud noise may be a problem for those with sensory issues.

The use of “jazz hands” - where students wave their hands in the air - is the British Sign Language expression for applause and is deemed a more inclusive gesture.

At the student union’s first union meeting of the year, Manchester’s liberation and access officer Sara Khan argued that the traditional applause was not sufficiently “accessible” to all students.

The student union resolved to swap out audible clapping in favour of “jazz hands”, and to “encourage student groups and societies to do the same”. The ’ union also plans to make “BSL clapping part of inclusion training” for new students.

The motion, which was passed by the student’s senate with little opposition, notes that “loud noises including whooping and traditional applause can pose an issue for students with disabilities such as anxiety or sensory issues”.

It says that BSL clapping should be used and encouraged at student events such as debates, panels and talks as well as at meetings of the student senate.

In addition to this, all student groups and societies should be encouraged to follow suit and encourage their members to employ “jazz hands” instead of applause.

Jazz hands were adopted by the National Union of Students (NUS) in 2015 on the basis that clapping “triggers anxiety”.

Delegates at last year’s NUS conference said that students who whoop, cheer and clap should face “consequences”. Audience members were repeatedly warned that they must cease whooping to express support for a speaker, because it has a “serious impact” on the accessibility of the conference for disabled students.

Critics say such behaviour is typical of the “snowflake generation” of students, who are seen as over-sensitive and quick to take offence.

Last year it emerged that Oxford University's equality and diversity unit issued guidance to students advising them that students who avoid making eye contact with their peers could be guilty of racism.

The University of Glasgow started issuing “trigger warnings” for theology students studying the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, whereby students are told they may see distressing images and are given the opportunity to leave.

Earlier this year, the writer Rudyard Kipling’s “If” poem was scrubbed off a Manchester University building by university students who claim he was a “racist”.

Student leaders at the university declared that Kipling “stands for the opposite of liberation, empowerment, and human rights”.

The poem, which had been painted on the wall of the students’ union building by an artist, was removed by students in a bid to “reclaim” history on behalf of those who have been “oppressed” by “the likes of Kipling”.

An NUS spokesperson said the hand gesture referred to as ‘jazz hands’ is “designed to support those with disabilities and/or sensory conditions to participate in events”.

They added: “Students’ unions strive to make their events welcoming to all of their students; by acknowledging their experiences and responding to their needs.

“We should all aspire to improve our public spaces so that all members of society feel comfortable and able to contribute fully.”

A spokesman for Manchester University said: “We consider this a matter for the Students’ Union”.

A spokesman for the union said: "We hope this decision goes some way towards promoting a better way of doing politics so that more people from all walks of life find it easier to participate in decision making that will affect the way their Students’ Union is run."

University lecturers told DON'T USE CAPS as it frightens students

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...tudent-failure

UNIVERSITY lecturers have been told not to use words in capital letters when setting assignments because it might frighten students into failure.

By EUGENE HENDERSON
    PUBLISHED: 12:25, Mon, Nov 19, 2018 | UPDATED: 14:57, Mon, Nov 19, 2018

Course leaders say capitalising a word could emphasise "the difficulty or high-stakes nature of the task".

The memo says: "Despite our best attempts to explain assessment tasks, any lack of clarity can generate anxiety and even discourage students from attempting the assessment at all.

Generally, avoid using capital letters for emphasis and "the overuse of 'do', and, especially, 'DON'T'."

The memo also says that staff must be "explicit about any inexplicitness" in their assignment briefs.

And it warns that when students are unsure of an assessment, "they often talk to each other and any misconceptions or misunderstandings quickly spread throughout the group (usually aided and abetted by Facebook).

This can lead to further confusion and students may even then decide that the assessment is too difficult and not attempt it".

One staff member said they use capitals to emphasise the importance of a particular point so students do not miss it.

The lecturer said: "We have some excellent students but it's a constant battle against a system that wants to treat them like little kids. We are not doing our students any favours with this kind of nonsense."

The university said the guidance was sharing "best practice from the latest teaching research", adding: "We take pride in supporting our students to be the very best they can be."
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

ENJOY THE MENTAL BREAKDOWNS YOU WILL HAVE WHEN YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

ENJOY THE MENTAL BREAKDOWNS YOU WILL HAVE WHEN YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD.
    More like, enjoy the mental breakdowns you will have. They'll be fine.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    More like, enjoy the mental breakdowns you will have. They'll be fine.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Jazz hands just sounds racist .
    Do something Danke

They really should make jazz hands a required course...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They really should make jazz hands a required course...

Here is the REAL intent. Do you think these $#@!ing moron retard imbecile room temperature IQ jackboot Snowflakes would vote to protect the 1st Amendment, or against it?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At the student union’s first union meeting of the year, Manchester’s liberation and access officer Sara Khan argued that the traditional applause was not sufficiently “accessible” to all students.
    WHAT THE HECK IS A LIBERATION AND ACCESS OFFICER?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

SEE: COMMISSAR

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Who the $#@! gets upset and triggered by clapping?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I have ET, and seeing crowds doing Jazz Hands causes me anxiety.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Why does having an Extra-Terrestrial cause you to have anxiety over Jazz Hands?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why does having an Extra-Terrestrial cause you to have anxiety over Jazz Hands?
    https://www.essentialtremor.org/about-et/
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

How do you fly your plane?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How do you fly your plane?
    I think I've had it my whole life, at least since teenage years.

Relatively mild, and mostly in the hands. I attribute my quick reactions to having it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jazz hands? Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. And what about amputees feeling left out?

I think I've had it my whole life, at least since teenage years.

Relatively mild, and mostly in the hands. I attribute my quick reactions to having it.
    So you are the one whose hands are really on the Jazz?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Most experts agree that jazz hands cause ED...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Well, as least they don't require finger snapping like in the beatnik coffee shops.

Cool man, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Most experts agree that jazz hands cause ED...
    Watching that "Jazz Hands" video made me so gay, now if the doctors asked for a sperm sample, I'd have to fart in a cup.

I just watched this movie,, And it is both relevant,, and worth the time.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The problem I have with this logic is that you can infinitely subdivide it and always find yet another group that is "victimized", "marginalized", or "excluded" by a set of actions. It further makes it so that you end up having to pick and choose who is "most" victimized/marginalized/excluded, anyway, which deliberately excludes a group--yet this seems to be ignored, in most cases.

For example (using this logic), it could be construed that clapping is inclusive of those who are blind, since they can still hear the clap, then cue in on what's going on and clap as well, not to mention hear the event that typically allows clapping.

Likewise, "jazz hands" "excludes" those who are missing functionality of their hands or arms, either because of an accident, birth defect, or tragedy.

And this is really the problem I have with this line of thinking is that, when you push it to the extreme, it starts becoming patently ridiculous of what you should/should not do for "inclusive" reasons.

Unfortunately, a lot of disabilities are quickly gaining victimization status (along, simultaneously with empowerment), which results in this weird area of simultaneously being proud of ones disability, expecting to be catered to because of it, but also insisting that it's not "actually" a disability, but a "way of life".

I recall, a number of years back, a form member here, who was deaf, who touched on this, and that, at the end of there day, there's really just a lot of "I'm angry at the world because I'm deaf, and that's not fair so I'm going to lash out" that is driving this kind of attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if that analysis is true---combine that with a hugely paternalistic and empathetic individuals, and you're going to wind up with....unpleasant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    The problem I have with this logic is that you can infinitely subdivide it and always find yet another group that is "victimized", "marginalized", or "excluded" by a set of actions. It further makes it so that you end up having to pick and choose who is "most" victimized/marginalized/excluded, anyway, which deliberately excludes a group--yet this seems to be ignored, in most cases.

For example (using this logic), it could be construed that clapping is inclusive of those who are blind, since they can still hear the clap, then cue in on what's going on and clap as well, not to mention hear the event that typically allows clapping.

Likewise, "jazz hands" "excludes" those who are missing functionality of their hands or arms, either because of an accident, birth defect, or tragedy.

And this is really the problem I have with this line of thinking is that, when you push it to the extreme, it starts becoming patently ridiculous of what you should/should not do for "inclusive" reasons.

Unfortunately, a lot of disabilities are quickly gaining victimization status (along, simultaneously with empowerment), which results in this weird area of simultaneously being proud of ones disability, expecting to be catered to because of it, but also insisting that it's not "actually" a disability, but a "way of life".

I recall, a number of years back, a form member here, who was deaf, who touched on this, and that, at the end of there day, there's really just a lot of "I'm angry at the world because I'm deaf, and that's not fair so I'm going to lash out" that is driving this kind of attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if that analysis is true---combine that with a hugely paternalistic and empathetic individuals, and you're going to wind up with....unpleasant things.
    +REP

JUST THREW IN THE JAZZ HANDS TO SEE IF IT TRIGGERED DANKE'S ED
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    +REP

JUST THREW IN THE JAZZ HANDS TO SEE IF IT TRIGGERED DANKE'S ED

It's ET, and unlike ED, women love ET.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I heard he went home.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I heard he went home.
    That was Elvis.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It's ET, and unlike ED, women love ET.
    Eddie Torres, The Extra Testicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Eddie Torres, The Extra Testicle?

Oh you guys are impossible, making fun of someone with a disability.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I am head Libation officer here and have access .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast