Thread: Haven Lock. 10x stronger than a deadbolt.

Haven Lock. 10x stronger than a deadbolt.

Looks like a good security device. Slightly pricey but I'm liking it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why'd they go and make it have bluetooth?
    That means it can be hacked.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    On the plus side, police would be able to disable it remotely when breaking into your house.

You might have to buy a new dog, but at least you wouldn't have to buy a new door.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

That was my thought too. Hell, they probably put in a govt back door.

So if you left the house without your phone you would need to break a window or something since even a locksmith would not be able to get you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So if you left the house without your phone you would need to break a window or something since even a locksmith would not be able to get you in.
    How would you leave the house with it engaged?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How would you leave the house with it engaged?
    At one point in the video it appeared that closing the door activated it. Maybe they didn't show it being activated with a phone. The shape looks like the door may be able to close over it (kinda like those "don't enter" spikes in garages) but I may be assuming on this.

One review notes: https://www.asecurelife.com/haven-lock-review/

It loses a few points because it can be unlocked only from inside the house, but it’s still a worthy security investment. At a higher price point, you can order the Haven Connect to get smart lock features.
    So if you don't get the "smart" version, you can only use the lock when you are already at home?

Another review: https://homealarmreport.com/haven-connect-review/

Geofencing can make Haven Connect more convenient to use. Essentially, it creates a virtual fence around the device itself. When you (and your smartphone) enter the fenced area, Connect will automatically unlock, eliminating the need to use your phone or key fob. And when you leave the area, Connect locks automatically, ensuring protection even if you forget.

Smart home integrations, on the other hand, will make Connect a better security solution. Imagine a door brace that automatically locks the door when you set your smart thermostat to Sleep mode. Or a door brace that autonomously locks when an unknown face is seen by your smart outdoor camera.
    $300
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I'd imagine it is not exclusive to only one unique device, otherwise families, etc. couldn't use it.

The manufacture may have a code a "locksmith" can get permission from the home owner to use to unlock it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are two different versions. With the bluetooth you can engage it when you leave the home. The manual you can only engage will in it.

Aside from Bluetooth hacking concerns, it looks like a tripping hazard. If you are concerned about the deadbolt security of your door, I can recommend a different solution:

There are several different manufacturers selling these door jamb armor sets on amazon.com. The main thing is that there is a long steel plate that distributes the force across a large area and they use longer than normal screws to secure them. I'm pretty sure that I got the "Door Sentinel" from https://www.patriotcrimedefense.com/ many years ago.

Also,. if you are concerned about windows... https://www.shattergard.com/
    Last edited by Bern; 11-08-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Aside from Bluetooth hacking concerns, it looks like a tripping hazard. If you are concerned about the deadbolt security of your door, I can recommend a different solution:

There are several different manufacturers selling these door jamb armor sets on amazon.com. The main thing is that there is a long steel plate that distributes the force across a large area and they use longer than normal screws to secure them. I'm pretty sure that I got the "Door Sentinel" from https://www.patriotcrimedefense.com/ many years ago.

Also,. if you are concerned about windows... https://www.shattergard.com/
    And now your door doesn't close...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I do not lock it , I just sit behind it with the 100 round magazine locked and loaded . The trip wire will will let me know when to put my coffee down .
    Do something Danke

I design my own doors.

My most recent was built in 2014. I bought a solid walnut office door, 9' tall, from Habitat for something like $20.

I clad it with 1/4" steel plate and 2" angle iron around the edges. In total, it weighs about 500 pounds. I designed and machined the hinges, using 4140 drops as the barrels that came out of Douglass Barrels in Nitro. Into those I pressed bronze bushings I machined. I welded 27" long straps to them which were then welded to the 1/2" thick curb armor I used as the door jamb.

Short of destructive devices, nobody is getting into my basement. In fact, I believe it would be easier to go through the block foundation wall.

I really like making stuff.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I design my own doors.

My most recent was built in 2014. I bought a solid walnut office door, 9' tall, from Habitat for something like $20.

I clad it with 1/4" steel plate and 2" angle iron around the edges. In total, it weighs about 500 pounds. I designed and machined the hinges, using 4140 drops as the barrels that came out of Douglass Barrels in Nitro. Into those I pressed bronze bushings I machined. I welded 27" long straps to them which were then welded to the 1/2" thick curb armor I used as the door jamb.

Short of destructive devices, nobody is getting into my basement. In fact, I believe it would be easier to go through the block foundation wall.

It definitely would be easier to go through the block, lol. And that walnut door was a real find.

I design my own doors.

Nice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I design my own doors.

What are you hiding in your basement...

Don't answer that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.