Thread: What the Midterms Mean

What the Midterms Mean

What the Midterms Mean
    By Jeff Deist

The Most Important Election of our Lifetime™ may be a referendum on Trump, Kavanaugh, #metoo, migrant caravans, or any number of manufactured outrages since the 2016 presidential election. It will not be a referendum on foreign policy, the Federal Reserve, debt, spending entitlements, spying, civil liberties, or anything important with regard to state power.

By any objective measure, the ideological and policy disagreements between the national Democrat and Republican parties are not significant. Both accept the central tenets of domestic and foreign interventionism, both accept the federal government as the chief organizing principle for American society, and both view politics simply as a fight for control of state apparatus.

Similarly, differences between policies actually enacted by Mr. Trump and the existing Congress and those likely to have been enacted by Mrs. Clinton and the same Congress are fairly small. While Mr. Trump alarms the Left with his tone and tenor, his actual views on taxes, spending, debt, trade, guns, immigration (the "Muslim ban" was neither) and war (unfortunately his good campaign rhetoric is largely abandoned) plainly comport with the general thrust of Clinton's neo-liberalism.

Today's ugly midterm elections are about style rather than substance, party rather than principle, and power rather than ideas. Americans do not much argue about whether we are governed by DC, and only slightly over how we are governed by DC. But we argue viciously about who governs us from DC.
    More: https://mises.org/wire/what-midterms-mean
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's really good analysis and food for thought. Puts things in a different perspective from all the crazy making. Shared...
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    ON. THE. NOSE.
    There is no spoon.

Why does Jeff Deist hate America?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Nancy Pelosi for the Speaker of the House!

A very naïve, short sighted, and blatantly false characterization. The past two years have revealed more differences than similarities, so much so it got me to vote in my first midterm.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    A very naïve, short sighted, and blatantly false characterization. The past two years have revealed more differences than similarities, so much so it got me to vote in my first midterm.
    Agreed. There's no way a Democrat house/senate would have passed anything remotely close to Trump's huge 0.5% income tax cut last year.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Of note:

Ron Paul "... when they politicize it they mean 'Well there's only two political parties,' and I'm always arguing 'I wish they'd get a second one' ..."
    "...what we have today is a two party system. I think it's tragic. I think the two parties are exactly alike and when people ask me about this I say 'You know I'm waiting, they say "we need to solve this problem, we need a third party." I say no I think what we need is a second party.' " - Ron Paul

"The voting, the voting is a tricky question because, uh, people who tell me 'It's not worth it. I'm not gonna go vote.' you know this sort of thing. I respect them for that because they're not voting for the right reason. ... But then the other answer is wrong, 'You've been involved. You've been working hard to get elected.' I did and when I was doing that I was not trying to be a part of the system as much as using the system to promote something I believed in." - Ron Paul

Yeah, Deist and that senile old fool Ron Paul really need to get with the program and embrace the new intellectual and philosophical basis for the "liberty movement" which seems to go something like this:

Democrats = Bad
    Republicans = Good
    Trump = GREAT

A much more sophisticated and less naive approach to achieving liberty, to be sure.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Yeah, Deist and that senile old fool Ron Paul really need to get with the program and embrace the new intellectual and philosophical basis for the "liberty movement" which seems to go something like this:

Democrats = Bad
    Republicans = Good
    Trump = GREAT

A much more sophisticated and less naive approach to achieving liberty, to be sure.
    Funny how everyone in the liberty movement run as republicans.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Will her #Cromnibus be bigger than Paul Ryan’s?

Admittedly, it would be much easier to despise Pelosi, as she is naturally despicable. You can find out what’s in her cromnibus after she crams it down your throat.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 11-06-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Funny how everyone in the liberty movement run as republicans.
    It’s true that the liberty oriented Republicans like Rand have more influence on some issues with a GOP leadership and POTUS.

On the biggest issues such as those listed in the OP, they don’t have any influence, as the Democrats happily go along with the establishment, welfare/warfare state Republicans in leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Agreed. There's no way a Democrat house/senate would have passed anything remotely close to Trump's huge 0.5% income tax cut last year.
    They would quadruple that as an increase and give it to the poor .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They would quadruple that as an increase and give it to the poor .
    Define poor. Does that include me?

If so I'm fine with it.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Define poor. Does that include me?

If so I'm fine with it.
    They will tell you that but pocket it later . Shell game.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Expect her to be challenged by a younger someone who is more impulsively radical. Impatient, even...