Thread: Ocasio-Cortez Blesses New Push To Oust Incumbent Democrats In Primaries

Cool Ocasio-Cortez Blesses New Push To Oust Incumbent Democrats In Primaries

In a significant escalation of her activism-driven approach to politics, Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) has urged other progressives to mount primary challenges against some of the more conservative Democratic members of Congress.
    Ocasio-Cortez delivered the appeal in a phone call on Saturday with some 700 progressive activists organized by Justice Democrats, the group of alumni of Sen. Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential bid.
    “Long story short, I need you to run for office,” Ocasio-Cortez began her remarks. “We all need to run at all levels of government, but I really hope that many of you join me here in Congress.”
    Justice Democrats recruited Ocasio-Cortez to run and played a key role in her upset of Rep. Joe Crowley, a House power-broker, in New York’s Democratic primary in June. Ocasio-Cortez then easily won the seat Crowley has held since 1999 in this month’s general election.
    The group is calling its new campaign #OurTime. The initiative asks Justice Democrats’ army of activists to help identify Democratic House incumbents who are “demographically and ideologically out-of-touch with their districts,” and identify people who might make good primary challengers to them.
    Joining Ocasio-Cortez in backing the #OurTime initiative is Rep.-elect Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.).
    Justice Democrats’ inclusion of demographic criteria likely means that even some reliably progressive white Democrats who represent more diverse districts won’t be safe from such challenges in 2020. The group already showcased that approach with its support for Ayanna Pressley, a black Boston city council member who unseated progressive Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) in a primary in September.
    If I made people mad, they could have put me on the dog-walking committee or whatever. They still might. Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.)
    Ocasio-Cortez and leaders of Justice Democrats say they are driven by a conviction that most current Democratic members of Congress are not up to the task of enacting the radical solutions to address the country’s ― and the planet’s ― most pressing problems. The most urgent of those crises, they said, include climate change, widening economic inequality and persistent racial injustice.
    “There are some good people who want to push for stuff, but they don’t have the backup right now to do anything big,” said Saikat Chakrabarti, a founder of Justice Democrats who is headed to Washington to serve as Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff. “So we need new leaders, period. We’ve got to primary folks.”
    “If we don’t have folks who are mission-focused, and laser-focused on solving these gigantic problems, we just aren’t going to get them solved in time,” he added.
    It is highly unusual for a member of Congress to support a massive number of primary challenges targeting party colleagues.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/alexandri...165234319.html

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-18-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Supporting Member
    California

Maybe it's a good thing. If the social democrats expose their extremism and general incoherence too quickly, maybe there will be some moderate backlash to some of their kookier ideas. I don't think they appeal to moderates who are paying attention but who might not realize just how left wing these people can be.

Dori
    www.LittleLibertarians.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori_G View Post
    Maybe it's a good thing. If the social democrats expose their extremism and general incoherence too quickly, maybe there will be some moderate backlash to some of their kookier ideas. I don't think they appeal to moderates who are paying attention but who might not realize just how left wing these people can be.

Dori
    www.LittleLibertarians.com

'Signatures' contain information that you want to include at the bottom of all your posts. This might include pictures, links to your site(s), quotes, etc.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/faq.php...atures_avatars

Might save from typing:

"Dori
    www.LittleLibertarians.com"

everytime
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Supporting Member
    California

Thanks Danke! I was looking for that feature. But I keep getting an error message that I'm not permitted to have a signature :'(

I'm chalking this one up to sexism...

Thanks Danke! I was looking for that feature. But I keep getting an error message that I'm not permitted to have a signature :'(

Maybe you need more posts first. You aren't by chance a lawyer? I know they are restricted.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I think you need 100 posts. keep posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    California

Yep - I'm a lawyer. So lawyers can't have signatures?? Is this something I can turn off?

Yep - I'm a lawyer. So lawyers can't have signatures?? Is this something I can turn off?
    Danke is messing with you.... I think you need 100 posts, it may be possible for a mod to change that for you. But if you just get involved with the conversation here you should be there in no time.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Nah , all genders are equally restricted .
    Do something Danke

Supporting Member
    California

I see. I suppose I deserved that :P

I thought it might be somehow related to attorney advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Danke is messing with you.... I think you need 100 posts, it may be possible for a mod to change that for you. But if you just get involved with the conversation here you should be there in no time.
    You ruin all my fun.

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    That sounds really cool. Best wishes on this! So I take it this is about simple innocent golden rule type principles we agree one, and doesn't pick sides on controversial subjects that are debated in the liberty movement, such as abortion?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You ruin all my fun.

And...
    I feel like dannno.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I think you need more posts or more rep first.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They're going to take back all three chambers of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    They're going to take back all three chambers of government.

and people voted for her, a lot of them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

While I support Drain The Swamp in principle, is this the best way to go about it?

Also what a stunning difference between two parties young rebels. Young Democrat leaders are going after moderate democrats (not clear if MAGA funder Adelson supported Dems among them?) in sharp contrast to young Republicans who have been going after extremist Conservatives (Ivanka Trump slams Conservative GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore).

Unlike these crazy Dems who don't seem interested in getting along, GOP's young rebels are also taking some very healthy steps towards bipartisanship.

MAGA Bi-Partisanship: Trump son-in-law Jared will be guide for the future

So the blue dog Democrats will change parties and drag the GOP farther left. This is exactly what brought us the Neocons and all their goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    So the blue dog Democrats will change parties and drag the GOP farther left. This is exactly what brought us the Neocons and all their goodness.
    Although Dem left wing conservatives neoconservatives like Joe Lieberman, Dershowitz, ADL leadership etc have been praising GOP MAGA-Jarvanka wing, don't think they have officially joined Republican party. Just guessing and I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Although Dem left wing conservatives neoconservatives like Joe Lieberman, Dershowitz, ADL leadership etc have been praising GOP MAGA-Jarvanka wing, don't think they have officially joined Republican party. Just guessing and I could be wrong.
    Why pick sides when you can infiltrate them all?
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Maybe this time it will lead to the breakup of both major parties.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Holy mackerel..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.