Thread: For Trump, there's no easy way out of his funk

For Trump, there's no easy way out of his funk

Post-election blues. No more rallies with adulating crowds and he didn't get the results he hoped for.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8632746.html

As he jetted to Paris last Friday, President Donald Trump received a congratulatory phone call aboard Air Force One. British Prime Minister Theresa May was calling to celebrate the Republican Party's wins in the midterm elections - never mind that Democrats seized control of the House - but her appeal to the American president's vanity was met with an ornery outburst.

Mr Trump berated Ms May for Great Britain not doing enough in his assessment to contain Iran. He questioned her over Brexit and complained about the trade deals he sees as unfair with European countries. Ms May has endured Mr Trump's churlish temper before, but still her aides were shaken by his especially foul mood, according to US and European officials briefed on the conversation.

For Mr Trump, that testy call set the tone for five days of fury - evident in his splenetic tweets and described in interviews with 14 senior administration officials, outside Trump confidants and foreign diplomats, many of whom requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

"He was frustrated with the trip. And he's itching to make some changes," said one senior White House official. "This is a week where things could get really dicey."

During his 43-hour stay in Paris, Mr Trump brooded over the Florida recount and sulked over other key races being called for Democrats in the midterm elections that he had claimed as a "big victory." He erupted at his staff over media coverage of his decision to skip a ceremony honouring the military sacrifice of World War I.

The president also was angry and resentful over French President Emmanuel Macron's public rebuke of rising nationalism, which Mr Trump considered a personal attack. And that was after his difficult meeting with Mr Macron, where officials said little progress was made as Mr Trump again brought up his frustrations over trade and Iran.

"He's just a bull carrying his own china shop with him wherever he travels the world," presidential historian Douglas Brinkley said.

Meanwhile, Mr Trump was plotting a shake-up in his administration. He told advisers over the weekend that he had decided to remove Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and that he also was seriously considering replacing White House chief of staff John Kelly, who scrambled early this week to try to save Ms Nielsen's job.

The senior White House official, who speaks to the president regularly, said Mr Trump has been grousing lately about getting rid of Mr Kelly. "But he's done this three or four times before," this person said. "Nothing is ever real until he sends the tweet."

During Sunday's flight to Washington from Paris, aides filed into the president's private cabin to lobby him against the leading contender to replace Mr Kelly, Nick Ayers, who is currently Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff. These aides told Trump that appointing Mr Ayers would lower staff morale and perhaps trigger an exodus. But the president continues to praise Mr Ayers, who also enjoys the support of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, according to multiple White House officials.

First lady Melania Trump shared her husband's irritation and impatience with some of the staff. On Tuesday, amid reports that the president had decided to oust deputy national security adviser Mira Ricardel over tensions between her and other administration officials, the first lady's office issued an extraordinary statement to reporters calling for her firing.

"It is the position of the Office of the First Lady that she no longer deserves the honour of serving in this White House," said Stephanie Grisham, the first lady's spokeswoman.

Melania Trump said in an October interview with ABC News that the president had people working for him whom she did not trust, but that she has let her husband know. "Some people, they don't work there anymore," the first lady said.

In her role as No. 2 to national security adviser John Bolton, Ms Ricardel berated colleagues in meetings, yelled at military aides and White House professional staff, argued with Melania Trump regarding her recent trip to Africa and spread rumours about Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, according to three current and two former White House officials.

Kelly has sought for months to oust Ms Ricardel, calling her a problematic hire in the West Wing, and Mr Mattis has told advisers that he wants her out as well, the officials said.

An NSC spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Ms Grisham's statement was remarkable because it is so unusual for a first lady or her East Wing staff to weigh in on personnel matters elsewhere in the White House, particularly in the realm of national security.

Last week, the tumult began even before Mr Trump took off for Paris. After directing Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign, controversy swirled around Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker's qualifications for the job, business entanglements and previous public opposition to the Russia investigation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/polit...ood/index.html

By multiple accounts, Donald Trump is in one of the deepest funks of his presidency. The bad news is that the challenges and threats that are making his mood so dark are likely to get worse before they get better.

The President is angry at his rebuke from voters in the midterm elections. The oppressive prospect of action by special counsel Robert Mueller hangs like an immovable cloud over his White House. Staff chaos in the West Wing is producing lurid palace intrigue stories in the media that the President hates.

Abroad, he feuds with allied world leaders, and he's been so effective in implementing his "America First" policy that he's the odd man out at summits.

And things are unlikely to improve quickly. Many legal observers expect new indictments to come soon in the Mueller probe, potentially bringing the investigation closer to Trump's inner circle in its final stages. The President fulminated over the probe on Thursday morning, calling it on Twitter "A TOTAL WITCH HUNT LIKE NO OTHER IN AMERICAN HISTORY!"

Democrats are prepping a barrage of investigations that will make life in his White House a misery -- from attempts to seize his tax returns and probe his business dealings to investigations into key policy areas like immigration.

"He's pissed -- at damn near everyone," a White House official told CNN on Wednesday.

Trump is letting off steam where he can. He's feuding with a former friend, Emmanuel Macron, mocking the French President's approval rating (at 29%, it is lower than Trump's) and the French jobless rate of over 9%.

In an interview with the Daily Caller on Wednesday, the President betrayed his disturbed equilibrium, claiming that voter fraud had cost Republicans key races.

"When people get in line that have absolutely no right to vote and they go around in circles. Sometimes they go to their car, put on a different hat, put on a different shirt, come in and vote again," Trump claimed, without evidence.

Trump is not the first President to feel isolated, angry, rejected by voters or down in the dumps. Everyone who sits in the Oval Office feels that way sooner or later, though Trump's temperament is more volcanic than most.

The question for Trump is, what can he do -- other than a few restorative weekends on the golf course in Florida -- to improve his position ahead of a crucial period that will define opening chapters of his re-election campaign?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Christ, sometimes these forums seem like they are getting redirected to the Huffington Post.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Christ, sometimes these forums seem like they are getting redirected to the Huffington Post.
    Or the Communist News Network.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Yeah, I used to defend Zip, as I figured, he brought a counter point to the table that sometimes we, in the echo chamber, might miss.

But UK Independent and CNN articles focusing on presidential crankiness?

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, I used to defend Zip, as I figured, he brought a counter point to the table that sometimes we, in the echo chamber, might miss.

Seriously?
    Agreed. But, I'm over it now.

I think Pat Travers has a song , Get The Funk Out .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think Pat Travers has a song , Get The Funk Out .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guess I should have used Fox.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/whi...nd-lashing-out

White House leaks portray Trump as angry and lashing out

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Faux News is coming out of the closet more and more lately.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm usualt on mobile. Is there a blocking feature available on desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    I'm usualt on mobile. Is there a blocking feature available on desktop?
    If you click on zippy's name next to his post and choose "view profile" then go to the right side of the screen there will be an "add to ignore list" option.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 11-15-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Seriously?
    Agreed. But, I'm over it now.

Why should he have any respect for Theresa May, though? The woman is doing about as bad a job on Brexit as possible. She's about to have a vote of no confidence by Tories like Rees-Mogg, and rightfully deserved.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Why should he have any respect for Theresa May, though? The woman is doing about as bad a job on Brexit as possible. She's about to have a vote of no confidence by Tories like Rees-Mogg, and rightfully deserved.
    Somebody should compare her competency to Brenda Snipes'.