Thread: Incrementalism: Enemy of Freedom

Incrementalism: Enemy of Freedom

Excellent video by Larken Rose.

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @8:05 - Run away! Is he for real?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Running away is for cowards. Real men stay and vote for their rights
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Ok, I watched the video, but there's a mistake I think he's making. You can do both at once.

In my personal life, I follow the Harry Browne method of I do what I want regardless of what some law tells me to do. I avoid coming into collision with the State whenever possible. In my personal life, I am in no way an incrementalist.

However, that doesn't preclude me from supporting incremental restrictions on government. I support any restriction on the use of government, regardless of how much, as long as it's incremental in the right direction. You can't starve the beast by your own accord - all you can do is stop being the one to feed it. That's what we all should do. But at the same time, there is nothing stopping us from using their mechanisms to limit their reach.

The bigger problem is that most people want the government to have power - they just want the power to be used to their advantage. Which is why both parties grow government.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Always enjoy reading Larken's posts on FB. Good stuff.

Larkin Rose is just wrong on this. Again, we have someone comparing two things that are not similar. Slavery did not come about through incrementalism and for that reason, it can be abolished as fast as it was established which is in a flash. Govt on the other hand can and I believe should be gradually abolished if only to give people who are accustomed to it the chance to adjust.

Just my 2 cents

Dunno what country Larken Rose is chained up in, but its a very american-centric viewpoint.

Slavery dissolved slowly in England over 1000 years. From the Magna Carta, through feudal and corvee systems, through vagabond labour, bit by bit England became more and more democratic. It just seemed rapid in the US where it was common place for millennia and then suddenly ended by treaty.

It is quite possible to imagine an ancap-corporation on its own land that allows you to live within its borders for a portion of your income, whose directors are elected by all paid up shareholders, and whose directors can change the portion of income that counts as rent. All of which would be voluntary. So his objections are based in the genesis of the system not the actions or the structure of the system.

Like a Marxist saying all Capital was originally gained immorally hundreds of years ago, so no system can possibly be fair now.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I agree with him in principle, but one must also bear in mind the real world risks of acting on the normative. Theye may well come after you and if they do, cages, charges, and death or severe maiming may await as well.

It takes a lot of nerve to be a free man in a slaver's world.

Here's another "movement", so once again I bid thee run for the hills before it's too late.

Tet. Remember tet? The offensive? It almost worked.

American Tet. If you could get a critical mass of businesses on board to turn their backs to all federal regulations on a given date, what could the feds so? Likely, nothing much. They could arrest thousands of people and press charges. But if the millions more stood firmly with good courage, the "government" would eventually have to capitulate, unless they were willing to turn the military against their own, which is unlikely to provide fruit because I don't think all of the military would obey such orders.

Make no secret about it. On such and such a date, assuming critical mass, M, has been reached, we shall step away from all compliance for taxation, and so forth. We will not comply because we do not recognize the authority of those calling themselves "government". They have no valid authority over free men, a status we claim and to which we make no exceptions or concessions.

The "government" will be aware of the date, will do its usual thing of issuing dire warnings, and may even pass "emergency" legislation in anticipation of the contingency. That is a good thing. It will mean Theye would be taking us seriously, recognize that Theye do not really have the power to prevail over us, and are attempting to bluff us back into submission. Theye may even kill a few of us, but let us not forget that we are far and away more heavily armed and numerous than are Theye.

Were we to come together in such a fashion, and THAT would be proof of miracles, we could reel in the federal government in no time through simple noncompliance. But that would require true dedication. For example, you could be certain that Theye would send their goons to select high-profile establishments to arrest key individuals pursuant to the agenda of frightening the rest of us back into submission. That would have to be met with non-equivocating force by large bodies of well-armed individuals who would either show up at arrest time in response to calls for aid, or at the federal facilities to which the victims have been abducted. When I say "non-equivocating", I mean just that. The posse would have to be ready and willing to kill federal officials in defense of the rights of free men who had been taken without just cause.

After about a dozen such instances of the American people saying "no!" to tyranny, Theye would obviously alter their tactics. I see no way that they would back down so quickly, though I suppose it is possible. Whatever diabolical alternate tactics Theye might devise, we would have to meet them head-on and devoid of the least compunction to extinguish them from the book of life, if Theire lapdogs do not discover basic sense.

That could become a new reality for decades, large bodies of well-armed citizens on call to respond with whatever force is deemed fitting in order to stop the "state" from terrorizing the good people of this land. Normal operations in the apprehension of murderers and other true criminals would be left unaddressed, the idea here being not so much the destruction of "government", but the appropriate de-balling such that Theye become sorely aware that their tyrannies will not be well tolerated by the free men of this nation. And if we must cull their numbers until they get the message, then so be it.

We, the good and free men of this good land of ours did not bring the fight to Themme. Theye brought it to us in galloping fashion. I believe it is time to stop Themme dead in their tracks, even if literally so.
    Last edited by osan; 10-23-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I agree with him in principle, but one must also bear in mind the real world risks of acting on the normative. Theye may well come after you and if they do, cages, charges, and death or severe maiming may await as well.

It takes a lot of nerve to be a free man in a slaver's world.

Here's another "movement", so once again I bid thee run for the hills before it's too late.

Tet. Remember tet? The offensive? It almost worked.

American Tet. If you could get a critical mass of businesses on board to turn their backs to all federal regulations on a given date, what could the feds so? Likely, nothing much. They could arrest thousands of people and press charges. But if the millions more stood firmly with good courage, the "government" would eventually have to capitulate, unless they were willing to turn the military against their own, which is unlikely to provide fruit because I don't think all of the military would obey such orders.

Make no secret about it. On such and such a date, assuming critical mass, M, has been reached, we shall step away from all compliance for taxation, and so forth. We will not comply because we do not recognize the authority of those calling themselves "government". They have no valid authority over free men, a status we claim and to which we make no exceptions or concessions.

The "government" will be aware of the date, will do its usual thing of issuing dire warnings, and may even pass "emergency" legislation in anticipation of the contingency. That is a good thing. It will mean Theye would be taking us seriously, recognize that Theye do not really have the power to prevail over us, and are attempting to bluff us back into submission. Theye may even kill a few of us, but let us not forget that we are far and away more heavily armed and numerous than are Theye.

Were we to come together in such a fashion, and THAT would be proof of miracles, we could reel in the federal government in no time through simple noncompliance. But that would require true dedication. For example, you could be certain that Theye would send their goons to select high-profile establishments to arrest key individuals pursuant to the agenda of frightening the rest of us back into submission. That would have to be met with non-equivocating force by large bodies of well-armed individuals who would either show up at arrest time in response to calls for aid, or at the federal facilities to which the victims have been abducted. When I say "non-equivocating", I mean just that. The posse would have to be ready and willing to kill federal officials in defense of the rights of free men who had been taken without just cause.

After about a dozen such instances of the American people saying "no!" to tyranny, Theye would obviously alter their tactics. I see no way that they would back down so quickly, though I suppose it is possible. Whatever diabolical alternate tactics Theye might devise, we would have to meet them head-on and devoid of the least compunction to extinguish them from the book of life, if Theire lapdogs do not discover basic sense.

That could become a new reality for decades, large bodies of well-armed citizens on call to respond with whatever force is deemed fitting in order to stop the "state" from terrorizing the good people of this land. Normal operations in the apprehension of murderers and other true criminals would be left unaddressed, the idea here being not so much the destruction of "government", but the appropriate de-balling such that Theye become sorely aware that their tyrannies will not be well tolerated by the free men of this nation. And if we must cull their numbers until they get the message, then so be it.

We, the good and free men of this good land of ours did not bring the fight to Themme. Theye brought it to us in galloping fashion. I believe it is time to stop Themme dead in their tracks, even if literally so.
    They will arrest the organizers before the movement gains any momentum, they passed laws to allow them to do that with the income tax and they would do so for regulations if anyone tried to start such a movement in earnest.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They will arrest the organizers before the movement gains any momentum, they passed laws to allow them to do that with the income tax and they would do so for regulations if anyone tried to start such a movement in earnest.
    If millions of people throw in, Theye are going to have one hell of a difficult time fighting it.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    If millions of people throw in, Theye are going to have one hell of a difficult time fighting it.
    That is why they will crush it while there are only thousands on board.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is why they will crush it while there are only thousands on board.

That would remain to be seen.