Thread: Rand Paul's pro-life plan to ban the shackling of pregnant women in prison

Rand Paul's pro-life plan to ban the shackling of pregnant women in prison

Rand Paul's pro-life plan to ban the shackling of pregnant women in prison

by Jack Hunter
    November 14, 2018

The following horror story was told by former prisoner Tonier Cain-Muldrow to Vice in January:

“While I was incarcerated I miscarried at five months pregnant. They shackled me to the bed and left me to lay there for several hours with my deceased baby stuck between my legs. My lifeless baby was unable to fully abort and I was left lying there hopeless and helpless. I will never be able to erase that memory.”
    In September, Reason's C.J. Ciaramella reported on a pregnant woman named Pamela Winn who was a federal prisoner in Georgia in the early 2000s. Winn’s wrists and ankles were regularly shackled during transport, which is obviously not ideal for expecting women. During one of those transports, Winn fell while trying to climb into a van.

"My wrists being secured to the belly chain on me, it was like a tree falling. There was no way for me to break my fall. I couldn't move or do anything but fall. From that point is when I started bleeding."

"Once I got to the hospital, I'm shackled to the bed in excruciating pain. I've got two male officers down between my legs that I don't know anything about. You're already experiencing a loss and then you have to be humiliated and embarrassed on top of that."
    Winn, who was about six weeks pregnant at the time, lost the baby.

There are many stories like these. Why is something so inhumane even happening?

Why is a country like the United States shackling pregnant women in the first place?

That’s the question Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., seeks to address with his bipartisan Pregnant Women in Custody Act of 2018, introduced on Wednesday along with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y. The bill seeks to protect the health and safety of pregnant women in federal custody and, according to Paul’s press release ,would end the practice of using “restraints and restrictive housing on pregnant federal inmates and incentivize states to adopt similar practices by leveraging existing federal assistance programs.” This Senate legislation is the companion bill to the House’s Pregnant Women in Custody Act introduced by Reps. Karen Bass, D-Calif., and Mia Love, R-Utah.

read more:
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...omen-in-prison

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sens. Paul, Gillibrand Introduce Bill Protecting Pregnant Women in Federal Custody

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    November 14, 2018

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senators Rand Paul (R-KY) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) will introduce the Pregnant Women in Custody Act of 2018 to help guarantee the health and safety of women who are pregnant and give birth while in federal custody, as well as to encourage states to pursue reforms that would ensure adequate protections for such inmates.

The bill would prohibit the use of restraints and restrictive housing on pregnant federal inmates and incentivize states to adopt similar practices by leveraging existing federal assistance programs. It serves as a companion to H.R. 6805, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Karen Bass (D-CA) and Mia Love (R-UT) in September 2018.

"While debates over the best ways to address problems in our criminal justice system have been occurring for years, there are some reforms that are just common sense, like protecting the health of pregnant incarcerated women and their unborn children. An incarcerated individual is still a human being whose life deserves to be valued and protected, which is why our proposal prohibits the use of restraints on pregnant federal inmates, particularly when they are in labor, and ensures these women are treated with compassion and respect as they bring new life into the world,” said Senator Paul.

“Pregnancy and childbirth take an enormous physical toll on women’s bodies and require consistent medical attention, but in many states across our country, incarcerated pregnant and postpartum women are often restrained and placed in solitary without access to adequate medical and nutritional care. This inhumane and archaic treatment of pregnant women and new mothers is why I am proud to introduce the Pregnant Women in Custody Act of 2018,” said Senator Gillibrand. “This legislation would create and uphold a national standard of care for mothers who are serving their time in an already flawed criminal justice system in dire need of reforms. Congress should be protecting and valuing mothers wherever they are in our society, and I urge my colleagues to join me in supporting this bipartisan legislation.”

Over 2,000 women give birth while in custody each year. During the course of their pregnancies and in postpartum recovery, a majority of pregnant inmates are placed in restraints and restrictive housing, even during labor. The use of such restraints can lead to muscle tears, bone separation, blocked blood circulation, and miscarriage. Placing pregnant inmates in restrictive housing creates a risk of mental and physical harm from a lack of medical and nutritional care.

While 25 states and the District of Columbia have already restricted the use of restraints on pregnant inmates, no federal law exists prohibiting that practice.

You can find more background on this bipartisan legislation below, and you can read the entire bill HERE.

The Pregnant Women in Custody Act of 2018:

• Ensures access to resources necessary to meet the unique needs of pregnant women;
    • Ensures the Bureau of Prisons captures accurate data on the health care needs of pregnant inmates, while also prohibiting the cataloging of personally identifiable information;
    • Prohibits the use of restraints on pregnant and postpartum inmates (up to eight weeks postpartum), unless she poses an immediate risk of escape or physical harm to herself or others; and
    • Encourages reform at the state level by providing for a preference in grant funding for states who have enacted or implemented services or pilot programs aimed at enhancing the safety and wellness of pregnant inmates.
    o This bill does not call for new funding but rather provides incentives by asking the Department of Justice to prioritize awards from existing grant programs to states who have made these changes.
    https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/sen...ederal-custody

Why are they shackling pregnant women?

Because they can.

Can't pass up any opportunity to remind folks who's boss, after all.

It's the "you inna heep 'o trouble, boy" mentality. It is the mindset of monsters.
    Last edited by osan; 11-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Winn, who was about six weeks pregnant at the time, lost the baby.
    Six weeks? How would anyone know she was pregnant?

The concept of the new requirement is good, but can’t they come up with a better example?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

The concept of the new requirement is good, but can’t they come up with a better example?
    ??

“While I was incarcerated I miscarried at five months pregnant. They shackled me to the bed
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

IIRC, all female intake are tested.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    ??
    There are two examples in the article. Ditch the second example.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.