Thread: Italy: Racist Party Called Racist, Sues For Defamation

Italy: Racist Party Called Racist, Sues For Defamation

Cécile Kyenge, the first black politician to serve in Italy's government, is being sued for defamation by the leader of the country's far-right League party.

Matteo Salvini, Italy’s interior minister and the leader of the hardline anti-immigration League, launched the lawsuit against Ms Kyenge four years after she called his party racist.

A string of politicians from the League party have attacked Ms Kyenge, an eye doctor who was born in Congo but lived in Italy since she was a 19-year-old student, in starkly racist terms over the years.

One League senator, Roberto Caldaroli, compared her to an orangutan, while an MEP said Ms Kyenge wanted to impose her “tribal traditions” on Italy and was running a “bonga bonga government”.

A councillor even wrote on Facebook in 2013 that Ms Kyenge should be raped so she would “know what it feels like” when an Italian woman was allegedly attacked by an African migrant.

Last month Mr Salvini began legal proceedings against Ms Kyenge over comments made in an interview in 2014, at the height of the racist furore. Responding to a picture posted by a League politician depicting her as an orangutan, she said the party was racist.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8580921.html

I guess they were triggered.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Calling someone an orangutan based on appearance isn't racist.

Thinking that it's racist to call an African an orangutan, but not racist to call a European an orangutan is...drum roll...racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
    Calling someone an orangutan based on appearance isn't racist.

Thinking that it's racist to call an African an orangutan, but not racist to call a European an orangutan is...drum roll...racist.
    That isnt actually all they did. It would be one thing if that was all that was said. Also its different when someone from your race makes the insult and entirely different when its coming from someone from a diff race.

Read the article. Btw, I know a lot of people here do not believe racism can even exist in the world. Ignore this post if this is u.

Litigating speech is idiocy...