Thread: 100 Years After The 'War To End All Wars,' Lessons Of History Are Still Unlearned

100 Years After The 'War To End All Wars,' Lessons Of History Are Still Unlearned

100 Years After The 'War To End All Wars,' Lessons Of History Are Still Unlearned
    written by daniel mcadams - monday november 12, 2018

No wonder the wars have continued - without pause - since WWI, the "war to end all wars": the lessons have still not been learned. That much was evident in French President Emmanuel Macron's speech over the weekend, blaming nationalism and populism for the war. In fact, the real reasons are far different and provide a stark warning for our times: a declining power (UK) sought to prevent a rising power (Germany) from presenting an economic threat to the old order. The parallels with our time, where the "unipolar moment" with the US at the apex has begun to fade and with that fade have come endless US threats against rising powers like Russia and China. Isn't there a better way than war? Tune in to today's Liberty Report.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One lesson of the war were learned very well. Arms sales are very, very profitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

On the contrary, Theye learned the most important lesson of all - namely, that Theye could get away with it.

To that end, Theye also learned just how easy it is to induce paroxysms of orgiastic "patriotism".

Just ask one of Theire spokesmen from WW2, Hermann Goering ...

We got around to the subject of war again and I said that, contrary to his attitude, I did not think that the common people are very thankful for leaders who bring them war and destruction.

“Why, of course, the people don’t want war,” Goering shrugged. “Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.”

“There is one difference,” I pointed out. “In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.”

“Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

-- Gilbert, G.M, Nuremberg Diary (New York: Farrar, Straus and Company, 1947) pp. 278-279

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    On the contrary, Theye learned the most important lesson of all - namely, that Theye could get away with it.

To that end, Theye also learned just how easy it is to induce paroxysms of orgiastic "patriotism".

We got around to the subject of war again and I said that, contrary to his attitude, I did not think that the common people are very thankful for leaders who bring them war and destruction.

“Why, of course, the people don’t want war,” Goering shrugged. “Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.”

“There is one difference,” I pointed out. “In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.”

“Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”
    -- Gilbert, G.M, Nuremberg Diary (New York: Farrar, Straus and Company, 1947) pp. 278-279
    /thread and repworthily so.

Humans.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

And we see this happening on a daily basis- worldwide, the US, local communities, and this forum.
    There is no spoon.