Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Murder Rate Drops to 33-Year Low

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
    Homicide stats are a bit iffy, since the number of homicides is supposed to fall simply because of advances in medicine. These days the general rule is that if you make it to the hospital alive, you'll survive, to a higher degree than before. You can have an increase in the overall level of violence and a decrease in homicides at the same time.
    That's true, but that's not what's happened in this case.

And then there's property crime, which should be correlated with violent crime:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Must be due to all those rapists/ criminals/ murderers we have been importing.

Notice how crime peaks in 1991. Roe v Wade was passed in 1973. Unpopular answer, but a lot of those kids who who would have entered their prime crime committing years were aborted.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Notice how crime peaks in 1991. Roe v Wade was passed in 1973. Unpopular answer, but a lot of those kids who who would have entered their prime crime committing years were aborted.
    1991 was also the peak of the crack cocaine epidemic.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Louisiana is not a race
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    A few years ago LA doctors went on strike and the death rate went.....DOWN.
    Did the trauma deaths go down?
    Or was it just the iatrogenic deaths?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Legal immigrants in general commit less crime, nobody is disputing that, they pull down the crime rate and combined with a drop in native crime that reduced the crime rate more than the illegals increased it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

1991 was also the peak of the crack cocaine epidemic.
    http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/a...d-you-believe/

He addresses crack pretty thoroughly in the middle of this post.

Motte and Bailey.

I've learned to be wary about those kinds of stats as well. We've seen a pretty huge spike in reported violent crime for decades now, only to be told that violent crime is going down and that it's just people reporting more crimes. People seem to have a tendency to "massage" data to suit their agenda.

The line is number of reported "assaults", the bars show population level.
    Last edited by Kilrain; 10-19-2018 at 05:34 PM.

I've learned to be wary about those kinds of stats as well. We've seen a pretty huge spike in reported violent crime for decades now, only to be told that violent crime is going down and that it's just people reporting more crimes. People seem to have a tendency to "massage" data to suit their agenda.

The line is number of reported "assaults", the bars show population level.
    What's the source of that data?

What's the source of that data?
    It's listed in the picture.

SCB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_Sweden

BRÅ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...ime_Prevention

RSÅ: Not sure what that is.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's listed in the picture.

SCB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_Sweden

BRÅ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...ime_Prevention

RSÅ: Not sure what that is.
    We were talking about the US, not Sweden.

And he was talking about lies, D@&^ LIES and statistics.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Like Swordsmyth said, my point was more about relying on statistics in general. Geographical location is not all that relevant to that.

Like Swordsmyth said, my point was more about relying on statistics in general. Geographical location is not all that relevant to that.
    Well, my point was about the dramatically declining murder/violent-crime/property-crime rate in the US.

...to which crime data from another country is entirely irrelevant.

Except violent crime has gone up in Sweden and everyone acknowledges it. Who is telling you otherwise? Sweden has more rapes [er capita than any Western country by far. Also noteworthy is that even left leaning outlets attribute the rise in violent crime in Sweden to Muslim refugees.

https://www.politico.eu/article/swed...law-and-order/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/w...8C4E4C&gwt=pay
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...tion-policies/

Whereas crime is falling in the US.

Steven Pinker debunked the Freakonomics theory some years ago.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Except violent crime has gone up in Sweden and everyone acknowledges it. Who is telling you otherwise? Sweden has more rapes [er capita than any Western country by far. Also noteworthy is that even left leaning outlets attribute the rise in violent crime in Sweden to Muslim refugees.

https://www.politico.eu/article/swed...law-and-order/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/w...8C4E4C&gwt=pay
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...tion-policies/

Whereas crime is falling in the US.

I'm sorry, I really wasn't trying to make this about Sweden - again. Again, my point was about statistics and their use/misuse.

And you'll hear "Violence is dropping", "Sweden has never been safer", etc., from all the usual suspects - governmental and non-governmental - in Sweden. Foreigners, even left-leaning foreigners, are better able to point out the obvious.

Please forgive my derail of the thread, it was unintended and I don't want to seem like a broken record.

I'm sorry, I really wasn't trying to make this about Sweden - again. Again, my point was about statistics and their use/misuse.

And you'll hear "Violence is dropping", "Sweden has never been safer", etc., from all the usual suspects - governmental and non-governmental - in Sweden. Foreigners, even left-leaning foreigners, are better able to point out the obvious.

Please forgive my derail of the thread, it was unintended and I don't want to seem like a broken record.
    do you know “ the angey foreigner?”
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    do you know “ the angey foreigner?”
    I've heard of him, watched a video or two of his a long time ago, but that's it.

Hmmm...

A bunch of "libertarians" telling me that we need to let the illegals in. On the other hand, I'm getting emails from Ron Paul to support Chris McDaniels to outlaw Sanctuary cities. You don't need to outlaw sanctuary cities without illegal immigration.

Choose one already guys, jesus..
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I've heard of him, watched a video or two of his a long time ago, but that's it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSJY0c8QWw

He has a lot of good videos on his channel, surprise he has not been banned yet.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Hmmm...

A bunch of "libertarians" telling me that we need to let the illegals in. On the other hand, I'm getting emails from Ron Paul to support Chris McDaniels to outlaw Sanctuary cities. You don't need to outlaw sanctuary cities without illegal immigration.

Choose one already guys, jesus..
    What does Ron say?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb...forum-20120201

"I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they're the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state," Paul told the group. "In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

"Now there's a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants," he continued. "You say, no not immigrants, it's just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy."

Paul said he's not one of those politicians who believes that "barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems." That's not, he said, the American way. And he doesn't think that a national identification card is the way to go.

And all we had to do is enact a massive police/prison state to keep a lid on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And all we had to do is enact a massive police/prison state to keep a lid on everything.
    And then Down Town will be just like the Upper Yard.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    People here argue for an even bigger police state to deal with immigrants. Small government libertarians? Only on certain issues.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/65789...igertown-texas

After ICE Raid, A Shortage Of Welders In Tigertown, Texas

With new enforcement priorities under the Trump administration, Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents are taking aim at employers that knowingly hire unauthorized immigrants. The most recent — and largest — bust happened at a trailer manufacturing plant in northeast Texas.

Business had been booming at Load Trail LLC, about two hours northeast of Dallas, as customers bought the black trailers to haul hay bales, topsoil, construction refuse and oilfield equipment. Then came the ICE raid in late August.

Inside Load Trail's huge production building, welders turn raw steel into trailers, amid cacophonous clanging and showers of sparks. It's brutish labor — cut the heavy black metal, lug it into place, arc-weld it, repeat — but the production floor is nearly half-empty because of an acute shortage of welders.

Load Trail CEO Kevin Hiebert remembers the morning of Aug. 28, when a helicopter thumped overhead and 300 ICE agents swarmed into his yard. "It looked like something you would typically see in the movies," he said, "not something you ever planned on living out in real life."

ICE rounded up more than 150 employees — nearly a quarter of Hiebert's workforce — loaded them into buses and booked them for working in the country unlawfully. A criminal investigation of the company continues.

So far this year, ICE agents have stormed 7-Eleven stores, a meatpacking plant, dairy and vegetable farms and a feedlot.
    The company may have to move to Mexico so they can get enough workers.

And back at Tigertown, some trailer manufacturers say that if they can't find enough welders, they would consider moving their entire operations to Mexico.

Perhaps the government should raid every business in the country and check the papers of all of their workers. We can't let anybody escape!
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-20-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Totally free immigration! I`ve never taken that position...Well, you work on both. The most important is the welfare state, but you can still beef up your borders and get rid of some incentives for illegals....Ron Paul

More at: http://www.vdare.com/articles/ron-pa...al-sovereignty

Well, I start off with saying that it`s a big problem. I don`t like to get involved with the Federal Government very much, but I do think it is a federal responsibility to protect our borders....And that`s why I don`t think our border guards should be sent to Iraq, like we`ve done. I think we need more border guards. But to have the money and the personnel, we have to bring our troops home from Iraq. Ron Paul

More at: http://www.vdare.com/articles/ron-pa...al-sovereignty

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People here argue for an even bigger police state to deal with immigrants. Small government libertarians? Only on certain issues.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/65789...igertown-texas

The company may have to move to Mexico so they can get enough workers.

Perhaps the government should raid every business in the country and check the papers of all of their workers. We can't let anybody escape!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

More guns equals less crime and murders? Who would have thought?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast