Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo-feudalism

Neo-feudalism

When the oligarchs have stolen enough wealth and used the government to stifle competition that they own everything "privately" and they use that ownership to control everyone else they become the government while evading the few restrictions on government that we have.

How does libertarianism deal with that?

If the process is successful enough redistribution of wealth will be a mandatory part of any revolution, how would we keep it from being a precedent that would open the door to communism?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can't, a society needs government control. Liberty doesn't work unfettered.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    You can't, a society needs government control. Liberty doesn't work unfettered.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes in the modern world government is required, stop dreaming.

Yes in the modern world government is required, stop dreaming.
    Nobody said it wasn't.

Yet again you prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No your getting at removing government to the point where there is nothing for anyone, and that everyone just manages to get by without any modern form of government.

No your getting at removing government to the point where there is nothing for anyone, and that everyone just manages to get by without any modern form of government.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are, the role of government isn't to provide for anyone in society, only to seek their rights, and protect those rights. No police officer would agree with that. I think simply because their view of people is hardened compared to anyone else who hasn't had to deal with very emotional and abusive situations.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are, the role of government isn't to provide for anyone in society, only to seek their rights, and protect those rights. No police officer would agree with that. I think simply because their view of people is hardened compared to anyone else who hasn't had to deal with very emotional and abusive situations.

Aside from your ignorance this has nothing to do with this thread, take you babble elsewhere.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A society that you hope can't happen in that utopian way, there will still be government.

A society that you hope can't happen in that utopian way, there will still be government.
    No matter how often you misrepresent my position and repeat your lie you will still be wrong.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I've never called for anyone to be banned (except jokingly).

So I won't start now by asking for RepublicanParasiticmoocherguy to be banned.

Instead, I would like fire11 to be unbanned.

I really, really want to see fire11 and Parasiticmoocherguy try to have a conversation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    No matter how often you misrepresent my position and repeat your lie you will still be wrong.
    Enjoying a taste if your own medicine?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

I really, really want to see fire11 and Parasiticmoocherguy try to have a conversation ...

Itsback hasn't been banned lately. But trolls don't waste their time on each other.

Shylls do, but trolls don't.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Bring back fire11!!!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Enjoying a taste if your own medicine?
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

When the oligarchs have stolen enough wealth and used the government to stifle competition that they own everything "privately" and they use that ownership to control everyone else they become the government while evading the few restrictions on government that we have.

How does libertarianism deal with that?

If the process is successful enough redistribution of wealth will be a mandatory part of any revolution, how would we keep it from being a precedent that would open the door to communism?
    This sounds a hell of a lot like Marx. Gone Marxist on us there Swordie? Worried the Jews are gonna steal all your gold and enslave you?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    This sounds a hell of a lot like Marx. Gone Marxist on us there Swordie? Worried the Jews are gonna steal all your gold and enslave you?
    I specifically wish to avoid being brought to the point where redistribution is necessary but if everything is stolen and "belongs" to the oligarchs "privately" then they become the government without any restrictions on government, the can make any rules they want for the rest of us on "their property".

I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with such a threat in a libertarian manner and avoid communism, if we can avoid ever having to deal with it that would be much better but we must have a plan.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I specifically wish to avoid being brought to the point where redistribution is necessary but if everything is stolen and "belongs" to the oligarchs "privately" then they become the government without any restrictions on government, the can make any rules they want for the rest of us on "their property".

I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with such a threat in a libertarian manner and avoid communism, if we can avoid ever having to deal with it that would be much better but we must have a plan.
    The second amendment covers it pretty well. But Historical Materialism is a pretty failed theory at this point. History has failed to convey all the wealth to the oligarchs despite capitalisms best attempt.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

The second amendment covers it pretty well.
    So your answer is to wait and do nothing until a redistributive revolution is the only option?

But Historical Materialism is a pretty failed theory at this point. History has failed to convey all the wealth to the oligarchs despite capitalisms best attempt.
    It is getting there and they are using government to get closer all the time:

The analysts were right. The American skies have gone from an open market with many competing airlines to a cozy oligopoly with four major airlines.
    To say that there are four major airlines overstates the true level of competition. Most U.S. airlines dominate a local hub, unironically known as “fortress hubs,” where they face little competition and have a near monopoly. They have the landing slots, and they are willing to engage in predatory pricing to keep out any new entrants. At 40 of the 100 largest U.S. airports, a single airline controls a majority of the market.
    United, for example, dominates many of the country’s largest airports. In Houston, United has around a 60 percent market share, in Newark 51 percent, in Washington Dulles 43 percent, in San Francisco 38 percent and in Chicago 31 percent. This situation is even more skewed for other airlines. For example, Delta has an 80 percent market share in Atlanta and 77 percent in Philadelphia, while in Dallas-Fort Worth it has 77 percent. For many routes, you simply have no choice.

Competition is the essence of capitalism, yet it is dying.
    Rising market power by dominant firms has created less competition, lower investment in the real economy, lower productivity, less economic dynamism with fewer startups, higher prices for dominant firms, lower wages and more wealth inequality. The evidence from economic studies is pouring in like a flood.
    If you believe in competitive free markets, you should be very concerned. If you believe in fair play and hate cronyism, you should be worried. With fake capitalism CEOs cozy up to regulators to get the kind of rules they want and donate to get the laws they desire.
    Larger companies get larger, while the small disappear, and the consumer and worker are left with no choice.
    Freedom is essential to capitalism. It is not surprising then that Milton Friedman picked “Free to Choose” as the title of his extremely popular PBS series on capitalism, and “Capitalism and Freedom” was the title of his book that sold over 1.5 million copies. He argued that economic freedom was “a necessary condition for political freedom.”
    "Free to Choose" sounds great. Yet Americans are not free to choose.
    In industry after industry, they can only purchase from local monopolies or oligopolies that can tacitly collude. The U.S. now has many industries with only three or four competitors controlling entire markets. Since the early 1980s, market concentration has increased severely. We’ve already described the airline industry. Here are other examples:

• Two corporations control 90 percent of the beer Americans drink.
    • Five banks control about half of the nation’s banking assets.
    • Many states have health insurance markets where the top two insurers have an 80 percent to 90 percent market share. For example, in Alabama one company, Blue Cross Blue Shield, has an 84 percent market share and in Hawaii it has 65 percent market share.
    • When it comes to high-speed Internet access, almost all markets are local monopolies; over 75 percent of households have no choice with only one provider.
    • Four players control the entire U.S. beef market and have carved up the country.
    • After two mergers this year, three companies will control 70 percent of the world’s pesticide market and 80 percent of the U.S. corn-seed market.

The list of industries with dominant players is endless. It gets even worse when you look at the world of technology. Laws are outdated to deal with the extreme winner-takes-all dynamics online. Google completely dominates internet searches with an almost 90 percent market share. Facebook has an almost 80 percent share of social networks. Both have a duopoly in advertising with no credible competition or regulation.
    Amazon is crushing retailers and faces conflicts of interest as both the dominant e-commerce seller and the leading online platform for third-party sellers. It can determine what products can and cannot sell on its platform, and it competes with any customer that encounters success.
    Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android completely control the mobile app market in a duopoly, and they determine whether businesses can reach their customers and on what terms. Existing laws were not even written with digital platforms in mind.

It was not always like this. Without almost any public debate, industries have now become much more concentrated than they were 30 and even 40 years ago. As economist Gustavo Grullon has noted, the “nature of U.S. product markets has undergone a structural shift that has weakened competition.”
    The federal government has done little to prevent this concentration, and in fact has done much to encourage it. Broken markets create broken politics. Economic and political power is becoming concentrated in the hands of distant monopolists.
    The stronger companies become, the greater their stranglehold on regulators and legislators becomes via the political process. This is not the essence of capitalism.
    Capitalism is a game where competitors play by rules on which everyone agrees. The government is the referee, and just as you need a referee and a set of agreed rules for a good basketball game, you need rules to promote competition in the economy.
    Left to their own devices, firms will use any available means to crush their rivals. Today, the state, as referee, has not enforced rules that would increase competition, and through regulatory capture has created rules that limit competition.
    Workers have helped create vast wealth for corporations, yet wages barely kept up with the growth in productivity and profits. The reason for the large gap is clear. Economic power has shifted into the hands of companies. Income and wealth inequality have increased as companies have captured more and more of the economic pie.
    Most workers own no shares and have barely benefited from record corporate profits. As G.K. Chesterton observed, “Too much capitalism does not mean too many capitalists, but too few capitalists.”
    When the left and right speak of capitalism today, they are telling stories about an imaginary state. The unbridled, competitive free markets that the right cherishes don’t exist today. The left attacks the grotesque capitalism we see today, as if that were the true manifestation of the essence of capitalism rather than the distorted version it has become.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-capitalism-it

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Its illegal to buy a Tesla in 13 States.
    Its illegal to import sugar.

The USA hasn't had free markets in most industries in a long time.

The internet exploded because it was the last place without $#@! tonnes of rules, but those are coming.

The United States will deregulate its political system and then its markets once its enormous cushion of wealth erodes.

In the mean time I think you should stop reading anti-semitic conspiracies. Definitely you should stop spreading them.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Its illegal to buy a Tesla in 13 States.
    Its illegal to import sugar.

The USA hasn't had free markets in most industries in a long time.

The internet exploded because it was the last place without $#@! tonnes of rules, but those are coming.

The United States will deregulate its political system and then its markets once its enormous cushion of wealth erodes.

In the mean time I think you should stop reading anti-semitic conspiracies. Definitely you should stop spreading them.
    Get lost.

I have said nothing "anti-semitic", oligarchs come in all flavors.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Get lost.

I have said nothing "anti-semitic", oligarchs come in all flavors.
    The tradition you are pulling from has a fantastic history of "discovering" that the "oligarchs" happen to be Jewish and that purging them will lead to a utopia.

Its only since 1945 that is became extremely unfashionable to talk about purging Jews so now people talk about "bankers" or "the 1%" or "zionists".

If you are not anti-Semitic the people you are reading sure as hell are.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

The tradition you are pulling from has a fantastic history of "discovering" that the "oligarchs" happen to be Jewish and that purging them will lead to a utopia.

Its only since 1945 that is became extremely unfashionable to talk about purging Jews so now people talk about "bankers" or "the 1%" or "zionists".

If you are not anti-Semitic the people you are reading sure as hell are.
    Nonsense, there are SOME controlled opposition figures that have deliberately tried to confuse exposing the oligarchs with anti-semitism in order to enable the kind of counter attack against the truth that you are engaging in through brainwashing or malice, I can't tell which yet.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Have you read Hegel, Marx, or Sombart?

The core of anti-capitalist philosophy is that the capitalist process is a Jewish device to turn money into more money by exploiting all the idiot gentiles, eventually converting everyone not at the top into working class wage slaves.

The idea that the pure german people will purge capitalism and restore a fair society is pretty old.
    Last edited by idiom; 11-28-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you read Hegel, Marx, or Sombart?

The core of anti-capitalist philosophy is that the capitalist process is a Jewish device to turn money into more money by exploiting all the idiot gentiles, eventually converting everyone not at the top into working class wage slaves.

The idea that the pure german people will purge capitalism and restore a fair society is pretty old.
    Those are some of the controlled opposition whose job was to discredit the truth and lead people back off the track with false solutions that served the oligarchs' purposes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Those are some of the controlled opposition whose job was to discredit the truth and lead people back off the track with false solutions that served the oligarchs' purposes.
    Oh, so the whole of WW1 and WW2 were just clever con jobs.

If all meaningful opposition was controlled opposition, then either your opposition isn't meaningful, or you are controlled.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Oh, so the whole of WW1 and WW2 were just clever con jobs.

If all meaningful opposition was controlled opposition, then either your opposition isn't meaningful, or you are controlled.
    The oligarchs fight among themselves from time to time, sometimes the rest of us are worse off no matter who wins and sometimes we can make gains from supporting the better side.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The oligarchs fight among themselves from time to time, sometimes the rest of us are worse off no matter who wins and sometimes we can make gains from supporting the better side.
    That is an extremely convenient worldview absolving you of all responsibility for world affairs.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

That is an extremely convenient worldview absolving you of all responsibility for world affairs.
    Not really, we all have responsibility to the extent that we have power but it is a fact that the oligarchs have far more power than everyone else.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Not really, we all have responsibility to the extent that we have power but it is a fact that the oligarchs have far more power than everyone else.
    Thus making your responsibility pretty scant. I mean what are you against 'powers' that can put on WW2 as a trivial stage play.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast