Thread: White House Weighs Extraditing Turkish Cleric Gulen From US To Appease Erdogan

White House Weighs Extraditing Turkish Cleric Gulen From US To Appease Erdogan

In what is the most shocking geopolitical news of the day, NBC reports that the Trump administration is weighing extraditing the nemesis of Turkish President Recep Erdogan, cleric Fethulah Gulen who has been living for years in relative seclusion in rural Pennsylvania, from the U.S. in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
    According to the NBC report, Trump administration officials last month asked federal law enforcement agencies to examine legal ways of removing the exiled Turkish cleric in an attempt to persuade Erdogan to ease pressure on the Saudi government. The effort includes directives to the Justice Department and FBI that officials reopen Turkey's case for his extradition, as well as a request to the Homeland Security Department for information about his legal status, four sources told NBC.
    In hopes of finding immigration irregularities, the White House has requested details about Gulen's residency status in the U.S. Gulen - who has been living in Pennsylvania since the late 1990s - has a Green Card.

As NBC also adds, there was a certain level of incredulity at this sequence of events: career officials at the agencies pushed back on the White House requests, the U.S. officials and people briefed on the requests said.
    "At first there were eye rolls, but once they realized it was a serious request, the career guys were furious," said a senior U.S. official involved in the process.
    What is strange is that while Trump appears eager to appease Erdogan by handing him his arch enemy, the person whom the Turkish president has blamed for creating a "shadow government", and being responsible for the failed 2016 coup attempt, a Turkish official said the government does not link its concerns about the Khashoggi murder with Gulen's extradition case.
    "We definitely see no connection between the two," the official said. "We want to see action on the end of the United States in terms of the extradition of Gulen. And we're going to continue our investigation on behalf of the Khashoggi case."
    So why the extradition push? According to NBC, the secret effort to resolve one of the leading tensions in U.S.-Turkey relations – Gulen's residency in the U.S. – provides a window into how President Donald Trump is trying to navigate hostility between two key allies after Saudi officials murdered Khashoggi on October 2 at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.
    It suggests the White House could be looking for ways to appease and contain Erdogan's ire over the murder while preserving Trump's close alliance with Saudi Arabia's controversial de facto leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...an-lira-surges
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Donald Trump Adviser: U.S. Should Extradite Coup Suspect Fethullah Gulen to Turkey - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ulen-to-Turkey

Fethullah Gülen CIA asset - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Clen-CIA-asset

Two days after NBC reported that in what would amount to a stunning foreign policy concession by the White House, the Trump Administration was contemplating extraditing Turkish president Erdogan's nemesis, cleric Fethulah Gulen who has been living for decades in rural Pennsylvania, in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, on Saturday Trump denied the report, rejecting that he is considering handing over Erdoğan's foe.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...e-gulen-turkey

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    White House Weighs Extraditing Turkish Cleric Gulen From US To Appease Erdogan

In what is the most shocking geopolitical news of the day, NBC reports that the Trump administration is weighing extraditing the nemesis of Turkish President Recep Erdogan, cleric Fethulah Gulen who has been living for years in relative seclusion in rural Pennsylvania, from the U.S. in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
    For any critical thinkers here, why this sudden changr of heart?
    A US newspaper's journalist was tortured/dismembered by a foreign dictator regime (with no support from our closest ally Israel), shouldn't othe guilty party be trying tp appease the US ? Why US (MAGA wing) needs to appease anyone?

Two and two don't add up.

Related

Congressman Joaquin Castro accuses Kushner of orchestrating killing of Khashoggi

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    For any critical thinkers here, why this sudden changr of heart?
    A US newspaper's journalist was tortured/dismembered by a foreign dictator regime (with no support from our closest ally Israel), shouldn't othe guilty party be trying tp appease the US ? Why US (MAGA wing) needs to appease anyone?

Two and two don't add up.

Related

Congressman Joaquin Castro accuses Kushner of orchestrating killing of Khashoggi
    What change of heart?

Two days after NBC reported that in what would amount to a stunning foreign policy concession by the White House, the Trump Administration was contemplating extraditing Turkish president Erdogan's nemesis, cleric Fethulah Gulen who has been living for decades in rural Pennsylvania, in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, on Saturday Trump denied the report, rejecting that he is considering handing over Erdoğan's foe.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...e-gulen-turkey

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What change of heart?
    To be fair, almost all media reports in the past about exit of MAGA cabinet people were initially denied by White House but later most of time media reports turned out to be true and said staff exited.

Hypothetically, if GOP-Netanyahu conservatives/MAGA's top funders like Adelson asked him to do this (on behalf of Saudi-Israel allainceto put pressure on Iran), do you think he would refuse? Can he stay in White House if he refused?
    Or in other word, his recent foreign policy regarding Israel,mideast has been of his own free will as or that of GOP-NCs/his funders?

To be fair, almost all media reports in the past about exit of MAGA cabinet people were initially denied by White House but later most of time media reports turned out to be true and said staff exited.
    And to be fair we must also remember all the MSM stories about what Trump was supposedly going to do that never happened.

Hypothetically, if GOP-Netanyahu conservatives/MAGA's top funders like Adelson asked him to do this (on behalf of Saudi-Israel allainceto put pressure on Iran), do you think he would refuse? Can he stay in White House if he refused?
    Or in other word, his recent foreign policy regarding Israel,mideast has been his own free will as or that of NCs/his funders?
    Unknown, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And to be fair we must also remember all the MSM stories about what Trump was supposedly going to do that never happened.
    True that, it's almost fakenews vs fakenews many times.

Or in other word, his recent foreign policy regarding Israel,mideast has been his own free will as or that of NCs/his funders?
    Unknown, we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Am I reading it right that you don't know if MAGA is a puppet of neocon money baggers/non-America Firsters etc or not?

Such agnosticism would not be a vote of confidence in MAGA.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Am I reading it right that you don't know if MAGA is a puppet of neocon money baggers/non-America Firsters etc or not?

Such agnosticism would not be a vote of confidence in MAGA.
    I believe he cuts many deals with many factions, I don't approve of many of them but it is possible that he would be replaced with someone worse if he didn't.

Trump is the least of all possible goods but he may be the best we can get right now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The U.S. Justice Department on Friday denied that it was planning an extradition deal designed to persuade the Turkish president to ease off on a probe over the killing of a journalist in an Istanbul embassy.

In a statement on Friday, Justice Department spokeswoman Nicole Navas Oxman denied the NBC report, saying the department "has not been involved in nor aware of any discussions" connecting an extradition of Gulen and the death of Khashoggi.
    The denial was unusual for the Justice Department, which typically does not comment on matters pertaining to potential cases of extradition.
    Navas Oxman would not comment beyond the statement.

A White House official, who declined to be named, also denied the NBC report on Thursday, saying it "has not been involved in any discussions relating the extradition of Fethullah Gulen to the death of Jamal Khashoggi."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-justice...195324009.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

One month after speculation swirled that as part of the detente between the White House and Turkey - and attempts to silence Turkey's ongoing disclosures of Jamal Khashoggi 's demise at the hands of Saudi operatives - Trump was quietly preparing to extradite Turkish president Erdogan's nemesis, the Pennsylvania-residing cleric Fethulah Gulen, which in turn was promptly denied by the White House, on Sunday the Turkish foreign minister once again claimed that president Trump is still working on extraditing Gulen.
    "In Argentina, Trump told Erdogan they were working on extraditing Gulen and other people," Mevlut Cavusoglu said Sunday at a conference in Doha, referring to the G20 summit where the leaders met two weeks ago.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...kish-fm-claims

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump did not commit during a meeting with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan at the G20 summit two weeks ago to extradite a Muslim cleric based in the United States, a senior White House official said on Monday."While meeting with President Erdogan at the G20, the president did not commit to extradite Fethullah Gulen," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-did-not...213307002.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The "liberal" opposition in Turkey consists of hardcore communists.

So..., I'll be rooting for Erdogan: all day every day.

The last time I was in Constantinople, it was very well organized: no problems at all.

...the Haghia Sophia could use a bit of refurbishing (floor's sagging), but otherwise things were fine.

U.S. President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart Tayyip Erdogan that Washington "would take a look at" the possibility of extraditing a U.S.-based Muslim cleric who Ankara suspects of being behind a 2016 coup attempt, but he made no commitment, the White House said on Tuesday."The only thing he said is that we would take a look at it," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters. "Nothing further at this point beyond that ... nothing committal at all in that process."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-told-tu...193700708.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A U.S. delegation, including officials from the FBI, is reportedly meeting with Turkish officials to discuss Ankara's request to extradite Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, AP reported Jan. 3, citing Turkey’s state-run news agency.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...raditing-gulen

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment