Thread: Use of US troops, violation of Posse Comitatus?

Use of US troops, violation of Posse Comitatus?

The Bush administration had enough respect for the rule of law to actually get Congress to amend it. And then restore it.

Who the hell knows what they were planning.

In this instance, does it violate posse comitatus?
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guarding the border doesn't violate Posse Comitatus, the border isn't domestic.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Posse Comitatus was repealed a while back. Or so I am told.

Goto the Reconstruction Era & delve into how individual states in the South fell under it.
    It's a complex legal question that has its martial law levels of interpretation that Ms. Sarah
    Huckabee Sanders basically ended up not clarifying. Does the sending of 5,000 troops to the
    border need it to justify their actions? Is our sitting POTUS trying to create a mini-crisis so
    that he can have martial law? The South is garrisoned with Union troops into the 1870s.

GOTO the Civil Rights Act of 1866 and the ways it is enforced in Section 5...

Bush, in 2006 could send troops. Obama in 2010 added to them.
    Tacitly, Mr. Trump can utilize them as technical precedents. When
    Rutherford B. Hayes signs into law the bill he does, much of the
    control is in the hands of Congress. Honest Abe was given vast
    and sweeping wartime powers. The Civil Rights Act of 1866 has
    various ways it can be enforced. As a reaction to the Presidential
    Reconstruction of Andrew Johnson, Congress legislates more of a
    degree of control to Congress. This is behind the intent in 1878, too.
    Tacitly, even though he can be "chicken little" alarmist & then some,
    despite or because of his hyperbole, Trump can send the troops due
    to what Bush & Obama did. In 1967, the Hayes 1878 version of things
    is overturned. There has been this small government verses big gov't
    debate since the ending of the Civil War & a shifting of power back an'
    forth between the president of the hour & congress. Some of us have
    been upset over a central gov't on steroids going into road rage mode...
    Last edited by Aratus; 10-30-2018 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Some of us have had our druthers over too much power in the hands of the very few...

IMOHO Donald Trump did not do enough after Hurricane Maria to send supplies
    into Puerto Rico so as to ensure the safety of all U.S citizens, and he is about to
    send U.S Army units to the border to patrol it, as starving members of the caravan
    become a listless army needing their own relief operation. If they are denied food
    and water, they may starve. Trump's incompetence a year ago led to the premature
    deaths of 1000 to 3000 U.S citizens. He may be impeached over this. He does have
    the authority to send troops to the border, so to co-ordinate things with local officials.
    Rather than an army of healthy yet 'rabid' trained killers, this is a caravan of people of
    all ages who are going to be increasingly sick and debilitated over time, if little is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    into Puerto Rico so as to ensure the safety of all U.S citizens, and he is about to
    send U.S Army units to the border to patrol it, as starving members of the caravan
    become a listless army needing their own relief operation. If they are denied food
    and water, they may starve. Trump's incompetence a year ago led to the premature
    deaths of 1000 to 3000 U.S citizens. He may be impeached over this. He does have
    the authority to send troops to the border, so to co-ordinate things with local officials.
    Rather than an army of healthy yet 'rabid' trained killers, this is a caravan of people of
    all ages who are going to be increasingly sick and debilitated over time, if little is done.
    You know, I was thinking of heading out on a perilous journey across the desert, risking sickness and death just so I could break into your house, whether you would let me in or not. It's your fault, because you didn't send me a pizza last week when I was hongry.
    What a load of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    You know, I was thinking of heading out on a perilous journey across the desert, risking sickness and death just so I could break into your house, whether you would let me in or not. It's your fault, because you didn't send me a pizza last week when I was hongry.
    What a load of crap.
    Yah, I'm not getting it.

Where does the Constitution grant government the authority to do anything mentioned above...?
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Are you suggesting US taxpayers are obliged to take these people in and feed them?

into Puerto Rico so as to ensure the safety of all U.S citizens
    Puerto Rico was handled a lot better than New Orleans was. Trump actually did a great job there, despite the media's initial attempts to turn it into his Katrina.

Even though it's not constitutional, it was effective.

Only took a year to get power to everybody. But Trump did pass out flashlights for them to use. "You don't need 'em anymore!"