Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Index Card of Allowable Opinion

The Index Card of Allowable Opinion

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/two-sentences?e=fc95d80121

If you express a thought that's somewhere off the index card of allowable opinion, expect to be demonized.

If over 30 years of writing you've written three sentences that might seem shocking in isolation, expect them to be repeated by your enemies over and over again until you depart this vale of tears.

Evidently the British philosopher Roger Scruton is being hit with this tactic.

(Scruton, whose 40+ books include two on architecture, has been appointed to an unpaid position as chair of a small commission on the design of public housing, and this is why he's under scrutiny.)

The tactic is used two ways:

(1) Indignantly quote the offending sentence with no attempt to demonstrate how it is wrong, as if it's of course obvious that the idea expressed is incorrect and no right-thinking person could hold it.

(2) Take it so out of context as to make it mean something like the opposite of what it really does.

Scruton, it turns out, got a twofer.

Let's take a look at how they've used the second tactic against him.

Scruton gave a speech in Hungary in which he said that a substantial portion of the intelligentsia in that country are Jewish and "form part of the extensive networks around the Soros Empire."

Get him! He's an anti-Semite!

Except the rest of the passage reads:

People in these networks include many who are rightly suspicious of nationalism, regard nationalism as the major cause of the tragedy of central Europe in the 20th century, and do not distinguish nationalism from the kind of national loyalty that I have defended in this talk. Moreover, as the world knows, indigenous anti-Semitism still plays a part in Hungarian society and politics and presents an obstacle to the emergence of a shared national loyalty among ethnic Hungarians and Jews.

Thus his point is that Jews there have legitimate reasons to be wary about nationalism, and that anti-Semitism still plays a part in Hungarian society.

They actually tried to use that passage against him.

Well, not the passage. The first sentence without the rest of the passage.

In another phase of the controversy, we learn that "BuzzFeed News has unearthed footage of a lecture he gave in the US in 2005," in which Scruton made reference to the phenomenon of "date rape."

By "unearthed," they mean they went to YouTube and watched a lecture that had been sitting there for over five years. (Crack investigators, these.)

Scruton has written an entire book called Sexual Desire: A Philosophical Investigation, but he is to be judged by a ludicrously decontextualized sentence or two.

Then, out of millions of sentences written throughout a distinguished career, this sentence is used against him: "If you express outrage at crimes committed by Muslims against women, and hint that Islam might have something to do with it, you will be accused of 'Islamophobia.'"

Whatever the truth of the matter there, we can't even be permitted to discuss it? And someone is to be demonized even for pointing out that people are under intense pressure never to raise it?

This kind of hysteria could hardly have come as a surprise to him. "Once identified as right-wing you are beyond the pale of argument," Scruton wrote. "Your views are irrelevant, your character discredited, your presence in the world a mistake. You are not an opponent to be argued with, but a disease to be shunned. This has been my experience."

As Douglas Murray puts it, "It appears that Scruton’s detractors will continue to mine the columns Scruton has secretly published in all the national papers in order to expose his wrong-think. They will continue to ‘unearth’ his public lectures. And they will continue to pretend that none of the complex things in life – including the complexity of human relations – should ever be opened up or explored by anyone."
    If anyone thinks only SJWs use these tactics, they should look around this very forum. All the Partisan Divide and Conquer trolls do these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Roger Scruton is a real powerhouse of a thinker. The best, most thorough example of a British conservative, even over Peter Hitchens, I would say.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

LOL, ya right.. Supporting Trump is not on the index card of allowable opinions in our society. If you can't see that, you are blind.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    LOL, ya right.. Supporting Trump is not on the index card of allowable opinions in our society. If you can't see that, you are blind.
    There are two index cards of allowable opinion. Without that the illusion of freedom is lost.

Say something that gets both trumpsters and SJWs screeching the same denials at you, and you just might be on to something good.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    There are two index cards of allowable opinion. Without that the illusion of freedom is lost.

Say something that gets both trumpsters and SJWs screeching the same denials at you, and you just might be on to something good.
    I.e.?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Which must be why he won the Presidency and got over 60 million votes.

You Progressives are oh-so quick to play the victim card.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post

Trump supporters "playing the victim card" is like somebody who was beaten to death with a sledgehammer playing the victim card.

Again, if you can't see it, you are blind or you are being purposefully obtuse.

Trump supporters "playing the victim card" is like somebody who was beaten to death with a sledgehammer playing the victim card.

Again, if you can't see it, you are blind or you are being purposefully obtuse.
    We're all victims now.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post

Everybody gets to be a victim. And the fact that everybody's a victim permits everybody to victimize people.

I.e.?
    Stop entitlements, get gov out of the welfare system, education, medicine, business, and the WoT.

Develop free enterprise, stop the WoD, let people cross the border legally & let businesses hire whomever they wish.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Stop entitlements, get gov out of the welfare system, education, medicine, business, and the WoT.

Develop free enterprise, stop the WoD,
    All wrong, complete bull$#@!. That was why I asked, because i knew I was going to get bull$#@! answers like this.

let people cross the border legally & let businesses hire whomever they wish.
    If you put the word "some" between "let" and "people" most would have no issue with that either.. but the question was statements that piss off both sides, and open immigration wouldn't piss off the SJWs so that is wrong too.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We're all victims now.
    Trump and his supporters get completely flogged by the MSM, hollywood, anything mainstream, left or NPC like on a daily basis. It's been going on for almost 3 years, I've never seen anything close to this in my entire life.

You can pretend we are hallucinating, but that just makes you look dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Since Ender made a complete fail at trying to name like a half dozen different things, can we narrow it down to one? Just ONE thing that pisses off pretty much all Trump supporters and pretty much all SJWs, what is your best example?

If somebody can think of something creative, I will applaud them.. but pretty sure you are going to come up with jack squat.

All wrong, complete bull$#@!. That was why I asked, because i knew I was going to get bull$#@! answers like this.

If you put the word "some" between "let" and "people" most would have no issue with that either.. but the question was statements that piss off both sides, and open immigration wouldn't piss off the SJWs so that is wrong too.
    Bravo!

You just proved the whole point of the OP.
    There is no spoon.

Bravo!

You just proved the whole point of the OP.
    No I didn't, all I did was point out that you posted bull$#@! answers.

If you have a good example of something that pisses off pretty much all Trump supporters and pretty much all SJWs, provide one. So far you haven't.

No I didn't, all I did was point out that you posted bull$#@! answers.

If you have a good example of something that pisses off pretty much all Trump supporters and pretty much all SJWs, provide one. So far you haven't.
    From the OP:
    (1) Indignantly quote the offending sentence with no attempt to demonstrate how it is wrong, as if it's of course obvious that the idea expressed is incorrect and no right-thinking person could hold it.
    That, dear sir, is YOU.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the OP:

That, dear sir, is YOU.
    Every Trump supporter on this site agrees with:

So the idea that these statements would be offensive to Trump supporters, is, like I said, complete horse $#@!.

There, I demonstrated why you are wrong.

Feel free to come up with something that fits tulsa's model, so far you have nothing.

Every Trump supporter on this site agrees with:

So the idea that these statements would be offensive to Trump supporters, is, like I said, complete horse $#@!.

There, I demonstrated why you are wrong.

Feel free to come up with something that fits tulsa's model, so far you have nothing.
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt as a "Trump supporter" that you oppose those things, it seems rather clear that Trump himself does NOT oppose those things... literally NOT ONE OF THOSE THINGS.

So, either you and the rest of the "Trump supporters" are $#@!ing idiots, or... well... never mind that 'or'. There is no 'or'. You're a $#@!ing idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt as a "Trump supporter" that you oppose those things, it seems rather clear that Trump himself does NOT oppose those things... literally NOT ONE OF THOSE THINGS.

So, either you and the rest of the "Trump supporters" are $#@!ing idiots, or... well... never mind that 'or'. There is no 'or'. You're a $#@!ing idiot.
    Projection is a powerful tool in the hands of a demagogue but you are overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Projection is a powerful tool in the hands of a demagogue but you are overdoing it.
    Gonna go out on a limb here and ask you to actually respond to the merits of the post...

Gonna go out on a limb here and ask you to actually respond to the merits of the post...

Don't hold your breath waiting.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

LOL

I wrote 2 sentences that support my POV. The 1st one was sure to offend any SJW and the second to offend Trumpers.

Thanking you again for proving exactly what the OP said.
    There is no spoon.

Do I have to agree with Trump that ketchup tastes good with steak, or else I can't support him?

Sorry if I have a STRONG PREFERENCE for somebody I disagree with on a host of issues, who wants the best for us, compared to somebody who I disagree with on EVERYTHING, and would sell out the country for a Popsicle.. can't believe I have to apologize for something like that. Does that seem like a reasonable thing to have to apologize for to you?
    Last edited by dannno; 11-15-2018 at 03:06 PM.

LOL

I wrote 2 sentences that support my POV. The 1st one was sure to offend any SJW and the second to offend Trumpers.

Um, ya, that isn't how it works. Tulsa said there are statements that piss off both Trump supporters and SJWs that are outside the index card of allowable opinion. That doesn't mean you get to make two separate statements, one that pisses off each group separately. That is a fail.

So go ahead.. let's see a single statement, on a single issue, that pisses off both Trump supporters on this site (since that is what we have to work with) and SJWs.

Still nothing..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL

Not only does that not qualify as what the OP said but if it did it would make the OP meaningless, all you have proven is that there are more than two sides in the game.

The OP wrongly wishes to prove a connection between all other sides than his own so that his side can claim to be that holiest of all beings, the victim.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Um, ya, that isn't how it works. Tulsa said there are statements that piss off both Trump supporters and SJWs that are outside the index card of allowable opinion. That doesn't mean you get to make two separate statements, one that pisses off each group separately. That is a fail.

So go ahead.. let's see a single statement, on a single issue, that pisses off both Trump supporters on this site (since that is what we have to work with) and SJWs.

Still nothing..
    That WAS/IS a single issue: Get .gov out of our lives.

I wrote in 2 sentences to show the irony and to help some better understand, but I guess I was reaching for a higher plain than Trumpies can comprehend.
    There is no spoon.

Not only does that not qualify as what the OP said but if it did it would make the OP meaningless, all you have proven is that there are more than two sides in the game.

The OP wrongly wishes to prove a connection between all other sides than his own so that his side can claim to be that holiest of all beings, the victim.
    Wrong on all points and the OP describes exactly how YOU operate.
    There is no spoon.

I wrote in 2 sentences to show the irony and to help some better understand, but I guess I was reaching for a higher plain than Trumpies can comprehend.
    So your big point is that anyone who isn't an anarchist disagrees with anarchy?

What else is new?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wrong on all points and the OP describes exactly how YOU operate.
    LOL, I am chock full of non-standard opinions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There are A LOT of Trump supporters who want the government out of their life.

Next.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast