Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Constitutional Reasons Why Kavanaugh Should Not Be On Supreme Court

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Doubt we'll ever get a shot at having a majority,
    It would take quite some time, perhaps multiple lifetimes, I was just pointing out the theoretical purpose of the "saints".

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    and its even less possible with the zero sum mindset. Thats why libertarianism is DEAD, nobody wants to support a movement that shoots down every attempt to grow the tent, as opposed to keeping the tent the exact same size, only to force it's diminishment.

I know this because I am also guilty of this in the past, when I was at my peak GOP activism phase, I (and most other libertarians) went in knowingly ideologically hostile and not actually wanting a majority or working towards it. A lot of people here don't understand that having influence with the GOP is having their respect and the faith that both sides of the view can come together to compromise and support the party. My way or the high way gets no way.
    Nobody wants to work with you if you never work with them and that is doubled if you are the weaker party in the relationship.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Serious question. This is not a dig at Ben Swann, but at the “liberty” movement in general.

Why didn’t Ben Swann release this on July 4th (before Kavanaugh was nominated) instead of Oct 4th? This is a day late and a dollar short as they say.

The liberty movement has always had this problem. The neocons and establishment are way out ahead whenever there is an opening or election. Early on, they are demonizing the opppostion, and pushing their candidates to the front of the line.

“Hey! There’s an opening on the Supreme Court.”

Swamp: “great, here’s a list of 10 people, and we are going to start promoting our favorite 3.”
    Liberty movement: “wow, hope we get someone good.” or “who cares, it won’t make a difference.”

POTUS picks from the only list he has, the swamp list.
    Swamp: “time to put on a fake dog and pony show until the final vote.”
    Liberty movement: “let us look into this pick” or “it’s all a fake show anyway”.

Day before the vote:
    Swamp: “it was the most dramatic race in history, and we are all happy that it was a thorough process.”
    Liberty movement: “hey, this person is bad on some key issues, it’s not the best choice, look at this research!” or “told you so, it’s all fake and hopeless”.
    Ben Swann was MIA from June 1st to August 7th.

His previous sponsor, Dash, dropped him. It took him 2 months to pick up his new sponsor SmartCash.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    "Had we not been forced to deal with the fabricated issues our attention would have been drawn to the fact that Kavanaugh has been neck deep in D.C. politics since graduating from Yale. ... During his time at the White House ... Kavanaugh supported and assisted the effort to pass the Patriot Act. ... he drafted was incorporated in the bill signed by Bush. ... Kavanaugh supported and played a role in warrantless wiretapping, and the establishment of “Fusion Centers”. Kavanaugh clearly supported the surveillance state and that should be much more concerning to all of us than whether or not he got in bar fights “back in the day”. ...

One has to ask themselves why the left did not pursue more valid and dignified criticisms of Kavanaugh than to bring up stories that might or might not have occurred 30 years ago while he was in high school. Is it because the real criticisms might be just a little bit too close to home? Is it possible that those controlling the Democrat agenda did not want to dredge up information about the shady circumstances surrounding Vince Foster’s death? Would the Dems be in a position to criticize his support of the surveillance state when they have been enabling it for decades? Could it be that in this day and age the both left and right are so monolithic that it becomes hard for one to criticize the other for reasons beyond sexual misconduct, fabricated or not. ... "
    Well said by the author of that article.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

It may have been good thing that Kavanaugh went through this Jerry Springer circus crucible of choreographed character assassination.
    I hope it leaves a permanent imprint of unwavering deference to the necessary principles of due process.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

The 50 to 48 vote is the lesser of two evils?

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    The 50 to 48 vote is the lesser of two evils?
    It is a safe choice. I predict Kavanaugh will be voting with majority. He's a team player. Kudos to Trump for picking such a reliable judge.

Jeb Bush might have done the same thing, too. Had he won in 2012 or 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The dems tried and unlike with Roy Moore, it seems like it has backfired on themn.
    Yep. That's because they came forward with three witnesses, one who's story didn't fit what she told her own therapist, the second a woman who's story was so shaky even the New York Times wouldn't run it, and the third a woman who said she went back to parties where she suspected women were being raped 10 times before being raped herself.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Mmm.....are you able to process the fact that both the dems and your chump Trump suck? No....I guess you can't process that.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Mmm.....are you able to process the fact that both the dems and your chump Trump suck? No....I guess you can't process that.
    Complex thinking is difficult for many Trump-humpers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Yep. That's because they came forward with three witnesses, one who's story didn't fit what she told her own therapist, the second a woman who's story was so shaky even the New York Times wouldn't run it, and the third a woman who said she went back to parties where she suspected women were being raped 10 times before being raped herself.
    You do know that both dems and republicans think her story is credible? Just because its some piping hot horse shyte doesnt mean that a woman's baseless accusations wont be believed. The Roy Moore case was also very shaky but that didnt stop them from successfully pulling it.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You do know that both dems and republicans think her story is credible? Just because its some piping hot horse shyte doesnt mean that a woman's baseless accusations wont be believed. The Roy Moore case was also very shaky but that didnt stop them from successfully pulling it.
    Roy Moore shot himself in the foot when he said things like "I have never dated underage girls without their mother's permission." Yeah...as long as he didn't have sex with them it's technically legal...but still odd.

With Dr. Ford the problem isn't just her story, it's that the other women's stories are just bizarre. If the dems had just left it with Dr. Ford they would have gotten more millage out of it. The "I went to rape parties 10 times before I got raped" story is just bizarre. I told that to a friend who is a hardcore democrat and concerned about "rape culture" and even she was taken aback by that story.

The Two Brett Kavanaugh Stories

by: Philip M. Giraldi

There were two simultaneous Brett Kavanaugh stories. Together, as part of the confirmation process regarding his nomination as Supreme Court Justice, they revealed how political discourse in the United States has reached a new low, with debate over the man’s possible predilection to make judgments based on his own preferences rather than the US Constitution being ignored in favor of the politically motivated kabuki theater that was deliberately arranged to avoid that issue and instead go after his character.

Consider first of all, his flaws as a candidate. He was regularly framed as a “conservative,” but what did that mean in the context of his career? Some of the critics are referring to his time spent as a government lawyer, specifically for the George W. Bush Administration, where he was a supporter of wide executive authority in the context of the war against terror while others point to his decisions and writings during his time as a US Circuit judge from 2006 until the present. That meant essentially that Kavanaugh then supported and apparently continues to support what is now referred to as the John Yoo doctrine, named after the Department of Justice lawyer who penned the memo that made the case for the president to act unilaterally to do whatever is required in national security cases even if there be no direct or immediate threat. Yoo specifically argued that the president, by virtue of his office, is not bound by the War Crimes Act. This theory of government, also more broadly dubbed the unitary executive, was popularized by Yoo, fellow government lawyer Jay Bybee and Eric Posner of the University of Chicago.

For those who find Kavanaugh unacceptable in terms of his judicial philosophy, this repudiation of the constitutional principle of three branches of government that check each other was enough to disqualify him from a position on the Supreme Court, principally as it impacts on both the first and second articles of the constitution by granting to the president the authority to both begin and continue a war on his own recognizance. It also means that the president on his own authority can suspend first and fourth amendment rights to freedom of speech and association as well as freedom from illegal search. He supported, for example, the government’s “right” to conduct mass searches of private data such as was conducted by the NSA. Kavanaugh supports government authority to legitimize incarceration without trial and to order assassinations and torture. Kavanaugh is also on record as favoring limiting the public’s right to use the courts to redress government overreach.

But curiously enough, or perhaps not so curiously, Kavanaugh was treated with kid gloves on those critical issues, basically because both major parties are now supportive of the unitary executive concept even if they would not admit that to be the case. Bill Clinton launched cruise missiles attacks on Sudan and Afghanistan on his own authority and involved the US in a war in the Balkans. George W. Bush did the same in approving torture and expanding the war on terror to Iraq and also globally, while Barack Obama attacked both the Syrian and Libyan governments and assassinated US citizens abroad, all acts of war or war crimes carried out without a congressional declaration of war or without any real pushback by the judiciary.

The failure of Congress to carry out its duty to review Kavanaugh’s ability or lack thereof to interpret the constitution impartially was the more important story line in the confirmation process but it was ignored by the media. The other narrative that ran simultaneously, the purely political attempt made by the Democrats and some Republicans to destroy Kavanaugh as a person through the exploitation of random claims of sexual assault dating from more than thirty-five years ago, was an attempt to discredit the candidate that everyone knew right from the beginning could not be substantiated.

This all means that the important issue of Kavanaugh’s likely comportment as a judge was subjected to too little inquiry while his character as evidenced by tales from his past life received far too much attention. Ironically, the media, which has been frantically searching for an explanation for the breakdown of democracy in the United States, has been pillorying the Russians and more recently the Chinese for outside interference in the process, while ignoring the intense public dissatisfaction with the government it has been allowed to have by the Establishment, which is exemplified by the dystopic reality demonstrated by Kavanaugh. Some Americans would have rejected him based on his merits as a judge, but the case was not clearly made. Many instead came to view him as a victim of a vicious personal campaign and that was apparently enough to win confirmation, at least as reckoned by the calculus of those in Congress who cast the actual votes. In either case, the system failed to produce a good result and we only have our polarized and dysfunctional government to blame for that failure.
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...naugh-stories/
    Last edited by charrob; 10-12-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12