Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number Two Senate Republican Doubtful About Passage of USMCA/NAFTA 2.0 Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    President Donald Trump said on Thursday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi does not understand the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal and had told the U.S. trade representative, Robert Lighthizer, she wanted two weeks to get to know the agreement."Pelosi does not understand the bill, she doesn't understand it ... so she's got to get up to snuff, learn the bill," Trump said at a White House event.
    "She's a mess. Look, let's face it, she doesn't understand it," Trump said.
    Pelosi, responding to Trump's remarks, tweeted: "When the 'extremely stable genius' starts acting more presidential, I’ll be happy to work with him on infrastructure, trade and other issues."
    Pelosi was invoking a comment made by Trump earlier on Thursday, when he called himself "an extremely stable genius" as the two engaged in a heated war of words.
    Republicans in Congress are pushing for ratification of the USMCA, which would replace the 25-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement, before lawmakers leave Washington for their August recess. As the House of Representatives speaker, Pelosi, a Democrat, controls when any initial vote could take place.
    Text of the agreement has been published since October 2018, but some Democratic lawmakers have demanded stronger enforcement provisions for USMCA's new labor and environmental standards and it is unclear whether this can be achieved through the USMCA's implementing legislation.

A two-week study period would eat up a dwindling number of legislative days before Congress starts its break on Aug. 3. "I think that's a long time," said Trump, who has been feuding with Democrats over the probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-ho...--finance.html
    https://www.infowars.com/watch/?vide...69df0012eb7531

more: President Trump Says Nancy Pelosi Is Disintegrating Before Our Eyes
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Vice President Mike Pence may have assured Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the Trump administration was "absolutely committed" to passing USMCA this summer, but that was before Robert Lighthizer infuriated Democrats by starting the clock on bringing legislation to ratify the treaty before Congress - and also before President Trump revealed his plans to impose tariffs on Mexican imports.

The chances of USMCA passing were already looking tenuous, as Democrats have appeared reluctant to work with President Trump to facilitate what would be his biggest trade triumph to date. But now that Trump has angered Mexico and Democrats with the new tariffs, chances of USMCA passing have fallen from 'low' to 'nearly zero', according to a team of analysts at Goldman Sachs.

In a note to clients published on Friday, Goldman explained that it believes Trump will move ahead with 5% tariffs on Mexican imports on June 10 - at least that's the bank's base case, even as its analysts concede that Trump never followed through on threats to close the southern border.
    And, assuming the tariffs do take effect, Democrats in the House will likely slow consideration of USMCA - likely missing the 90-day window for consideration triggered by Lighthizer on Thursday - and greatly increasing the chances that the deal won't be ratified until after the 2020 election

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...0-goldman-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The top Mexican official leading negotiations with the U.S. over President Donald Trump’s newly announced tariffs previously compared Trump to Hitler and described him as an “enemy” of Mexico.

Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard arrived at the Mexican embassy on Saturday and is scheduled to meet with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday, Ebrard announced on Twitter.
    Ebrard, a former Mexico City mayor who has served as foreign secretary since December 2018, has been open in his disdain for Trump in the past.

“He, like Hitler, is a good communicator,” Ebrard told The New Yorker in 2016, referring to Trump.

The New Yorker’s article profiled Ebrard’s get-out-the-vote efforts for then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
    “It was after hearing Donald Trump speak that I decided to get much more involved, beyond just giving opinions,” Ebrard told the magazine. “The risk represented by el Señor Trump, the things that he says, in particular about Mexico, but in general, too, are like nothing else I’ve encountered.”
    Roughly a week before the 2016 election, Ebrard called Trump the greatest “enemy” that Mexico has faced in “many years.”
    Trump es el peor enemigo que México haya enfrentado en muchos años. Debemos esforzarnos para frenarlo con votos en E.U.A.
    — Marcelo Ebrard C. (@m_ebrard) October 31, 2016
    Cada voto cuenta, apoyemos a Hillary Clinton. Derrotemos la xenofobia anti mexicana de Trump pic.twitter.com/Qpb314m3Qq
    — Marcelo Ebrard C. (@m_ebrard) October 29, 2016
    Now, Ebrard is in the position of leading negotiations with the Trump administration over the tariffs Trump slapped on his country.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/mexican-off...mexicos-enemy/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s decision on when (and whether) the deal will get a vote depends on talks with the Trump administration to address Democrats’ concerns, according to a senior Democratic aide.“We’re not ready,’’ Representative Debbie Dingell, a Michigan Democrat, said Sunday on Fox News. “The votes in the House are not there yet until these changes take place.’’

During last week’s uncertainty over trade with Mexico, most Democrats publicly separated USMCA deliberations from Trump’s tariff plan, which means that removing the tariff threat doesn’t necessarily clear the way for a new deal to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. Dingell said she wants changes to the agreement’s labor, environmental and enforcement provisions that would satisfy her skeptical colleagues.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-hol...133507650.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mexican labor unions have requested injunctions in Mexican federal court against labor reform tied to the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), El Economista reported June 23. The labor unions, all organized under the umbrella of the Mexican Laborers' Confederation (CTM), argue the labor reform's stipulation that each labor organization adopt direct, secret votes for the election of new leaders harms them.

A lower court ruling temporarily suspending the unions' obligations under the labor reform would send the message that Mexico isn't serious about implementing the requirements of USMCA. In Mexico, such a ruling could cause a snowball effect, in which unions enter a de facto state of noncompliance with USMCA's labor reform. If USMCA were still pending in the United States and a Mexican injunction were awarded to a CTM-sponsored union, House Democrats might see this as a sign that labor rights in Mexico won't significantly improve — making the issue yet another sticking point for USMCA.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...required-usmca

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is both fortunate and unfortunate that House Democrats tend to oppose the deal as presently constituted. This is fortunate as without the votes from a significant number of Democrats, the deal cannot be passed, but it is unfortunate because the changes sought by the Democrats are generally not good.

In other words, if the Trump administration agrees to changes sought by the Democrats, USMCA would be even worse than it is now — and it is bad enough as it is.
    The New Democrat Coalition told U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Monday not to submit USMCA to Congress unless the administration first addresses concerns of the Democrats. The New Democrat Coalition of 103 members told Lighthizer, “We were troubled that you sent up the draft Statement of Administrative Action on May 30 without sufficient consultation, and strongly urge you to not make the same mistake twice.”

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...on-to-congress

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Trump administration is expected to submit the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), a government-managed trade deal, to Congress sometime after September 1, with hopes for ratification by the end of this year. As is usual in Washington’s contentious political climate, differences between what the White House wants and what the Democrat-run House of Representatives wants could complicate that hope, even killing the deal for now.

The Democrats want any trade deal with Mexico and Canada to reflect their desire to impose more government regulations on businesses and attain provisions favoring their goals in the way of environmentalism (CO2 limits), labor unions (making it easier to force unions on workers), and other issues dear to their “progressive” agenda. The deal already has provisions on these issues — USMCA would place all three countries under the control of the International Labor Organization (ILO) by specifically committing them to the ILO’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work and the Declaration on Social Justice for a Fair Globalization.
    The problem for the Democrats is that they contend the USMCA does not go far enough in adopting more government control over private business.
    Another factor in Democrat reluctance to sign off on USMCA has little to do with what is or is not in the deal right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) does not want to give President Trump a major legislative “victory” on the eve of the 2020 presidential election. And Pelosi has used her power as speaker of the house to thwart a Republican president before. In 2007, Pelosi suspended what is known as “fast-track” bargaining authority indefinitely when Republican President George W. Bush had sent a so-called free-trade deal with Colombia to Congress.
    “Fast-track” allows a president to negotiate a trade deal and submit it to Congress for an up-and-down vote. This would appear to violate the Constitution’s provision in Article I, Section 8 that gives Congress, not the president, the authority “to regulate commerce with foreign nations.”
    Bush’s trade deal was never approved during his tenure. Tim Keeler, then chief of staff for then-U.S. Trade Representative Susan Schwab, recalled the struggle over the Colombia trade deal with CNBC. “At the time, no president had sent an FTA [free trade agreement] under fast track rules where a speaker was opposed, so we didn’t know how Speaker Pelosi would react.”
    This history gives some hope to USMCA opponents, as Pelosi was able to stop the deal then. Unfortunately, this history also indicates that Pelosi’s opposition was more to a trade deal of a Republican president, rather than a Democrat president. Five years later, Pelosi supported virtually the same deal when Democrat President Barack Obama renegotiated the deal.
    Pelosi showed similar hypocrisy recently when she (rightly) said that any military action against Iran by President Trump would require congressional approval, but a few years ago, she argued that President Obama did not need congressional approval to take military action against Libya.
    Still, even if Pelosi’s opposition is of impure motives, champions of American national sovereignty should be thankful, if it kills the deal.
    Under the rules of “fast-track,” once the bill is officially sent to Congress to implement USMCA, a “clock” starts ticking. Members of Congress would then have 90 working days after receiving the legislation to hold a vote.
    This should alert patriotic Americans concerned about more of our national sovereignty being surrendered and cause them to contact their members of Congress. Republican members will be under tremendous pressure to go along with a president of their political party.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-by-year-s-end

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On Thursday June 20, 2019, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau traveled to Washington DC for a meeting with Speaker Nancy Pelosi and democrat leadership. After the political ideologues held the meeting, Trudeau and Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland tabled the Canadian ratification on the USMCA trade agreement.

More at: https://theconservativetreehouse.com...p-trade-reset/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Trump raised concerns that Congress may not approve the new North American Free Trade Agreement, now that the House has launched an impeachment inquiry.

“I don’t know if Nancy Pelosi is going to have any time to sign [the USMCA] — that’s the only problem,” said President Trump on Wednesday. He went on to say Pelosi is wasting time with a “manufactured crisis.”

Approving the new deal — known as the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) — before the end of the year has been one of the administration’s top priorities.
    “If it happens, it happens. Otherwise, when we take over the House next year we’ll do it our way,” said Trump.

At a press conference Wednesday afternoon, a reporter asked President Trump if he would end NAFTA if USMCA doesn’t make it through Congress.
    “I don't want to answer that question, but you know how I feel about NAFTA. I think NAFTA is the worst trade deal ever made,” Trump replied. “We’re gonna find out. That’s going to be a very interesting question.”

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...233627048.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm curious about what "...we'll do it our way..." means.

Trump has been threatening to end NAFTA if Congress does not approve NAFTA 2.0 (which is basically the same thing). "Soon" (claim was made last year). We will also be out of Syria "soon" (that was March, 2017).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/2181399002/

President Donald Trump said late Saturday he will formally terminate the North American Free Trade Agreement soon, a move designed to put pressure on Congress to approve a new deal he signed during the G-20 summit.

“I'll be terminating it within a relatively short period of time,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One as he flew back to Washington after a two-day meeting in Argentina with the leaders of other major world economies. “We (will) get rid of NAFTA. It's been a disaster for the United States."
    He also threatened to cancel it in 2017.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-26-2019 at 06:13 PM.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/e...rtly-to-blame/

The new NAFTA is in trouble, and Trump’s chaotic tariffs are partly to blame

The only certainty about the Trump administration’s trade policy is its uncertainty, and that hurts us all.

From the moment he launched his run for president, Donald Trump derided the North American Free Trade Agreement as the "worst trade deal in the history of the world." He vowed to replace it with a version that would protect American jobs and reduce the trade deficit.

Hyperbole aside, NAFTA needed updating to account for the world that didn’t exist when President Bill Clinton signed the bipartisan agreement into law in 1993. However, Trump’s decision to enact steel and aluminum tariffs against Mexico and Canada to arm-twist his way to a deal has tossed trade policy into uncertain territory. Ratification of the United States-Mexico-Canada trade agreement by the U.S. Congress is unlikely unless Trump does away with the tariffs.

Levying tariffs, the nuclear warhead of protectionism, against close trading partners Mexico and Canada in the name of free trade has disrupted supply chains across the continent and invited retaliatory moves against U.S. products that are hurting companies and consumers. In this tit-for-tat exchange, Texas is particularly vulnerable. Texas imports more than $8 billion annually in steel and aluminum products, the most in the nation, and more than the next two states, California and Illinois, combined, according to a Brookings Institution analysis.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump has been threatening to end NAFTA if Congress does not approve NAFTA 2.0 (which is basically the same thing). "Soon" (claim was made last year). We will also be out of Syria "soon" (that was March, 2017).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/2181399002/

He also threatened to cancel it in 2017.
    That's a good thing.
    Trump is bringing uncertainty to the parasites and restoring America's economy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's a good thing.

Trump is bringing uncertainty to the parasites and restoring America's economy.
    The economy is so amazing we need massive interest rate reductions and new Quantitative Easing from the Fed.

Business and economies hate uncertainty. Business does not invest when they are unsure what the future will be like. That slows economic growth.

The economy is so amazing we need massive interest rate reductions and new Quantitative Easing from the Fed.
    The economy was om life support before he was elected, now there are flickers of life in spite of the attempts of the Fed and others to smother it.

Business and economies hate uncertainty. Business does not invest when they are unsure what the future will be like. That slows economic growth.
    The American economy is more certain because of Trump, it is the globalist parasite economy that is feeling the uncertainty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The leader of a U.S. congressional delegation to Mexico said on Tuesday that Mexico must take more concrete steps to implement its labor reform, after a trip aimed at speeding up ratification of the new North American free trade deal.Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has vowed union freedoms, higher wages and other labor rights in his bid to assuage the concerns of U.S. congressional Democrats, who hold the key to ratifying the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).
    But as he concluded his visit to Mexico, Richard E. Neal, who leads the Ways and Means Committee in the United States' lower house of Congress, suggested Democrats were still not satisfied.
    "Our meeting with President Lopez Obrador shed further light on the Mexican government's desire and intentions to carry out its labor justice reform, but the United States needs to see those assurances put into action," Neal said in a statement.
    It was unclear precisely what steps Neal would like to see.

Mexico's Congress has already approved the deal. It also needs ratification from Canadian lawmakers.
    Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard told reporters the next three weeks would be a "decisive phase" for the pact, and that officials would send U.S. lawmakers a document next week detailing the issues discussed on Tuesday, including Mexico's labor reform.

Democrats are seeking better mechanisms in the trade agreement to ensure enforcement of labor and environmental provisions. One measure under consideration is providing aid to Mexico to beef up enforcement of labor rules.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-presid...132559399.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer faced pushback and a “bucket full” of questions Thursday during a closed-door caucus lunch meeting meant to sell Senate Republicans on the new trade deal with Canada and Mexico.

Republican senators stressed that they expect the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) will have the votes to pass the Senate, but acknowledged there was still opposition within the caucus and broader frustration with how the trade negotiations had been handled.
    “There’s some opposition to some pieces of it, as you might imagine,” Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.) told reporters after the lunch.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said the Senate will not take up the trade deal until next year after the chamber finishes an expected impeachment trial for President Trump.
    “From my perspective, it’s not as good as I had hoped," McConnell told reporters during a weekly press conference Tuesday.
    But GOP senators indicated after the Lighthizer meeting that there are concerns about the process for how the trade deal will move through the Senate.
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a top adviser to McConnell, said he did not expect the Senate Finance Committee to have a mock markup of the trade deal, which under previous agreements would allow them to suggest changes that could be worked in to a final proposal.
    “It’s a bad practice and I don’t think the Senate should just quietly agree to be jammed in the process,” Cornyn said, adding that it was a “lousy way to treat the Senate.”
    Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) said he had also heard the Senate Finance Committee would not be holding a mock markup of the trade deal.
    “We have to have an opportunity to weigh in on that,” Toomey said. “This is a problem.”
    Toomey said he raised his concerns with Lighthizer during the lunch and at two separate meetings with Senate Finance Republicans.
    When asked if he spoke directly to Lighthizer about his concerns, Toomey said: "I did. In fact, I raised them at the meeting we had before the lunch and I raised them on the phone call the day before that."

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-on-trade-deal

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just more evidence that the Trump impeachment stuff is a fake orchestrated distraction while they all shred the last remaining vestiges of American sovereignty right under everyone's noses. Trump supports the USMCA and the TPP has, for the most part, been rolled into the USMCA. But keep on watchin' the WWE impeachment production instead...

"Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Mexico's deputy foreign minister, Jesus Seade, said on Saturday he sent a letter to the top U.S. trade official expressing surprise and concern over a labor enforcement provision proposed by a U.S. congressional committee in the new North American trade deal.Top officials from Canada, Mexico and the United States on Tuesday signed a fresh overhaul of a quarter-century-old deal, aiming to improve enforcement of worker rights and hold down prices for biologic drugs by eliminating a patent provision.
    How labor disputes are handled in the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade deal was one of the last sticking points in the negotiations between the three countries to overhaul the agreement.
    Intense negotiations over the past week among U.S. Democrats, the administration of Republican U.S. President Donald Trump, and Mexico produced more stringent rules on labor rights aimed at reducing Mexico's low-wage advantage.
    However, an annex for the implementation of the treaty that was presented on Friday in the U.S. House of Representatives proposes the designation of up to five U.S. experts who would monitor compliance with local labor reform in Mexico.
    "This provision, the result of political decisions by Congress and the Administration in the United States, was not, for obvious reasons, consulted with Mexico," Seade wrote in the letter. "And, of course, we disagree."

The letter, released on Saturday, is dated Friday and addressed to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Seade said he would travel to Washington on Sunday to raise the issues directly with Lighthizer and lawmakers.
    "Unlike the rest of the provisions that are clearly within the internal scope of the United States, the provision referred to does have effects with respect to our country and therefore, should have been consulted," Seade wrote.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-object...215243615.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12