Thread: Trump cancels WW1 memorial at U.S. cemetery in France due to rain

Trump cancels WW1 memorial at U.S. cemetery in France due to rain

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KCN1NF0NU?il=0

PARIS (Reuters) - President Donald Trump could not attend a commemoration in France for U.S. soldiers and marines killed during World War One on Saturday because rain made it impossible to arrange transport, the White House said.

The last minute cancellation prompted widespread criticism on social media and from some officials in Britain and the United States that Trump had “dishonored” U.S. servicemen.

The president was scheduled to pay tribute at a ceremony at the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in Belleau, about 85 km (50 miles) east of Paris, with his wife Melania. But light steady rain and a low cloud ceiling prevented his helicopter from traveling to the site.

“(Their attendance) has been canceled due to scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather,” the White House said in a statement, adding that a delegation lead by Chief of Staff John Kelly, a retired general, went instead.

The decision prompted a rash of criticism on Twitter, with Nicholas Soames, a British member of parliament who is a grandson of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill, saying that Trump was dishonoring U.S. servicemen.

“They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to the Fallen”, Soames wrote on Twitter.
    Other foreign leaders did get out to visit cemeteries.

Ben Rhodes, who served as deputy national security adviser for strategic communications under President Barack Obama, said the excuse about the inclement weather did not stand up.

“I helped plan all of President Obama’s trips for 8 years,” he wrote on Twitter. “There is always a rain option. Always.”

Despite the light rain, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel held a moving ceremony in Compiegne, northeast of Paris, to mark the 100th anniversary of the signing of the World War One armistice.
    It was not clear what Trump decided to do instead of attending the cemetery. The White House said he was at the residence of the U.S. ambassador in Paris. During that time he sent a tweet wishing a “Happy 243rd Birthday” to the U.S. Marine Corps.
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good

He's unfit to participate in event of this character anyway.

not really a big deal... but no one will forget this last year.

And if he had flown Marine One:

"Trump endangers thousands by recklessly flying overhead in bad weather for WWI photo-op at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in Belleau"

TDS is tiresome.

Chief of Staff John Kelly, a retired general, went instead
    He's made Gen Kelly look like Rambo, just for making it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

If you want to go to the cemetery and its raining go with me , the rain rarely falls on me .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Good

i agree

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by goldenequity; 11-11-2018 at 03:37 AM.

“(Their attendance) has been canceled due to scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather,” the White House said in a statement, adding that a delegation lead by Chief of Staff John Kelly, a retired general, went instead.
    So Kelly can do what Trump can't. Wonder why?

So, by "logistical problems" they mean Trump's hair spray is not waterproof?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-11-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And if he had flown Marine One:

"Trump endangers thousands by recklessly flying overhead in bad weather for WWI photo-op at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in Belleau"

TDS is tiresome.
    If the planes were grounded and he decided to force the pilots to fly anyway that would be one thing, but I have flown on commercial airlines in the rain before and nobody accused me of endangering 1000s of people. It is silly to assume that the media would dare criticize him for showing respect to the cannon fodders who were fooled into sacrificing their lives for the state. Those veterans are among the untouchables in society. You would be made an unperson if you criticized them.

Regardless, I woke up this morning only to see that he was at some memorial with Macron singing the praises of the warfare state. I guess he has redeemed himself now.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Best explanation so far...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

CBC News Alerts
    As world leaders gathered at the Paris peace forum, one notable exception was U.S. President Donald Trump who snubbed the event;
    Air Force One has departed for Washington

Brad Cabana
    Trump leaves Paris and snubs the peace forum of world leaders. That all that needs to be said.
    Disgraceful conduct on the day we mark the deaths of millions as a result of the loss of peace. Unreal #cdnpoli #uspolitics #RememberanceDay2018

Churchill's grandson and French Army have crossed the line:

They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry

— Nicholas Soames (@NSoames) November 10, 2018

France's army appears to troll Trump for missing a WWI memorial due to rain

Alex Lockie
    3h

Could France's army be looking to make a statement? Associated Press / French Army

• France's army on Monday appeared to make fun of President Donald Trump for missing a memorial service over the weekend to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I because of rain.
    • The French army's Twitter made a rare entry into an English-language hashtag, #MondayMotivation, to say its soldiers weren't bothered by a little rain.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fran...morial-2018-11

if U don't get it... watch it again.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Out of meds:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...71844836261891

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...33882610171907

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...11785787744256

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...33534214520832

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    If the planes were grounded and he decided to force the pilots to fly anyway that would be one thing, but I have flown on commercial airlines in the rain before and nobody accused me of endangering 1000s of people. It is silly to assume that the media would dare criticize him for showing respect to the cannon fodders who were fooled into sacrificing their lives for the state. Those veterans are among the untouchables in society. You would be made an unperson if you criticized them.

Regardless, I woke up this morning only to see that he was at some memorial with Macron singing the praises of the warfare state. I guess he has redeemed himself now.
    Actually the co pay rate for the VA used to be a couple dollars higher for WW 1 Vets than other Vets . They gave you a number which determined your co pay based on service and income . So they were always second class if they survived the Great Flu that killed lots of them .
    Do something Danke

Note the absence of Trump in this photo where the other leaders walked to a memorial at the Arc de Triumph in the rain. He went- but in a car instead. Putin didn't join the walkers either. But they did make sure to stand right next to Macron once they got there.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/trump...in-doc-1ar3sv1

Trump, Putin absent for leaders' symbolic walk in Paris rain

United in the rain, world leaders walked slowly up the Champs-Elysees in Paris to mark a century since the end of World War I -- but there were two notable absences, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.

The line of black-clad leaders was reminiscent of another moment of unity: after the 2015 Charlie Hebdo jihadist attack, when senior officials from more than 40 countries marched through Paris to denounce terrorism.

But on Sunday both the US and Russian presidents arrived separately for the solemn ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe, skipping the bus ride and symbolic walk with other leaders.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump, who wore a cornflower -- France's war remembrance flower -- in his lapel, had arrived separately "due to security protocols".

His trademark bright red tie stood out among the dark coats in the front row as he and Putin stood either side of Macron.

The French president walked alone through the rain to greet veterans to the strains of the national anthem, La Marseillaise.

The moment stood in contrast to Trump's much criticised decision Saturday to call off a US cemetery visit because of rainy weather.

In another stark contrast with Trump, Macron went on to deliver a forceful speech against fear-mongering and isolationism, calling on fellow leaders to fight together for peace.

"Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism," Macron said.

"Let us build our hopes rather than playing our fears against each other."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ngton-cemetery

It wasn't raining. Maybe he just doesn't like dead people.

Trump, Pence miss Veterans Day observance at Arlington Cemetery

President Trump is spending Monday at the White House and had no plans to visit Arlington National Cemetery in northern Virginia as America observes the Veterans Day holiday.

The White House announced a so-called travel lid at 10 a.m. ET, meaning that the president is not expected to hold any public events or leave the executive mansion.

Trump returned to Washington on Sunday evening after a weekend in France, where he attended events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I. The president paid tribute earlier in the day to U.S. and allied soldiers killed in the so-called "war to end all wars."

"We are gathered together at this hallowed resting place to pay tribute to the brave Americans who gave their last breath in that mighty struggle," Trump said at the Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial in the suburbs of Paris, where more than 1,500 Americans who died in the war are buried.

"It is our duty to preserve the civilization they defended and to protect the peace they so nobly gave their lives to secure one century ago," he said after spending a moment, standing alone amid the cemetery's white crosses, holding a black umbrella.

On Saturday, Trump was criticized for failing to visit a second American cemetery about 60 miles outside of Paris because bad weather grounded the helicopter he planned to take. A handful of senior administration officials, including White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, went in the president's place.

Vice President Mike Pence did not attend Sunday's Veterans Day observance at Arlington National Cemetery, where Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie represented the administration. Wilkie made brief remarks and laid a wreath at the Arlington's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, and Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker were among the other Cabinet officials in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    So Kelly can do what Trump can't. Wonder why?

Tis simple. Gen'l Kelly is U.S military. Trump isn't. He wusses out. Did the ugly American
    tourist thingie of not going too far from a tony Tory posh hotel. Maybe he was jet-lagged?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Good

Meh. I'm of two minds on this... on one side I take it for granted that Trump didn't want to go because he didn't want to get his hair wet or something stupid, petty and shallow like that, which is obviously shameful, vain and disrespectful to be sure. On the other, these "ceremonies" are all about glorifying the state, and any positive attention they draw are in my view disrespectful of the tragically-wasted human lives... sort of like if a murderer were to attend the memorial service of his victim... also - and worse - they propagandize presently living young minds into sacrificing their lives ritualistically for some imagined "greater good".

Those who fell defending their homes and families fought for something REAL. Sadly, those many Americans, particularly in that "war to end all wars" (lol, as if the state would allow an end to war, when so much of their power derives directly from it), did not. Such a sad waste.

I'm glad Trump didn't attend, even if it surely was not for the right reason - for Trump it was likely vanity. By rights, it should have been shame.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Meh. I'm of two minds on this... on one side I take it for granted that Trump didn't want to go because he didn't want to get his hair wet or something stupid, petty and shallow like that, which is obviously shameful, vain and disrespectfu to be surel. On the other, these "ceremonies" are all about glorifying the state, and any positive attention they draw are in my view disrespectful of the tragically-wasted human lives... sort of like if a murderer were to attend the memorial service of his victim... also - and worse - they propagandize presently living young minds into sacrificing their lives ritualistically for some imagined "greater good".

Those who fell defending their homes and families fought for something REAL. Sadly, those many Americans, particularly in that "war to end all wars" (lol, as if the state would allow an end to war, when so much of their power derives directly from it), did not. Such a sad waste.

I'm glad Trump didn't attend, even if it surely was not for the right reason - for Trump it was likely vanity. By rights, it should have been shame.
    It doesn't fit with his vocal support of veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It doesn't fit with his vocal support of veterans.
    He is all talk and no action. He has let benefit checks to the veterans get months behind.
    He's willing to let each poor Sad Sack die for the greater glory of the good ole USA but he
    fails to let anything be done for the walking wounded of all our wars to the current hour.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Meh. I'm of two minds on this... on one side I take it for granted that Trump didn't want to go because he didn't want to get his hair wet or something stupid, petty and shallow like that, which is obviously shameful, vain and disrespectful to be sure. On the other, these "ceremonies" are all about glorifying the state, and any positive attention they draw are in my view disrespectful of the tragically-wasted human lives... sort of like if a murderer were to attend the memorial service of his victim... also - and worse - they propagandize presently living young minds into sacrificing their lives ritualistically for some imagined "greater good".

That's generally true with patriotic hooplah, but this is rather different IMO.

Unlike more recent wars (and some older ones), The Great War is generally recognized as a tragedy, not as anyone's victory.

Though it was certainly not "the war to end all wars," it does stand as a kind of anti-war monument.

And at this particular point in history, with Europe fracturing, I think that's quite valuable.

It's an opportunity for the people trying to upset the European order to pause and reconsider.