Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denounce this babystep (Prison Reform starting)

Denounce this babystep (Prison Reform starting)

You know the drill folks. Get to work underplaying the significance of this and rationalizing why Trump is still awful.

Named Rand Paul by name.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pardon every single person in jail as a result of victimless crimes.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

wow the garbage media yelling those insane questions at the end.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

bump
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Progressives are worried that the bill "doesn't go far enough" and that it might be better to wait until next year when they are in power so that they can create a more "comprehensive" bill.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

You know the drill folks. Get to work underplaying the significance of this and rationalizing why Trump is still awful.

Named Rand Paul by name.
    Sorry, can't help you out. I'm in favor of any step in the right direction in prison nation.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Progressives are worried that the bill "doesn't go far enough" and that it might be better to wait until next year when they are in power so that they can create a more "comprehensive" bill.
    The leftarians here will agree heartily.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The leftarians here will agree heartily.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Good on Trump for beginning to support this bill, which was introduced and passed by the House in May, in November. Obviously someone thought that prison reform would be an election negative, which is why he is having this press conference in mid November rather than any time in the past six months. Given the timing, I suspect that this is to head off any broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Given the timing, I suspect that this is to head off any broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform.
    LOL

Who is going to pass broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform? And who is going to sign it?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good on Trump for beginning to support this bill, which was introduced and passed by the House in May, in November. Obviously someone thought that prison reform would be an election negative, which is why he is having this press conference in mid November rather than any time in the past six months. Given the timing, I suspect that this is to head off any broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform.

Case in point....

I think this was a genius announcement. Dems are making all kinds of threats toward him. Who is going to vote against prison reform? Genius.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I suspect the Libertarian / AnCap / whatever crowd will be on that page too. The enemy of perfect is good according to them.

Yeah, just like abortion bills for the Conservative crowd. Unfortunately, both sides have proven they are unwilling to really do anything about it when they have control of all branches of govt.

LOL

Who is going to pass broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform? And who is going to sign it?
    Trump definitely wouldn't sign more aggressive criminal justice reform.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perhaps or perhaps not, but you claimed that he did this to "head off any broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform."

Just why would he need to do that?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yeah, just like abortion bills for the Conservative crowd. Unfortunately, both sides have proven they are unwilling to really do anything about it when they have control of all branches of govt.
    Talking points are very valuable if you're a politician.
    "The Patriarch"

Perhaps or perhaps not, but you claimed that he did this to "head off any broader / more aggressive criminal justice reform."

Just why would he need to do that?

Pinochet is the model

LOL

They aren't going to pass anything.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

at this point it looks like he is wiling to sign a more aggressive criminal justice reform bill than the last 2 Democrat presidents (and Republican candidates). and that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    at this point it looks like he is wiling to sign a more aggressive criminal justice reform bill than the last 2 Democrat presidents (and Republican candidates). and that is a good thing.
    Agreed.
    "The Patriarch"

In a Monday tweet, Senator Mike Lee of Utah lambasted his Republican colleague, Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas, for spreading “fake news” about the bipartisan criminal-justice-reform bill currently making its way through Congress.
    Cotton has maintained his opposition to the First Step Act — a sweeping package of criminal-justice reforms designed to reduce incarceration rates and recidivism — despite mounting bipartisan support. In defending his opposition on Twitter Monday, Cotton accused the bill’s proponents of trying to push it through Congress without allowing time for an adequate review of its contents.
    Or that it gives early release to “low level, nonviolent” criminals who steal passports & immigration docs from aliens who have been trafficked to keep them in captivity (USC 1592(a)). Hearings & open debate would bring needed daylight…
    — Tom Cotton (@SenTomCotton) November 17, 2018

In response, Lee, who supports the bill, accused Cotton of disseminating false information before mounting into a point-by-point rebuttal of the Arkansan’s arguments against it.
    First, the House Judiciary committee passed the First Step Act out of committee on May 9 of this year, and the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the highly similar Sentencing and Corrections Act out of committee on Feb 15 of this year. These are not new policies. 2/
    — Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) November 19, 2018

What the First Step Act does do is encourage rehabilitation by incentivizing inmates to participate in recidivism reduction programs by giving them time credits that can help them qualify for prerelease custody. 4/

If @SenTomCotton has good faith problems with this bill then he should welcome a full and open debate on the Senate floor where he can offer amendments to provisions he finds objectionable. But first this bill needs to be brought to the Senate floor so debate can begin. /END

Cotton then fired back on Twitter, citing a section of the bill that expands the number of inmates eligible to receive so-called “good time” credits, which reward well-behaved inmates by reducing their sentences.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-lee-...214647592.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Prison reform is very much needed I wholeheartedly agree. But...

Did anybody catch around the 6 min 30 sec mark where he emphasized the “International Association of Police Chiefs”?

Formerly it was the National Chiefs of Police Union

International Vice President-Barbara Fleury, Chief Superintendent, Royal Canadian Mounted Police

The United Nations granted a Consultative Status to the IACP in the 1970s due to the IACPs work in several UN member nations.

Me senses something not so good coming out of this, I am very accustomed/cautious having bones thrown to garner support.

Baby steps, indeed...
    Last edited by PAF; 11-19-2018 at 09:58 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, as follow up to my above post, I did some reading on the IACP website, because I don't trust any government, and because Trump was so emphatic about naming the organization - twice.

It appears that they are proposing amendments to their Constitution:

https://www.theiacp.org/sites/defaul...0Questions.pdf

Enhance the fellows’ understanding of global policing issues and methods of influencing law enforcement on an international level.
    2018 Proposed Constitutional Amendments

4. Shall Article 3 be amended to ensure that the makeup of the IACP Board of Directors more accurately reflects the Association’s Membership?
    Rationale:

Currently, the IACP Board of Directors consists of 33 members who represent agencies of various sizes, regional areas within the United States, various IACP sections, and several at-large positions. The proposed amendment would ensure that the membership of the IACP Board of Directors includes representatives from at least 3 non-US law enforcement organizations.

Proposed change:

The appointments should represent a minimum of three international law enforcement agency representatives.
    9. Shall the Constitution be amended by making clarifying, form and non-substantive changes as recommended by the Board of Directors and provided to the Membership?

Proposed Change:

Preamble
    Governed by this Constitution and its Rules, the IACP is led by a Board of Directors that encompasses an Executive Board representing the full spectrum of police executives from across the United States and around the globe. The IACP maintains a professional staff at its international headquarters who implement the plans and programs approved by the IACP leadership.
    Membership in the association is designed for individual police professionals worldwide
    What ever happened to the Constitution and national sovereignty? Farce I know, certainly when the U.N. is involved, which has a stated goal to implement biometric ID to every man, woman and child by 2030.

The above took about 3 minutes to research, there is much, much more I'm sure...
    Last edited by PAF; 11-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.

I see all the RP'rs are out for the holidays and left the board to the trumpateers... I'll just come back when they return.

Man you said it. That guy eats like a pig.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

To give credit where due, Congrats to Jared Kushner for his bold leadership on this issue to make it happen by bringing both parties together. He mentioned his interest was due to personal experience, not sure what he meant but all is well that ends well.

This could be the first step in the new age of MAGA bipartisanship to tackle tough issues like gun control, DACA, border, abortion, gay marriage, foreign interventions,Iran/Syria, exploding debt etc that could be resolved by two sides working hand in hand. Pelosi being on board with MAGA won't hurt either.

MAGA Bi-Partisanship: Trump son-in-law Jared will be guide for the future
    Trump seizes on Jared Kushner’s bipartisan ‘road map’ for success
    November 15, 2018
    Top White House aide Jared Kushner’s quiet but successful bipartisan efforts to make deals on trade and justice issues have been seized on by President Trump as a blueprint for keeping his agenda alive on a divided Capitol Hill as he enters the 2020 re-election season.
    “It’s a good road map,” said a Trump insider, adding, “Jared’s is a guide for the future.”
    While others in the administration have used sharp elbows to get their way, Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, has mastered his own deal-making style that favors creating coalitions.

Related
    Trump & Democrats Near Agreement on DACA

Trump and Pelsoi agreement on gun control, social media controls..
    developing

Trump: ‘I Like Nancy Pelosi’ and Will Help Her Win Race for Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    To give credit where due, Congrats to Jared Kushner for his bold leadership on this issue to make it happen by bringing both parties together. He metioned his interest was due to personal experience, not sure what he meant but all is well that ends well.

This could be the first step in the new age of MAGA bipartisanship to tackle tough issues like gun control, DACA, border, abortion, gay marriage, foreign interventions,Iran/Syria, exploding debt etc that could be resolved by two sides working hand in hand. Pelosi being on board with MAGA won't hurt either.

MAGA Bi-Partisanship: Trump son-in-law Jared will be guide for the future
    Trump seizes on Jared Kushner’s bipartisan ‘road map’ for success
    November 15, 2018
    Top White House aide Jared Kushner’s quiet but successful bipartisan efforts to make deals on trade and justice issues have been seized on by President Trump as a blueprint for keeping his agenda alive on a divided Capitol Hill as he enters the 2020 re-election season.
    “It’s a good road map,” said a Trump insider, adding, “Jared’s is a guide for the future.”
    While others in the administration have used sharp elbows to get their way, Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, has mastered his own deal-making style that favors creating coalitions.
    Agreed. However, ALWAYS stand guard. While this a step in the right direction and desperately needed, we have been severely burnt before, with very hidden agendas. This is a place to discuss and debate and prepare for what's ahead.

The info that I provided above stands on the record,,, for future reference.
    Last edited by PAF; 11-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Man you said it. That guy eats like a pig.
    /me: gnaws on own tongue to forestall a rant about Peter Jackson's portrayal of Denethor. And don't even get me started on how he ass-raped Faramir. I'm just glad Tolkien wasn't alive to witness Jackson's heinous crimes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast