Thread: Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

Trump gives Kelley Paul’s push for criminal justice reform a major boost

BY LESLEY CLARK
    November 14, 2018

For Kelley Paul, improving the nation’s criminal justice system is a family affair.

Her husband, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, has been a leading Republican champion of efforts to curb mandatory sentencing. His father, former Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, has been pushing the cause for decades.

Now Kelley Paul has become a major advocate, meeting with senators and anyone who will listen in hopes of passing legislation to expand treatment opportunities for federal prisoners.

On Wednesday morning, as supporters hoped for an endorsement from President Donald Trump, she appeared on one of his favorite shows, “Fox & Friends,” to make her pitch.

“This has support on both sides of the aisle,” Paul said. “President Trump has been a leader on this, Ivanka and Jared Kushner as well. I think it’s just incredible that we may finally take a leap forward.”

“Kelley was our secret weapon, we brought her in as the closer,” said Holly Harris, executive director of the Justice Action Network, a leading advocacy group. “She’s passionate and powerful and she can get some of the meetings that it’s difficult for the average advocate to land.”

Trump had earlier taken notice of Paul. At a rally in Lexington last month for Rep. Andy Barr, R-Kentucky, the president urged more television appearances for Kelley Paul.

“She has become the biggest star in the family,” Trump said.

In an interview earlier this fall, Paul said her husband and father-in-law’s advocacy “opened my eyes to the extent of how bad our system is broken and how people are suffering through that.”

read more:
    https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...221629225.html
    Last edited by jct74; 11-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    on Fox & Friends Wednesday morning @17:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUsHDKv_jQo
    Last edited by jct74; 11-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.

on Christian Broadcasting Network 11/15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T543wPNIYGw
    Last edited by jct74; 11-17-2018 at 10:21 PM.

In an interview earlier this fall, Paul said her husband and father-in-law’s advocacy “opened my eyes to the extent of how bad our system is broken and how people are suffering through that.”
    I'm glad that she got involved with this.
    So many lives are destroyed through our prison system.
    It's just a revolving door of hopelessness.

“I’ll be waiting with a pen,” Trump told the group, which included Sens. Paul and South Carolina Republicans, Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott.

Advocates and lawmakers said Trump’s approval helps the push for the most significant criminal justice overhaul in decades., perhaps during Congress’ current lame duck session.
    Credit where credit is due.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, though, cautioned that the chamber is running out of days to accomplish its goals.
    Well, $#@!.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Credit where credit is due.
    Every black Democrat in the house voted against it.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    On what grounds?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    On what grounds?
    Couldn't tell ya, but its true.
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll215.xml

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Couldn't tell ya, but its true.
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll215.xml
    Wait, did they have the vote on it? Or is this from a past vote?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Wait, did they have the vote on it? Or is this from a past vote?
    This was the initial bill's vote in the house. The Senate just amended it and is looking for a vote on it, then it will go back to the house to vote on the amended form.

That's one of the reasons why Black's need to walk away. These people do not give a rats ass about their constituents.

Candace Owens: ‘Liberals Believe’ that Blacks ‘Are Their Slaves’
    https://www.breitbart.com/radio/2018...-their-slaves/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This was the initial bill's vote in the house. The Senate just amended it and is looking for a vote on it, then it will go back to the house to vote on the amended form.
    Ah, thanks. I didn't think it had been brought up again for vote yet.

Trump's support of prison reforms is encouraging. Let's hope the bill passes.

Go Kelley Paul!

They don't want to lose part of their victim status.

They may also be playing the drug war game and blaming drugs for the disproportionate criminality and poverty of their constituents.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Kelly's very impressive.

To tell you the truth, she's a better public speaker than Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Kelly's very impressive.

To tell you the truth, she's a better public speaker than Rand.
    Maybe she should run for President next time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watch – Kelley Paul on Criminal Justice Reform: ‘Just Locking People Up Is Not Solving the Problem’

by Kyle Morris
    19 Nov 20187

Kelley Paul, the wife of Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), sat down with Breitbart News Deputy Political Editor Amanda House last week to offer her thoughts on why criminal justice reform is needed in America.
    Paul says she is very enthusiastic about the FIRST STEP Act, a bill that would ease federal sentencing laws and that President Trump put his weight behind last Wednesday.

“I think it’s really exciting and incredible. This is an incredible day for bipartisanship, for a great bill that hopefully we will get brought to the Senate floor,” Paul told House moments after President Trump’s endorsement. “I appreciate the leadership that Jared Kushner and Ivanka have shown on criminal justice reform.”

Paul claims this is an issue all Americans can support.

“If we were to be able to actually finally make some strides in this area, it will be the first strides that have been made,” Paul said. “President Obama wasn’t able to do this. This is something that, I think, right and left come together. People in the Christian communities and Jewish communities come together on. Progressives come together on it. So, it’s a great bill. It is very modest in scope, that’s why they call it the first step and I’m hopeful that we can get a vote on it.”

'
    read more:
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...second-chance/

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's reluctance to hold a vote on a popular criminal justice bill has angered top Republican senators and created an unusual rift with a longtime GOP ally, Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa. And on Friday, it also brought on a tweet from President Donald Trump."Hopefully Mitch McConnell will ask for a VOTE on Criminal Justice Reform," Trump tweeted. "It is extremely popular and has strong bipartisan support. It will also help a lot of people, save taxpayer dollars, and keep our communities safe. Go for it Mitch!"
    Minutes later Grassley tweeted that he and the president had spoken about "the growing support" for the legislation.
    "Pres Trump told me he wants it done THIS CONGRESS," Grassley tweeted.
    Grassley has spent years working to build a coalition around the bill and is pushing for a year-end vote. Grassley says more than two-thirds of the Senate supports it. But McConnell is refusing to bring the legislation forward in a standoff that's dividing the Republican majority and putting President Donald Trump on the spot.
    "We've done what needs to be done," Grassley said about the overwhelming support for the bill. "So what's holding it up?"
    For the 85-year-old chairman of the Judiciary Committee, this is not the way the Senate is supposed to operate. Grassley was expecting some deference from McConnell after delivering on Trump's judicial nominees — including two now on the Supreme Court. Despite Trump's support for the measure, McConnell says it's divisive. His reluctance to take up Grassley's priority shows the limits of the Senate's old-fashioned customs in an era of heightened partisan politics.
    "What's so irritating about this is, first of all, he and I have been hand-in-glove working to get the judiciary vacancies filled," Grassley told Iowa reporters.
    "I think I ought to have some consideration for delivering on tough Supreme Court nominees, and a lot of tough circuit court nominees and maybe even once in a while you get a tough district court nominee," Grassley went on.

Trump has called senators about the bill and spoke briefly about it Friday at an event on safe neighborhoods in Kansas City.

The bill is a project of Trump's son-in-law, White House adviser Jared Kushner, and would be the biggest sentencing overhaul in decades. It would reduce mandatory prison terms for certain drug crimes and give judges in some cases more discretion on punishments. It would allow about 2,600 federal prisoners sentenced for crack cocaine offenses before August 2010 the opportunity to petition for a reduced penalty. It also includes provisions to encourage education and workforce training in prisons.

Roughly 90 percent of prison inmates are held in state facilities and would not be affected by the legislation.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said Thursday that bill backers are making a last-push to attach it to the spending measure and picking up new supporters. But he acknowledged the package's chances are slipping with each passing day. "We're still lobbying Sen. McConnell — he has all the power to allow it or not allow it," said Paul.
    McConnell and Grassley have worked side by side for decades. When then-President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court in early 2016, Grassley stood by McConnell's decision to keep the seat open during the election year for the new president to decide. He's ushered in 84 Trump judicial nominees, including a record number of circuit court judges.
    But their split over criminal justice reform is testing not just their partnership but also the longstanding norms of the Senate.

"What's holding it up is our leader, the majority leader," Grassley said. "There's no reason it shouldn't come up."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell...-politics.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Trump said Tuesday he believes the criminal justice reform bill will pass, after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, under pressure, vowed to bring the legislation to the Senate floor for a vote as early as this week.

McConnell, R-Ky., made the decision after more than three years of bipartisan congressional support for the policy that would overhaul the nation’s sentencing laws. The bill has been supported by a large group of lawmakers, including Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and outgoing House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis.
    McConnell announced Tuesday that "at the request of the President and following improvements to the legislation that have been secured by several members, the Senate will take up the recently revised Criminal Justice bill" this work period. McConnell's office noted that the bill could be taken up "as early as the end of this week."
    "Members should now be prepared to work between Christmas and New Year's if necessary in order to complete our work," McConnell announced. Because the bill has been revised, the Senate would need to bounce it back to the House. In January, Democrats take back the majority in that chamber of Congress, while the Senate maintains a GOP hold.
    The president applauded McConnell's decision to move the bill to the floor. Trump first announced his support for the legislation last month.

“We got word that Mitch McConnell, we’re putting up for a vote,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office Tuesday. “Criminal Justice Reform is something people have been working on for many years. It looks like it is going to be passing in a bipartisan way.”

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...o-senate-floor

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Senate advanced a White House-backed criminal justice reform bill on Monday, paving the way for senators to try to pass the bill as early as Tuesday.

Senators voted 82-12 to end debate on the legislation, which merges a House-passed prison reform bill with a handful of changes to sentencing laws.
    Twelve Republicans voted against advancing the legislation despite President Trump endorsing the measure in November: GOP Sens. John Barrasso (Wyo.), Richard Burr (N.C.), Tom Cotton (Ark.), Mike Enzi (Wyo.), John Kennedy (La.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Jim Risch (Idaho), Ben Sasse (Neb.), Dan Sullivan (Alaska), Mike Rounds (S.D.) and Pat Toomey (Pa.).

The Senate is expected to vote on potential changes to the legislation as soon as Tuesday before taking a final vote on the bill.
    “There are a number of members with outstanding concerns that they feel are still unresolved. ... The Senate will be considering amendments before we vote on final passage later this week,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said ahead of the vote.
    Though supporters rolled out a final version of the bill last week to try to win over more GOP senators, conservatives, led by Cotton and Kennedy, are expected to get votes on three amendments.
    Cotton, in a National Review op-ed published Monday, said his potential changes would help "limit the damage" and conservatives who had already said they would support the bill "have jumped on the bandwagon too soon."
    "A number of serious felonies, including violent crimes, are still eligible for early release in the version of the bill the Senate will vote on in a matter of days. In short, the First Step Act flunks their basic test to protect public safety," Cotton wrote.
    He added in a separate tweet that opponents to his amendments were circulating false claims about his proposed changes.
    Cotton and Kennedy’s changes would including requiring that the victims or families of victims are notified when an individual is released. Another change would be to make publicly available rearrest data for those released, as well as information on prior offenses by those released and the crimes for which they were imprisoned.
    The Kennedy-Cotton amendments would also add approximately 10 offenses to a list that excludes someone from being eligible for the bill’s earned -time credits, which could be used to shorten sentences.
    Toomey said in a statement that he was still weighing supporting the bill but voted no on Monday because it will block senators from voting on an amendment that he wanted to offer.
    “The First Step Act contains worthwhile provisions that seek to improve the criminal justice system and reduce offender recidivism, which is why I am seriously considering supporting it. However, today’s procedural vote was designed to preclude amendments, including one I intended to offer to support victims of crime," Toomey said.
    The amendment votes are expected to be held with a simple majority threshold, meaning at least a few GOP senators would need to join with all Democrats to block them from getting added to the bill.
    Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who helped craft the deal along with Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), warned that as currently drafted that he believes Cotton's amendments are "poison pills" meant to undercut the legislation as a whole.
    "The amendments that he will propose tomorrow, the senator from Arkansas, have been opposed by groups across the board, left and right, conservative, progressive, Republican, Democrat, they all oppose his amendments. ...If he goes with the amendments we've seen, we're going to have to do our best to oppose him," Durbin said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ce-reform-bill

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Senate passed a sweeping criminal justice bill Tuesday that addresses concerns that the nation's war on drugs had led to the imprisonment of too many Americans for non-violent crimes without adequately preparing them for their return to society.Senate passage of the bill by a vote of 87-12 culminates years of negotiations and gives President Donald Trump a signature policy victory, with the outcome hailed by scores of conservative and liberal advocacy groups. The House is expected to pass the bill this week, sending it to the president's desk for his signature.
    The bill gives judges more discretion when sentencing some drug offenders and boosts prisoner rehabilitation efforts. It also reduces the life sentence for some drug offenders with three convictions, or "three strikes," to 25 years. Another provision would allow about 2,600 federal prisoners sentenced for crack cocaine offenses before August 2010 the opportunity to petition for a reduced penalty.
    "America is the greatest Country in the world and my job is to fight for ALL citizens, even those who have made mistakes," Trump tweeted moments after the vote.
    "This will keep our communities safer, and provide hope and a second chance, to those who earn it. In addition to everything else, billions of dollars will be saved. I look forward to signing this into law!" Trump added.
    The vote also thrilled Democrats. Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said the nation's prisons are full of Americans who are struggling with mental illness and addiction, and who are overwhelmingly poor. He said the nation's criminal justice system "feeds on certain communities and not on others," and said the bill represents a step toward "healing" for those communities.
    "Let's make no mistake, this legislation, which is one small step, will affect thousands and thousands of lives," Booker said.

The Senate turned back three amendments Tuesday from Republican senators Tom Cotton of Arkansas and John Kennedy of Louisiana, who said the bill endangered public safety. Supporters voiced concerns that passing any of the amendments would have sunk the bill.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/critics-crimi...-politics.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Congress approved a sweeping bipartisan criminal justice reform bill on Thursday, handing President Trump a major legislative victory on an issue championed by his White House.

The House approved the bill 358-36, sending it to Trump's desk for his signature.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...to-trumps-desk

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment