Thread: Incrementalism: Enemy of Freedom

Incrementalism: Enemy of Freedom

Excellent video by Larken Rose.

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @8:05 - Run away! Is he for real?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    @8:05 - Run away! Is he for real?
    Running away is for cowards. Real men stay and vote for their rights
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

Ok, I watched the video, but there's a mistake I think he's making. You can do both at once.

In my personal life, I follow the Harry Browne method of I do what I want regardless of what some law tells me to do. I avoid coming into collision with the State whenever possible. In my personal life, I am in no way an incrementalist.

However, that doesn't preclude me from supporting incremental restrictions on government. I support any restriction on the use of government, regardless of how much, as long as it's incremental in the right direction. You can't starve the beast by your own accord - all you can do is stop being the one to feed it. That's what we all should do. But at the same time, there is nothing stopping us from using their mechanisms to limit their reach.

The bigger problem is that most people want the government to have power - they just want the power to be used to their advantage. Which is why both parties grow government.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Always enjoy reading Larken's posts on FB. Good stuff.

Larkin Rose is just wrong on this. Again, we have someone comparing two things that are not similar. Slavery did not come about through incrementalism and for that reason, it can be abolished as fast as it was established which is in a flash. Govt on the other hand can and I believe should be gradually abolished if only to give people who are accustomed to it the chance to adjust.

Just my 2 cents
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Dunno what country Larken Rose is chained up in, but its a very american-centric viewpoint.

Slavery dissolved slowly in England over 1000 years. From the Magna Carta, through feudal and corvee systems, through vagabond labour, bit by bit England became more and more democratic. It just seemed rapid in the US where it was common place for millennia and then suddenly ended by treaty.

It is quite possible to imagine an ancap-corporation on its own land that allows you to live within its borders for a portion of your income, whose directors are elected by all paid up shareholders, and whose directors can change the portion of income that counts as rent. All of which would be voluntary. So his objections are based in the genesis of the system not the actions or the structure of the system.

Like a Marxist saying all Capital was originally gained immorally hundreds of years ago, so no system can possibly be fair now.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't even a thing nor are capital gains taxes
    Constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care