Thread: Could we see the end of Google?

Could we see the end of Google?

According to futurist George Gilder the era of Google could be coming to an end. In his recent book “Life after Google”, Gilder explains why Silicon Valley is suffering a nervous breakdown and what to expect as the post-Google age dawns.
    Is it worthwhile paying attention to what somebody like George Gilder says? Putting aside the fact that nobody can accurately predict the future on a consistent basis (as has been shown by Gilder’s track record), it is possible to make informed statements about the future based on sound logic. Here Gilder does base his assumptions on more than conjecture.
    So where does Gilder come up with such an outlook regarding Google? As Peter Thiel pointed out, “Google’s algorithms assume the world’s future is nothing more than the next moment in a random process. George Gilder shows how deep this assumption goes, what motivates people to make it, and why it’s wrong: the future depends on human action.”
    The argument is based on an analysis of big data. Right now, big data looks like it holds all the answers for any questions a person or company might have. William Terdoslavich wrote in InformationWeek, “At the heart of big data is the search for “insight — some correlation or finding that eludes the seeker until he or she adds another terabyte or 10 of data, just in case it is lurking there. At a certain point, the law of diminishing returns has to kick in. Adding another 100TB becomes redundant.”
    Nassim Taleb pointed this out by the following analogy, “We humans do not predict when it’s safe to cross a road by adding more different data-points, like e.g. the colour of the eyes of by-passing car-drivers, to our decision-making process, but by filtering the data and only assess what’s relevant to get across safely.”
    In 1972, Gordon Bell formulated what is now known as Bell’s law of computer classes. It describes how types of computing systems (referred to as computer classes) form, evolve and may eventually die out. New classes of computers create new applications resulting in new markets and new industries. Gilder believes that Google can’t continue on the present path as we now need an entirely knew infrastructure.
    Kurt Godel, the brilliant Austrian mathematitian exposed the limitations of mathematics (the incompleteness theorems). He proved that there can be no human construct, no human system of thought that does not rely on some reality outside of itself. It shows that human intelligence could not be recreated by a traditional computer.
    Google was built on ads. All these arguments can be seen as presenting a case where Google’s system of aggregating huge amounts of data to create adverts will inevitably break down. There is also the concern that Google and Silicon Valley in general have put security on the back burner. The fear is that Google has been avoiding the challenge of security across the internet by giving away most of its products for free, and financing itself with an ingenious advertising strategy. This has become more apparent with the recent massive data breach at Google+.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...see-end-google
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My opinion always was Google's goal was to eliminate humans from any decision making process. They never realized they were trying to bite more than they could chew.

Now we need a new thread about The Good Censor:

due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.
    https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/...-and-civility/

A lot would have to happen for google to go away.

First off we'd need another smartphone other than Android to come into play. Android is on 90% of all smartphones all feeding into Google in some fashion. Apple has shown they don't care about low end consumer markets so it isn't coming from there. Microsoft gave up on the smartphone. While the majority of their money is ad based - 70% - more and more is coming from services.

Google has a variety of projects in Google X, each has to be a billion dollar idea to even qualify for it to be a X project. Only a few have "graduated" in that they have to make a profit, such as high altitude balloons for Internet access. All of those ideas would have to fail

How people use the 'net would have to change. Youtube is still an immense amount of content

Google does a lot of corporate packages for emails, docs, etc. They offer a lot of various hosted services

All the other various Google IP

Google does have mis-steps such as Google+ but that was minor in the grand scheme.

They have a huge warchest so if they do have problems it will not be a quick fading away, even Yahoo lasted for a 2 decades past their prime.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Life After Google

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Now I am using bing.com and it is getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsback View Post
    Now I am using bing.com and it is getting better.
    Use DuckDuckGo
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Use DuckDuckGo
    bing.com also pays 5 cents per search to USA, Europe and some other countries.

duckduckgo is not good.

Not in our lifetimes probably, though they should move to
    China and leave no trace behind.
    Google, Youtube , Facebook etc, are evil empires
    engaged in spying, data mining , and abject censorship,
    social engineering, shadow banning.
    They have become de facto public utilities yet they ban people for
    merely having opinions that differ from their own.

Google has already peaked, the financials may lag, but they jumped the shark, when they shifted from the goal being to catalog all the worlds data and attempt to display the most relevant results to controlling what data gets to the end user.

I personally use the brave browser primarily now, I use duckduckgo, I use alternatives to youtube if the content is available elsewhere, etc....

They did some good along the way it's time for google to die now, before they do enough bad to outweigh their legacy of the 2000-2010ish era.

It's amazing they only did search well in the past, google maps was good, and android gave competition to the iphone (but still it's just an ad machine/spying device to them). Gmail, blah, it can be replaced in a day, youtube was good until a couple years ago, now it displays false search results guiding by ideology, so in that regard it has one of the worst search engines of all the video sites, same with google search. Search for current event topics on youtube now just $#@!s out results from "approved" MSM sources near exclusively, that is not a real search engine. It's a bias machine.

Youtube is not a long term play either the money/tech to make a youtube alternative is only getting cheaper and cheaper and they are doing nothing to gain users nor improve search, they are doing the opposite in pursuit of an extreme leftist ideology.

So, I say a dead google would be a good google at this point.

That goes for facebook and twitter as well.

I think facebook and twitter are more immediately vulnerable to being supplanted though simply because "google it" is implanted in the collective brain now, far moreso than facebook or twitter, which are trash services to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Use DuckDuckGo
    I see duckduck, Bing, and I'll add startpage, they don't keep a log, or so they say, they use google
    search engine , but no trail supposedly unless you choose that option.
    Very interesting clip, and in the end he gives a nod to asset based currency (gold) which
    was a promising note of encouragement to me.

A lot of these alternative search engines run on Amazon Hardware, so you know that at least Amazon has access to all your search history too.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I got this:

Funny thing is that I've never believed this tinfoil sh%t untile one time I was talking on the phone about my friend Cosmo, just his nickname but w/e. And hours after that I've started to get this ad about some "Cosmo phone" sh%t on the Instagram. That experience was like waking after a party night and finding your wallet empty