Thread: RIP Silver Fox David Pearson 1934-2018

RIP Silver Fox David Pearson 1934-2018

David Pearson, NASCAR’s ‘Silver Fox,’ dies at 83

By Zack Albert NASCAR.com November 12, 2018 at 8:38 pm

David Pearson, a three-time champion in NASCAR’s premier series widely regarded as one of the sport’s finest drivers, died Monday. He was 83.

Pearson was welcomed into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2011 as the top vote-getter in the shrine’s second induction class. His cause of death is unknown at this time. His family had reported that Pearson suffered a stroke in December 2014.

Nicknamed “The Silver Fox” in a nod to both his late-race guile and prematurely gray hair, Pearson won 105 races in NASCAR’s top division, placing him second only to Richard Petty’s 200 victories on the all-time list. Perhaps more remarkably, Pearson never competed in a full season and his win total came in 574 starts — less than half of Petty’s 1,184.

In a Sports Illustrated poll in 1999, a panel of 40 longtime experts in the sport voted Pearson as the magazine’s NASCAR Driver of the Century. The 1976 Daytona 500 winner was named one of the sport’s 50 Greatest Drivers during NASCAR’s 50th anniversary season in 1998.

“David Pearson’s 105 NASCAR premier series victories and his classic rivalry in the 1960s and ’70s with Richard Petty helped set the stage for NASCAR’s transformation into a mainstream sport with national appeal,” NASCAR Chairman and CEO Jim France said in a statement. “When he retired, he had three championships — and millions of fans. Richard Petty called him the greatest driver he ever raced against. We were lucky to be able to call him one of our champions. The man they called the ‘Silver Fox’ was the gold standard for NASCAR excellence.

“On behalf of the France Family and everyone at NASCAR, I want to offer sincere condolences to the family and friends of David Pearson, a true giant of our sport.”

More here:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...rson-obituary/
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

GODSPEED
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I'm sure they'll mention him Miami this weekend.

It's the last race with four drivers left: Kyle Busch, Harvick, Truex, and Logano. I picked three of the four, but that was hardly a feat since there were the big three all year. I'm going with Kyle Busch. He is younger and will just outduel Harvick.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Truex better on the long runs. Logano better on the short runs. I was hoping the Truex would deal some payback to Logano for Martinsville, but that never came to pass. Logano just drove away. Harvick and Busch just didn't have the cars. I thought Busch would have been better.

Well, congratulations to Logano. That was fun to watch.