Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My City wants to Ban Marijuana Dispensaries

My City wants to Ban Marijuana Dispensaries

As you probably know, Michigan's marijuana legalization proposal passed. Cities have to enact an ordinance if they want to ban marijuana establishments, which is what the City Council is planning to do tonight.

70% of my city voted for the state proposal and 60% voted for a city charter amendment to decriminalize it a few years ago.

A few nearby cities have already banned them less than two weeks after the election. Their rational is that there needs to be special codes to regulate it before new businesses are actually established. I'm sure that will be the same reasoning Council will use to support a ban and they will call it "temporary".

Any last minute tips or ideas to persuade them?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    As you probably know, Michigan's marijuana legalization proposal passed. Cities have to enact an ordinance if they want to ban marijuana establishments, which is what the City Council is planning to do tonight.

70% of my city voted for the state proposal and 60% voted for a city charter amendment to decriminalize it a few years ago.

A few nearby cities have already banned them less than two weeks after the election. Their rational is that there needs to be special codes to regulate it before new businesses are actually established. I'm sure that will be the same reasoning Council will use to support a ban and they will call it "temporary".

Are these ladies on your City Council?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

It will result in lost revenue for them to squander . Lost property tax monies , lost future business licensing monies , lost city or county income taxes etc
    Do something Danke

You don't want to be the last city to take advantage of a gold rush. If they wait, they run the risk of losing out on current and future revenue. Once these businesses find hospitable locations, why would they open another one right across the county line? Their customers are going to know where to find them - so the city planners can either bring the revenue into the city or drive it out.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Back in the late 80's I traveled in the South quite a bit . There were dry counties . As soon as you got to the county line a big liquor store in the next county , the dry counties were just missing out on all of that property tax and county tax for what was probably one of the highest gross revenue businesses . Those taxes are how they fund school systems and libraries and such . It is like just giving the money away to the next community.
    Do something Danke

A no vote on any business hurts later . Other business of even slightly similar types will just pass on to somewhere else in the future .
    Do something Danke

Smoking bans in a county where the next does not could hurt future bar business , Vape and tobacco shop business , new weed business etc
    Do something Danke

They unanimously voted to ban marijuana establishments (both medicinal and recreational). Some excuses include:

"We need more time to update our zoning codes"
    "It's federally illegal"
    "The state has a history of not being clear with their requirements"
    "We don't know how much revenue it would bring in"
    "We need to understand the public safety issues"
    Last edited by EBounding; 11-19-2018 at 10:34 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry to hear it, EBounding. It sounds like your community didn't want the extra tax revenues generated, or to provide a local dispensary for patients in need of medicine in their local community.

Rest assured, communities in Colorado and Washington State are reaping the benefits of marijuana... literally.

Yay, democracy! #thegodthatfailed
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

They unanimously voted to ban marijuana establishments (both medicinal and recreational). Some excuses include:

"We need more time to update our zoning codes"
    "It's federally illegal"
    "The state has a history of not being clear with their requirements"
    "We don't know how much revenue it would bring in"
    "We need to understand the public safety issues"
    Can I ask what city you are referring to? Detroit?
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Can I ask what city you are referring to? Detroit?
    It’s a small Detroit suburb, Berkley. Several other nearby cities have already opted out as well.

Thank you.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Are these ladies on your City Council?

Saves on LOTS of vomiting.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Land of the free.

Break my fookin' leg.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Just because something is legal doesn’t mean you have to buy it in a store.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Yay, democracy! #thegodthatfailed
    What's funny is most of Council and the Mayor are democrats and part of the city's Democratic Club.

One advantage we have though is that many of the city's residents are connected on facebook--it's how a recent bond proposal was defeated.

I made a poll asking what people thought of council's decision. Over 200 people do not favor it so far, less than 12 hours later. It would only take 1000 signatures to do a voter referendum and block the ordinance. MORE VOTING
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1603...2572600694195/
    Last edited by EBounding; 11-20-2018 at 09:52 AM.

What's funny is most of Council and the Mayor are democrats and part of the city's Democratic Club.

One advantage we have though is that many of the city's residents are connected on facebook--it's how a recent bond proposal was defeated.

I made a poll asking what people thought of council's decision. Over 200 people do not favor it so far, less than 12 hours later. It would only take 1000 signatures to do a voter referendum and block the ordinance. MORE VOTING
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1603...2572600694195/
    Next time they say they want more money for something I would rub their noses in it .
    Do something Danke

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    That qualifies as a Bestest Picture ... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6710885

I'm learning that some people who voted for the marijuana proposal are all, "but just not in my backyard!".

So I have the ear of one of the Councilmembers. We don't agree on everything but we do talk frequently on city matters and this is one of them. His main reason for the ban is that it's against federal law even though he personally opposes prohibition. I told him he took an oath to uphold the US and Michigan Constitutions--not the federal laws. No one in the city can enforce federal drug laws.

What's the best argument to persuade someone with this position?

The notion that the Democrats are the champions of civil liberties is outdated. But all the towns I have connections with (Howell, Brighton, Hartland, LInden, Fenton, Byron) are also moving to quash any legal sales, and they're not all Democrat strongholds.

Byron is especially missing the boat here. They've got nothing - a small pot shop would breathe life back into them.

So I have the ear of one of the Councilmembers. We don't agree on everything but we do talk frequently on city matters and this is one of them. His main reason for the ban is that it's against federal law even though he personally opposes prohibition. I told him he took an oath to uphold the US and Michigan Constitutions--not the federal laws. No one in the city can enforce federal drug laws.

Democrats? Money. That actually works with Republicans too.

Meet him halfway. Have him create legislation that would open it up if the feds decriminalized it, then move the goalpost again.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The notion that the Democrats are the champions of civil liberties is outdated. But all the towns I have connections with (Howell, Brighton, Hartland, LInden, Fenton, Byron) are also moving to quash any legal sales, and they're not all Democrat strongholds.

Byron is especially missing the boat here. They've got nothing - a small pot shop would breathe life back into them.
    There's two adjacent cities I could see allowing this; Southfield and Oak Park. I don't know if they opted out yet. If they opened shops across the street (which are already commercially zoned), my city would get all of the perceived "negative" impact (Traffic, "transients", smells) and none of the benefits. It's one argument I'm trying.

The ordinance ban isn't final yet since there's still a second reading.

You could tell him that since it is against federal law a local ban is redundant, let the feds and the state deal with it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You could tell him that since it is against federal law a local ban is redundant, let the feds and the state deal with it.
    That's a good point. Thanks

Did you ask them why they're not a dry alcohol area? Oh riiiight probably because they drink and therefore alcohol is different, somehow. I know that wouldn't work for you but I like shaming hypocrites...
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

OMG don't you get it think of all the street corner dealers that will lose their income if there are legal despensaries :/

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Did you ask them why they're not a dry alcohol area? Oh riiiight probably because they drink and therefore alcohol is different, somehow. I know that wouldn't work for you but I like shaming hypocrites...
    What's funny is one long-time councilman did a hit and run after drinking at an alcoholic establishment in the city earlier in the year. He resigned. Shockingly, no one on Council made a push to ban alcohol in the city.
    Last edited by EBounding; 11-23-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast