Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump orders FBI investigation of Kavanaugh, as McConnell says nomination is 'moving' forward

Trump orders FBI investigation of Kavanaugh, as McConnell says nomination is 'moving' forward

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...inal-vote.html

President Trump on Friday ordered the FBI to conduct a limited "supplemental" background investigation into the allegations of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans are "moving" forward with plans to vote.

“I’ve ordered the FBI to conduct a supplemental investigation to update Judge Kavanaugh’s file," Trump said in a statement. "As the Senate has requested, this update must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week.”

Trump's order came after after several undecided senators whose votes are needed to confirm Kavanaugh called for a weeklong FBI probe before a floor vote.

The Senate had been expected to begin debate on Kavanaugh's nomination this weekend, but after Trump's order, McConnell adjourned the body until Monday. A potential confirmation vote may not come until late next week, next weekend or perhaps the week of Oct. 7.

"This is a nomination that deserves to move forward -- and that is precisely what is happening," McConnell, R-Ky., said on the Senate floor Friday.

Added McConnell, "Now we will keep the process moving."

Earlier Friday, under pressure from Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, the Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee asked for a FBI investigation “limited to current credible allegations against the nominee," saying it "must be completed no later than one week from today.”

Kavanaugh, who has denied all the allegations, said in a statement he will "cooperate."

“Throughout this process, I’ve been interviewed by the FBI, I’ve done a number of 'background' calls directly with the Senate, and yesterday, I answered questions under oath about every topic the senators and their counsel asked me,” Kavanaugh said in a statement. “I’ve done everything they have requested and will continue to cooperate.”

For days, Republicans have resisted calls from Democrats for the FBI to investigate the claims of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh dating back to high school and college, saying they were capable of investigating the allegations themselves.

But that changed Friday after Flake, who earlier in the day announced he would endorse Kavanaugh, called for a delay in a full floor vote to allow for an FBI inquiry “limited in time and scope.”

While backing Kavanaugh at the committee level, Flake said he'd only be comfortable moving ahead on the floor if the FBI investigates further.

Several other senators -- both Republican and Democrat -- on the fence joined Flake in supporting the move.

“I support this sensible agreement,” Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said.

“In order to fully and fairly complete our due diligence, allowing the FBI up to one week to supplement its background investigation is appropriate,” said Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska.

“I support Sen. Flake’s call for a non-partisan FBI investigation into the allegations about Judge Kavanaugh – which I’ve been pressing for,” said Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D.

"I applaud Senator Jeff Flake’s decision to rise above the partisan circus on display during this entire process,” said Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va.
    When asked if they could get the investigation done in a week, a senior FBI official told Fox News, "That depends on the schedules of everyone we'd have to interview, including the accuser, accused and witnesses.”
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Several other senators -- both Republican and Democrat -- on the fence joined Flake in supporting the move.
    There are no Democrats "sitting on the fence."

Trump should probably ask Strozk and Page lead the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Trump should probably ask Strozk and Page lead the investigation.
    I was thinking Mueller, but you're right, they are not busy right now and they would be perfect choices. Did Trump give this order to Sessions, Rosenstein or Wray?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Oh Trump and his fiddle.
    Never been to a funnier hoe-down in my life.
    The way he plays, and they just dance, and dance and dance.
    He knows he has a winner with this one. This is gonna make America see red for a long time.
    And Kavanaugh will be the next SC judge... ..right before election day.
    It's not like he is taking chances.

He plays to that thirst for bloody justice so well.
    How far will he take it? All the way to 1789?
    I suppose beheading aristocrats is against the NAP.
    I suppose I don't care either.
    I really am looking forward to that military parade, 11/11, to be honest.
    The maneuvering of this guy, is quite amazing.
    He is a walking art of war, and art of deal.
    And I believe, if he is willing to Nuke North Korea.
    He is willing to have mass military tribunals for all the traitors that have infested the US government.
    It is unfortunate for the left, that they are being exposed/executed first.
    They can rest assured the counter revolution will occur as well. Trump will probably have died of old age, by then.
    But if I play my cards just right, I might get to be on the death squads for both revolution and counter-revolution.
    Justice is so severely needed.
    And for that reason, I am deeply afraid he was not, and never has been willing to nuke north korea.

BTW Dr. Ford is deeply connected to the CIA.

The left, rejected a martyr-hero religion, only to push themselves into wanting to out-martyr their now hated original martyr religion. Out- jesus and out-love the hated stupid fairytale duped christians.

It is one of those unexpected first world diseases, like obesity is. Humanity is always full of surprises.

So they are pushing themselves further and further to right where they want to go.
    They want to be martyred. Oh yes, their personal lives are so boring, (a symptom of following trends and not your center) they are so wrapped up in hate, and their social media image, tragedy is the most dramatic way to feel. So righteous, so callously destroyed.
    Like a beautiful, open minded, caring understanding and mindful of other peoples cultures American woman being forced to submit to some mideastern islamic brute. Shivers.

So Kavenaugh one drunken night just pushed a woman he was drinking with against a wall, and started giving her a tonsil examination with his tongue? Sounds like somebody was about to get lucky.

That female suicide rate is going to start skyrocketing. Feminism will claim it is because of patriarchal oppression. In reality it will be because they latched on to a life of pleasing others. Even the desire to out-martyr the Christians, was all done out of caring about what the people they thought were duped stupid thought. Furthermore, it will be because of patriarchal genuflecting. Men will be unable to be men.

That is dupe stupiderer than even dupe stupid, which is pretty stupid.
    Last edited by UWDude; 09-28-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I want to change my vote from "NO" to "YES" because over the past 24 hours
    Jeff Flake got POTUS Trump to inflict the FBI for one week on most of the folks
    around Brett Kavanaugh, upon realizing nobody had ever dug deep, despite his
    being right next to the good folks around the "W" after 911. This is a first, I feel.
    Four Republicans have less of an excuse to flip in terms of Majority Leader Mitch.

I voted "NO" in the poll. Right now, Jeff Flake worked out a compromise.
    The Democrats would have preferred a 2 to 4 week FBI investigation...

Emotionally, since the poll asked if he'd get
    on our highest court, not IF he is the most
    capable person to be in the position, my heart
    thinks he is an idiot but my brain says that
    Mitch McConnell has bulldozered him thru it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I was thinking Mueller, but you're right, they are not busy right now and they would be perfect choices. Did Trump give this order to Sessions, Rosenstein or Wray?
    Why not have all of the above expedite this. Sessions, Rosenstein, Wray, Strozk and Page.
    Why not have FBI people who were close to Clinton, Bush & Obama hit the pavement like
    as if J.Edgar Hoover had just resurrected up from his final resting place. Question 200 to
    1000 people, sent in the older, veteran agents who remember the Reaganite 1980s in full.

Then, after a really big and final report on the whole bloody mess is done, praise
    them all for their service and send them out the door by requesting they all resign.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    This is gonna make America see red for a long time.
    Reminded of LBJ for some reason.

How many beers have you had tonight, Judge?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Filing a FOIA request on the FBI "Sluts of Bethesda, MD" report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Trump have a yuge problem with the FBI and even fire their Director recently? Now he trusts them to do an investigation into his SCOTUS nominee? It's so confusing trying to remember when I'm supposed to trust the FBI and when I'm not! /s

I'm sure this FBI report will drop some new bombshell that starts the drama all over again for the floor vote.
    Last edited by devil21; 09-29-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Trump have a yuge problem with the FBI and even fire their Director recently? Now he trusts them to do an investigation into his SCOTUS nominee? It's so confusing trying to remember when I'm supposed to trust the FBI and when I'm not! /s

I'm sure this FBI report will drop some new bombshell that starts the drama all over again for the floor vote.
    It will probably depend upon how many never-Trump, resist agents are on the case.

The FBI will find nothing and then the Democrats will claim the investigation wasn't long enough to find the truth, that nothing can be figured out in a week (other than Hillary's innocence after the Weiner computer discovery, of course).
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

The Democrat strategy is starting to reveal itself. They will spend a week saying this person and that person and this angle needs to be investigated by the FBI, and when one of their “demands” is not met, they will call it an incomplete investigation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This whole thing is tiresome. Why did Trump order an investigation? What's his strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by homahr View Post
    This whole thing is tiresome. Why did Trump order an investigation? What's his strategy?
    His advisors' strategy is to prevent the Dems from credibly claiming that the GOP doesn't care about sexual assault.

This was probably the best move for the GOP under the circumstances, though they'll still take a bit of a hit come election time, IMO.

The Democrat strategy is starting to reveal itself. They will spend a week saying this person and that person and this angle needs to be investigated by the FBI, and when one of their “demands” is not met, they will call it an incomplete investigation.
    However, it was a Republican that initiated the idea in the first place.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

After all of the Democrats trapped him in a side room and pressured him.

Rino?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Why not have all of the above expedite this. Sessions, Rosenstein, Wray, Strozk and Page.
    Why not have FBI people who were close to Clinton, Bush & Obama hit the pavement like
    as if J.Edgar Hoover had just resurrected up from his final resting place. Question 200 to
    1000 people, sent in the older, veteran agents who remember the Reaganite 1980s in full.
    "Red scare."

Pussy. He identifies as a pussy.

Had poor JEFF FLAKE voted "NO" on Friday, the vote
    on the Senate Floor never would have happened.
    His week delay indeed gives the moderates in the GOP
    an excuse to vote along with good ole Senator Mitch.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Had poor JEFF FLAKE voted "NO" on Friday, the vote
    on the Senate Floor never would have happened.
    His week delay indeed gives the moderates in the GOP
    an excuse to vote along with good ole Senator Mitch.
    But, it exposes the true moderates. Every Dem will vote no. Regardless of the investigation. Republicans, for the most part, are $#@!ing pussies. Why? Because most Americans, as portrayed by media and Hollywood, are pussies and they seek relevance. They still can't grock the concept of the silent majority. Even after all pools prove false.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Flake's not running for re-election and his term is almost over. Not sure what pressuring him would accomplish. He's not fighting for his job. He volunteered this.

Flake's not running for re-election and his term is almost over. Not sure what pressuring him would accomplish. He's not fighting for his job. He volunteered this.
    Because he is a flake and a NeverTrumper, he wants to please the media and the leftists for personal reasons and he wants to throw monkey-wrenches into the Trump administration.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Because he is a flake and a NeverTrumper, he wants to please the media and the leftists for personal reasons and he wants to throw monkey-wrenches into the Trump administration.
    So Trump's response is to do exactly what Flake suggested? Did you forget the thread you were posting in or do you have to put out so many fires on Trump threads that the thread topic doesn't even matter anymore?

Someone else commented that Trump's wounds are almost entirely self-inflicted, even though he complains about them all. Add another one to the pile then.

So Trump's response is to do exactly what Flake suggested? Did you forget the thread you were posting in or do you have to put out so many fires on Trump threads that the thread topic doesn't even matter anymore?

Someone else commented that Trump's wounds are almost entirely self-inflicted, even though he complains about them all. Add another one to the pile then.
    Trump wants to put him in a position where he is embarrassed if he doesn't vote for Kavanaugh since embarrassment is a key motivator with Flake, in order to do that you let him have his FBI investigation and then when nothing is found he has to vote yes, if Trump refused Flake would use it as an excuse to vote no and several other moderates would likely follow suit and Kavanaugh wouldn't pass, obviously the moderates and flakes made it clear they were willing to vote no and that is why Ford was given some of her demands and the hearing took place even though she blew the deadline to agree.

Your grasp of politics is truly pitiful.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-30-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I am of two minds on this.

For one thing, even the FBI says such an investigation is not in their bailiwick. Therefore, the lefties as represented redundantly by the Democrats is unreasonable, idiotic, not in keeping with operational propriety, and thereby the granting of which sets a potentially VERY dangerous precedent.

On the other hand, given the corner into which Trump has been painted, it would seem a slick move in leaving the Democrats nowhere to go in the sense that he is clearly bending over backward to give them that for which they are pitching foot-stamping tantrums.

The bit that bothers me most is that Trump nominated Kavanaugh in the first place. I have little doubt he may be a decent human being, but his record on the 4A seems dismal enough that I do not want him on the bench. And here is yet another anecdotal point that leads me to wonder what Trump is REALLY about. Why was Kavanaugh his first choice when he could have nominated Amy Barrett, who appears to my limited vision to be a pretty strict constructionist?

That said, I am wondering whether the Democrats are nailing the lid shut on their own coffins, as out of nowhere not one, but three women come out of the vapors to accuse the man of being a rapist. For one thing, dragging out the "rape culture" card is IMO a huge mistake in terms of credibility. It's not been explicitly mentioned that I can tell, but the innuendo is thick to the point "rape culture" need not be stated in so many words.

Then there are the apparent connections to the hard "left" by this lying Ford "woman"... Soros, and so forth. Nothing to see there, right?

Now it appears to be coming out that she is not only a boozer, but was a bit of a tramp at the time in question. Act a certain way, get regarded a certain way. This is basic human reality at work. Lefties can howl about "slut shaming" all they want; it's not going to change the minds of those who would judge the woman's credibility, given the totality of the circumstance under which she chose to come publicly forward. I would also point out that in my day teen parties were pretty wild. Those of half a generation later were even wilder, so I can fully believe that Ford behaved in full-slut fashion, which is not to condemn her on that basis, whore that she apparently is ( ), but to point out that if you're going to play rough, you cannot claim babe-in-the-woods status after the fact and expect to be taken as credible.

I remember a situation like this from high school in Freehold NJ. Robin R, with whom I myself had had some "contact" - a nominally "nice" girl - got in over her head at another party we'd all attended, and then cried and hoomered about it later on. She wanted to play, but didn't want the consequences that might come after playing. The implication there was bordering on rape, and even at 17 I was smart enough to know it was bull$#@!, particularly in light of the knowledge of where my own hands had at times been in relation to certain bodily structures on that particular young girl. Few things are so despicable as one who bellies up to play, gets more than that for which they bargained, and then cries about it. Utterly revolting to behold.

Then there's the nonsense about Kavanaugh "exposing" himself. For one thing, what were the circumstances under which it was done, if we assume it ever was? One miss Hollis E. dared me to whip it out one evening in her kitchen in the dorms. $#@! happens and it is completely innocent where there is not force - especially on conditions of dares and the similar. Once again, playing the game, not liking the result and retreating into victimhood is every bit as despicable as child molesting. I have no respect for such people. Get in over your head, cowboy the hell up, be glad you didn't sustain lifelong injury, and be an adult about it. This sissy $#@! is for lesser humans. WAY lesser.

And isn't the hypocrisy of these people not to be believed? Consider how they go on and on with their support of all manner of behavior including that of gross sexual deviance and even criminality on the one hand, with what basically boils down to "anything goes" - but what can one expect from people who celebrate the murder of late-term fetuses? But when it is good and convenient, they attempt to wax all priggish and puritanical, simultaneously cheering on the woman who places herself in a position and condemning the man in the same circumstance, once again positing the innuendo that men are rapists no matter what and that women are victims regardless of the specifics.

This element of American political relations is deeply sick.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast