Thread: The controversial San Francisco homeless tax passes.

The controversial San Francisco homeless tax passes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/07/san-...ax-passes.html

Wed, 7 Nov 2018

The controversial San Francisco "homelessness tax" that divided the tech industry passed with nearly 60 percent affirmative votes, according to poll tallies Tuesday night.

Proposition C will increase gross receipts taxes for companies with more than $50 million in annual revenue by an average of 0.5 percent, generating up to $300 million a year to combat the city's homelessness crisis through initiatives like new beds in shelters and increased mental health services.

Prop C had both vocal proponents and vehement detractors in the tech industry.

Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff strongly endorsedthe measure as a moral responsibility of tech companies, many of which have received tax breaks to maintain offices downtown. Together, Benioff and Salesforce contributed more than $7 million to support the proposal, which could cost Salesforce up to $10 million in additional taxes a year.

On the other side, Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey spoke out against Prop C, as did the CEO of payments company Stripe and the founder of Zynga, Mark Pincus. Lyft, venture capitalist Michael Moritz and Y Combinator's Paul Graham all donated at least $100,000 to the "No on Prop C" campaign, too.

Critics of the proposition argued that it lacked proper accountability and oversight, and would unfairly affect financial services companies like Square. Outside the tech industry, San Francisco Mayor London Breed and state Sen. Scott Wiener opposed the measure as well.

In the weeks leading up to the election, the measure became a point of tension in a city where tech-fueled wealth stands in stark contrast with the human suffering on display on its sidewalks.

Overall, more than 7,000 people experience homelessness in San Francisco. The median house price hit $1.6 million earlier this year and one-bedroom apartments rent for an average of $3,300.

Benioff was quick to sound off on the proposition's passing on Twitter:

Supporters were hoping for the proposition to pass by a more than a two-thirds vote, which it ended up just shy of, to avoid any legal challenges. Benioff told The San Francisco Chronicle that he would fund a defense:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's amazing how poorly run SF is.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

That, and the fact SF considers itself a sanctuary city, we can expect more caravans. I hope they roll right up Hwy 1 through the blue ribbon that makes up the left in CA.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I support 100 percent san francisco tax
    Do something Danke

For some reason the country I live in has virtually no people living on the street. We take lots of refugees every year as well. Especially when compared to our population size. I am not a fan of this but I have to say we cope with it. I don't know why but some things in the US cost a whole lot of money but yield no results, that's the feeling I get when dealing with refugees or homeless people in the US.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    For some reason the country I live in has virtually no people living on the street. We take lots of refugees every year as well. Especially when compared to our population size. I am not a fan of this but I have to say we cope with it. I don't know why but some things in the US cost a whole lot of money but yield no results, that's the feeling I get when dealing with refugees or homeless people in the US.
    Over there the welfare state has to visibly work at least a little or voters will change parties, over here the two party system prevents leftists from changing parties and keeping power, because they prefer power to actually caring for the poor they just keep voting Demoncrat no matter how bad things get.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

If I may ask, what country are you referring to?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

"Sí on C"

LOL
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I think he's in the Netherlands.

Epic thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-(pizza)-oven
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The mentally ill in america will never surrender so easily .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    North Korea
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Do the TV's in their homeless shelters have the sports packages?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    North Korea
    LOL, Dam it! I sprayed the screen!

+rep

Notice how that Billionaire didn't just start a charity of his own to do that, but spent millions to get voters to force other companies to fund it.

He created a new homeless market, requirement: must be homeless in San Francisco for, at least, 6 months before you can get help... oh, yes sir, I have my homeless papers right here...

Most of the taxes collected for this will not actually even go to the homeless, that's the real joke, 70/30.

Let's get a fund going to advertise the Homeless Caravan to San Francisco movement.... all 50 States.
    Last edited by Mach; 11-08-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Notice how that Billionaire didn't just start a charity of his own to do that, but spent millions to get voters to force other companies to fund it.

He created a new homeless market, requirement: must be homeless in San Francisco for, at least, 6 months before you can get help... oh, yes sir, I have my homeless papers right here...

Most of the taxes collected for this will not actually even go to the homeless, that's the real joke, 70/30.

Let's get a fund going to advertise the Homeless Caravan to San Francisco movement.... all 50 States.
    I just repped another post of yours so I can't rep this one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post

There you have it, the standard operating procedure of the rich leftist. And Benioff is a prime example.

It goes something like this:

- Bleeding heart leftist makes billions.
    - Now billionaire wants to “take care” of the less fortunate.
    - Billionaire starts charities.
    - Billionaire decides that he will go broke trying to fund everything, and also finds that he would rather keep his own money.
    - Billionaire pushes for public money, which will coincidently fund the charities he has already created.
    - Billionaire now has control of a nice flow of public money. More money, more power.
    - Billionare decides that his company has to pay too many taxes and he starts moving his business away.
    - With his business gone, billionare calls for more taxes to fund the charities he controls. He still wants to control the place he has destroyed.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good.

Hope the stench of the unwashed and $#@! in the streets chokes them all to death.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Good.

Hope the stench of the unwashed and $#@! in the streets chokes them all to death.
    This is how I feel as well.
    I hope they keep jacking up the taxes, and punish silicon valley into oblivion.
    I hope the suburbs follow suite, so the silicon valley elite have nowhere to run.
    Then I hope for a violent maoist revolution, where all the unwashed masses of California rise up, and execute their silicon valley overlords, and strike their names from history, "because they are too rich".
    I am dead serious. I want silicon valley to nurture the beast that will literally destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    This is how I feel as well.
    I hope they keep jacking up the taxes, and punish silicon valley into oblivion.
    I hope the suburbs follow suite, so the silicon valley elite have nowhere to run.
    Then I hope for a violent maoist revolution, where all the unwashed masses of California rise up, and execute their silicon valley overlords, and strike their names from history, "because they are too rich".
    I am dead serious. I want silicon valley to nurture the beast that will literally destroy them.
    And then when it is all over we send in the army to crush the communist uprising.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Fk... Why dont they take some of their "moving violation" traffic citations (fines > $500) and use that?
    Just a single traffic ticket can send a poor household into a tailspin.

I really dont think SF has a tax revenue problem...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Good.

Hear, hear!

I had to read that one a few times, with a more snarled and gravelly voice each time.
    FJB

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Good.

I remember Ron Paul teaching me that subsidies give you more of that which you subsidize and at higher prices. I predict that homeless shelters or whatever are about to greatly increase their prices and it will gleefully be spent by the Marxists in the SF Government.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Oh me too...

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And then when it is all over we send in the army to crush the communist uprising.
    I bet you fapped.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You're too late to save them . They will all be homeless at the rate they are headed

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They'll crush themselves.
    World Star Hip-Hop and Live-Leaks has years of new juicy power struggle footage coming.

And they'll never be able to figure out why their enemies somehow always end up in the new neighborhoods they moved to.
    It's because they're addicted to that cheap labor.
    Last edited by UWDude; 11-10-2018 at 09:09 PM.

On Friday, San Francisco Superior Court ruled that Proposition C, the contentious tax law that funnels money from the city’s wealthiest companies toward homeless services, is legal.
    Proposition C places an average 0.5 percent gross receipts tax on companies that make more than $50 million in a year and uses the money to fund SF’s homeless relief efforts. The tax passed in November with more than 61 percent of the vote.
    The anti-tax Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association sued the city, alleging that under California law SF should need two-thirds of the vote to institute new taxes.
    However, the city said that new taxes placed on the ballot by the public—and not by lawmakers—only need a simple majority. City Attorney Dennis Herrera cited a 2017 court case, California Cannabis Coalition vs City of Upland, claiming that “the California Supreme Court clarified [...] that certain restrictions bind local officials, but do not bind the voters themselves.”
    Therefore, “a two-thirds majority is required to pass a special tax initiative placed on the ballot by government officials,” but not for proposals from voters themselves.
    There was some question about whether the courts would agree with Herrera’s assessment. Earlier this year, the Howard Jarvis Association sued the city over Proposition C, calling it “an illegal tax that violates decades of constitutionally protected taxpayer rights.”
    But Judge Ethan Schulman vindicated Herrera on Friday, calling the complaint “easily dismissed” and declaring that of the various justifications for the challenge “none has merit” and that they “supply no convincing evidence.”

City Hall may continue to hold off even after Friday’s ruling, anticipating future legal challenges. The Howard Jarvis Association plans to appeal.

More at: https://sf.curbed.com/2019/7/8/20686...errera-upholds

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment