Thread: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon officially will become an unperson

Exclamation Apu Nahasapeemapetilon officially will become an unperson

Zombie Simpsons on full display.

What was a cutting edge show, with biting commentary and wit, that cheerfully skewered cultural shibboleths and sacred cows from all angles, is now just another weaksauce, politically correct pile of mush, a shadow of it's former self.

Not from a victim angle, but from a comedy angle, you can only insult, stereotype and mock white people (the only acceptable mockery allowed anymore...I notice Groundskeeper Willie and Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel aren't going anywhere) just so much until you run out jokes and the whole thing becomes stale and tired.

Maybe this is what will take to shove a stake through the heart of Zombie Simpsons, doing the show and all of us, a favor by killing it off, finally.

‘The Simpsons’ Drops Apu Character Due to Racial Stereotyping Controversy

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...g-controversy/

27 Oct 2018

Producers of The Simpsons have announced that their long-running Indian character, Apu, will be written out of the show due to increased complaints that he reflects an insulting racial stereotype, NME reported.

The nearly 30-year-old animated sitcom has featured Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon as a wise-cracking, and sometimes clueless, father of eight children.

Apu first appeared in 1990, early in the series. But criticism has been mounting over the depiction of the character. With the character being a convenience store owner and sporting a heavy accent, it has been deemed a “racist” depiction of an Indian-American. People of Indian heritage have slammed the heavily accented cartoon character for reinforcing stereotypes they insist can lead to bullying and self-loathing.

The series has acknowledged that the character has become a problem. Indeed, The Simpsons did make a small attempt to wink and nod at the issue with the Apu character. In the April episode titled, “No Good Read Goes Unpunished,” one segment dealt with the stereotypes that were once accepted in society but have become problematic today.

In the episode, Lisa Simpson tells her mother, Marge, “Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect. What can you do?” As Lisa delivered the line, a framed photo of Apu is seen sitting on a bedstand next to her.

(Not watch. Reject it. Offer alternatives. Deliberately be politically incorrect. Just for starters - AF)

But now, that problem is about to disappear into thin air. And some are not happy with the plans.

Indie film producer and Indian-American Adi Shankar attempted to raise fan support for a Simpsons episode that would deal with the show’s “Apu problem.”

However, that idea is set to die, as Shankar has reported, “I’ve verified from multiple sources now: They’re going to drop the Apu character altogether. They aren’t going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they’ll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy.”

Shankar, however, says the sudden disappearance of a near 30-year-old character is a mistake. “If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice,” Shankar said.

Shankar concluded that just dropping the character without explanation is “a step backward” for race relations.

Some actors on the series have also expressed unease with the Apu character.

Only a few months ago, Hank Azaria, the actor who has voiced the character since its debut, announced that he would no longer provide Apu’s voice for the animated series.

During an April appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Azaia said he hoped producers of the series would make a change over the character.

“I’m perfectly willing and happy to step aside or help transition it into something new. I really hope that’s what The Simpsons does,” Azaria proclaimed.

Azaria added that if anyone was bullied because of Apu, he would be mortified. He said he only wanted to “spread laughter and joy with” the character.

“I’ve given this a lot of thought, and as I say my eyes have been opened,” Azaria exclaimed:

I think the most important thing is we have to listen to South Asian people, Indian people in this country, when they talk about what they feel and how they think about this character, and what their American experience of it has been … Listening to voices means inclusion in the writers’ room. I really want to see Indian, South Asian writers in the writers’ room, not in a token way, but genuinely informing whatever new direction this character may take, including how it is voiced or not voiced.

Comedian and Indian-American Hari Kondabolu, also recently expressed his distaste over the character with a documentary titled, The Problem With Apu. Kondabolu said that growing up as an Indian in the U.S., he was often made fun of by other children with the Apu catchphrase: “Thank you, come again.”

“Sure, growing up in New York City everyone tries to be funny. If you grow up there, you learn to make jokes and how to make comebacks, but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?,” Kondabolu told the BBC late last year.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-27-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't matter. Anyone with half a brain switched to anime already, and is enjoying PC-free content aimed at an audience 20 IQ points higher than the American one.

Never knew Apu had such a ridiculously last name.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Never knew Apu had such a ridiculously last name.
    That is not atypical for an Indian name. You wouldn't believe some of the names I saw when working for a Tamil immigration lawyer. 40 characters in some of them.

Shankar, however, says the sudden disappearance of a near 30-year-old character is a mistake. “If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice,” Shankar said.

Shankar concluded that just dropping the character without explanation is “a step backward” for race relations.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Homer made the right choice.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Homer made the right choice.
    At the end of the episode, he changes his mind and he votes No on 24. But the motion passes anyways and you see Willie being deported. Apu gets his citizenship so he doesn't get deported.

Wait till they start "writing him out" of the re-runs.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by homahr View Post
    At the end of the episode, he changes his mind and he votes No on 24. But the motion passes anyways and you see Willie being deported. Apu gets his citizenship so he doesn't get deported.
    Then he made the wrong choice and someone cheated for Apu.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Then he made the wrong choice and someone cheated for Apu.
    You do realize this is all fictional right? Have you seen the episode? Its hilarious.

Moe was shown as cheating for somebody, but not for Apu as they weren't shown interacting in the episode.

Apu's oral exam for citizenship:

Apu studies for his citizenship test:

Quote Originally Posted by homahr View Post
    You do realize this is all fictional right? Have you seen the episode? Its hilarious.

Moe was shown as cheating for somebody, but not for Apu as they weren't shown interacting in the episode.
    I know it is fiction and I haven't seen the episode, I am commenting because such fiction is used as propaganda to affect people's view of the real world.

Illegal aliens are not eligible for citizenship.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Illegal aliens are not eligible for citizenship.
    But paperclip nazi's are.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.