Thread: Young Kim becomes first Korean-American woman elected to U.S. Congress

Young Kim becomes first Korean-American woman elected to U.S. Congress

https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2018&no=700464

Young Kim, a 56-year-old Republican, became the first Korean-American woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday (local time), by receiving 76,956 votes or 51.3 percent of the vote.

Kim beat Democrat Gil Cisneros who garnered 73,077 votes or 48.7 percent in a tight race for the seat in the California’s 39th congressional district.

She will take the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Ed Royce (Republican), who recently retired, after working for him for nearly two decades. “All the people that I met in public service, no one has ever worked as hard as Young Kim,” he said after the election results came out.

She is also the first Korean-American to be elected to the U.S. Congress in 20 years after former Rep. Jay Kim who represented California’s 41st district in 1998.

Another Korean-American Andy Kim, a 36-year-old Democrat, took the lead over Rep. Tom MacArthur in New Jersey’s 3rd district. The former national security aide in the Obama Administration narrowly led the tight race by earning 148,580 votes or 49.8 percent, with 99 percent of precincts reporting. Kim is almost certain to unseat the two-term Republican incumbent although it would take several days to finalize the count for provisional and mail ballots. The final report of the race has not been made by any major news outlets in the U.S. because it remains so tight.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My only real experience with Koreans was while I lived there . When I lived in Tacoma in the 80's I did have an old Korean lady that I bagged up all of my beer cans for so she could recycle . She was very frugal so I like her . I would have voted for her for congress .
    Do something Danke

We also had the first two native american women elected to any political position. Needless to say Warren is pissed about that.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My only real experience with Koreans was while I lived there . When I lived in Tacoma in the 80's I did have an old Korean lady that I bagged up all of my beer cans for so she could recycle . She was very frugal so I like her . I would have voted for her for congress .
    Koreans are prideful, hard working and yes frugal as hell.

Kim is a political protege of her former boss Ed Royce. Will she follow in his foot steps and get directly connected into his network of colleagues and lobbyists? Very likely. Will she have tendencies to vote based on her frugal upbringing? I think that will be a big factor but ultimately she already knows how the game is played, likely compromised a long time ago. We all know it takes a set of firm principles to survive D.C.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Koreans are prideful, hard working and yes frugal as hell.

Kim is a political protege of her former boss Ed Royce. Will she follow in his foot steps and get directly connected into his network of colleagues and lobbyists? Very likely. Will she have tendencies to vote based on her frugal upbringing? I think that will be a big factor but ultimately she already knows how the game is played, likely compromised a long time ago. We all know it takes a set of firm principles to survive D.C.
    We'll see. Give them a chance.
    "I am a bird"

Note the amount of coverage her election gets in the media mostly because she's a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    We'll see. Give them a chance.
    I agree, but I know shes been his senior staff for many years, she knows the game very well.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Note the amount of coverage her election gets in the media mostly because she's a republican.
    If she was a deadbeat dem community organizer she would be ready to run against bernie and hillary
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Republican Young Kim loses lead in California House race, accuses opponent Gil Cisneros of harassing vote counters

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...-vote-counters
    Republican congressional candidate Young Kim, who just days ago was poised to be the first Korean-American woman in Congress as she led a closely contested California House race, is accusing her opponent of "harassing and intimidating” vote counters as her lead has disappeared.

Kim is vying to replace retiring Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., in California’s 39th District, which includes part of the state's more Republican Orange County. Last week, she held about a 3-point lead over Democrat Gil Cisneros with about 150,000 votes counted.

But since then, that lead vanished, with Cisneros taking a 941-vote as of late Thursday.

Her campaign did not immediately return a request for comment from Fox News. But Kim, who was in D.C. Wednesday for orientation for newly elected House members, released a blistering statement earlier in the week, accusing the Cisneros campaign of “harassing and intimidating vote counters in Orange County.”

“Those nefarious actions reflect a campaign that knows a majority of voters cast their ballots electing Young Kim, and as a result will do anything in their desperate attempts to change the results,” the campaign said in a statement. “The Young Kim campaign is standing up for the democratic process, the will of the majority of voters, and is emphatically committed to every legal vote being counted.”

Democrat Gil Cisneros is now leading the race.

The Kim campaign claimed that Los Angeles County Registrar rebuked the Cisneros campaign for “physical vote tampering.” But in a statement to Business Insider, the registrar said that it had not addressed anything related to ballot tampering.

The Cisneros campaign called the allegations false.

“The claims made by Young Kim mirror rhetoric from President Trump and are divorced from reality, and it’s because she knows that she will continue to lose ground as more ballots are counted,” the Cisneros campaign said. “We support the Registrars and they should continue to have the opportunity to count every ballot.”

Kim emigrated from South Korea and lived in Guam and Hawaii before working in Royce’s congressional office for more than two decades. She picked up Royce’s endorsement earlier this year. Campaigning, she emphasized her independence from President Trump, distancing herself from some of his rhetoric while agreeing with him on other issues.

“I try to tell [voters] I’m not running to be his spokesperson or represent Donald Trump in the White House,” she told the Los Angeles Times.

But the bullish attitude from the Kim campaign is similar to that from Trump -- who has accused Democrats of underhand tactics in Florida, where the Senate and gubernatorial campaigns were being subjected to recounts.

On Monday, Trump tweeted that “large numbers of new ballots showed up out of nowhere, and many ballots are missing or forged.”

is this a banana republic? Why aren't the counts completed yet over 2 weeks after election day!
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.