Thread: Swift slashing of Obama-era regulations saves more than 2X Trump's goal, $1.65B

Swift slashing of Obama-era regulations saves more than 2X Trump's goal, $1.65B

The Trump administration, in a frenzy to kill Obama-era regulations and beyond, more than doubled its savings goal and is on a pace to make record cuts to rules the president claims are jobs killers.
    A new report on the year in regulation slashing from American Action Forum said that the administration achieved $1.65 billion in regulatory savings, miles above its goal of $687 million.
    And the administration is just starting on helping President Trump make good a campaign promise to kill regulations and brake the issuance of new ones, said the report.

“Considering there is already more than half a trillion in proposed rule savings to date this year, some of the administration’s most significant measures may be a major part of agencies’ FY 2019 budgets,” said the report from AAF regulatory experts Dan Bosch and Dan Goldbeck.
    What’s more, the administration has started to shift from nixing Obama rules to digging deeper to cut others.
    “The Trump administration easily surpassed its annualized savings goal, with savings more than double the target. By and large, the agencies covered by Executive Order 13,771 adhered closely to its principles, reversing a long trend of escalating regulatory costs. Encouragingly, the administration’s regulatory savings have shifted from delays and withdrawals of Obama-era rules to substantive deregulatory changes,” said their report provided in advance to Secrets.
    The administration's war on regulations, policed by the Office of Management and Budget, has been followed by every agency though nine did not register savings and will be required to develop a plan to do so.

Leading the way, said Bosch and Goldbeck, were Health and Human Services, Interior, Labor, Justice and Transportation. Their regulation slashing accounted for $1.4 billion in annualized savings.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...mps-goal-1-65b
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And then he spent 8x that much in 2018 bailing out US farmers because of his trade wars. Talk about addition by subtraction. If he was really care about the fiscal well being of this country, he would just cut spending period.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    And then he spent 8x that much in 2018 bailing out US farmers because of his trade wars. Talk about addition by subtraction. If he was really care about the fiscal well being of this country, he would just cut spending period.
    Spending is bad and hopefully we can get it cut down but the regulations not only cost the government to enforce but also cost the economy even more.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I love how they save 1 billion and somehow throw in the wording of "more than half a trillion in proposed rule savings to date this year". So they have identified a lot of regulation but have only achieved 0.2% of it but it's an amazing success. Sure it has to start somewhere but that's really stretching to even throw out that number.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I can't wait for trucking to be fully automated. I'm tired of them blocking traffic, passing other trucks in the right lane going 1 mph slower than them. I will see trucks in the left most lane on a 6 lane divided highway on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    I love how they save 1 billion and somehow throw in the wording of "more than half a trillion in proposed rule savings to date this year". So they have identified a lot of regulation but have only achieved 0.2% of it but it's an amazing success. Sure it has to start somewhere but that's really stretching to even throw out that number.
    I would argue that this is the crowning achievement of the Trump administration, so far. The regulatory state was on the opposite trajectory for quite a while - they've really turned the tide. From a libertarian perspective, this is even higher on my list of accomplishments than the Gorsuch appointment. That being said, it's hard to look at these regulatory reductions in a vacuum when this same administration is INCREASING regulations in other places. Namely, central planning of international trade. If you're going to be honest about regulations, you should probably include them all.

Still, I have to give credit where it's due here. No other administration has even come close to addressing the regulatory state on this level.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire