Thread: Can you believe the CDC? They say 80,000 died from flu 2017

Can you believe the CDC? They say 80,000 died from flu 2017

I have questioned CDC numbers regarding opioid overdose. Today I hear that 80,000 people in US died from flu last year. This is on every channel. The Surgeon General is all over the airwaves stating what a shame people are dying from preventable disease. I looked up how many people got sick from flu in that time and found this statistic.

How many people were hospitalized from flu during the 2017-2018 season?
    From October 1, 2017 through April 28, 2018, 30,453 laboratory-confirmed influenza-related hospitalizations were reported through the Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network (FluSurv-NET), which covers approximately 9% of the U.S. population. People 65 years and older accounted for approximately 58% of reported influenza-associated hospitalizations. Overall hospitalization rates (all ages) during 2017-2018 were the highest ever recorded in this surveillance system, breaking the previously recorded high recorded during 2014-2015; a high severity H3N2-predominant season when CDC estimates that hospitalizations captured through FluSurv-NET translated into a total of 710,000 flu hospitalizations that seasons. (For more information on these estimates, see CDC’s Disease Burden of Influenza page.) Estimates on the total number of flu-related hospitalizations during 2017-2018 will be available in fall 2018.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2017-2018.htm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like man made climate change, deaths from smoking, drunk driving statistics and political polling, it's all based on projections and computer guided estimates.

In other words a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess).

You die of a heart attack, and it's noted in your medical records that you smoked thirty years ago, it's put down as a death attributable to smoking.

You get T-Boned by some guy running a red light, and the autopsy reveals you had alcohol in your system, it's a death attributable to drunk driving, even though you were not the cause, had nothing to do with it and the guilty party was stone cold sober.

Same thing here.

They look at a baseline of cases, assume that "X" number are not reported, add those numbers together and then assume that "Y" number die from all cases, and boom, 80,000.

They also inflate the numbers to scare people (especially the elderly) to get a flu shot this year.
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

Every single year we are made afraid by some massive flu outbreak, to all get a flu shot...

Jon Rappoport has reported that the annual scare reports on a “massive flu outbreak” are scaremongering lies.
    It’s just another media hype to make us get poisoned with flu vaccines. Health authorities even admit this year’s flu vaccine is only 10% effective.

Dr. Peter Doshi wrote that only 16% of respiratory samples taken from “flu patients” in the US show the presence of a flu virus. In other words: 84% of the reported cases don’t have the flu.
    Therefore the vaccine couldn’t possibly work in 84% of the reported “flu” cases
    In 2005, Doshi reported that of the “influenza and pneumonia” deaths that took 62,034 lives in 2001 — in only 18 cases was the flu virus positively identified.

In 2009, Sharyl Attkisson reported “that almost none of the cases they had counted as Swine Flu was, in fact, Swine Flu or any sort of flu at all”: https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...x-the-scandal/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/7QXc5)
    Do NOT ever read my posts.
    Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...he-world/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Every single year we are made afraid by some massive flu outbreak, to all get a flu shot...

Jon Rappoport has reported that the annual scare reports on a “massive flu outbreak” are scaremongering lies.
    It’s just another media hype to make us get poisoned with flu vaccines. Health authorities even admit this year’s flu vaccine is only 10% effective.

Dr. Peter Doshi wrote that only 16% of respiratory samples taken from “flu patients” in the US show the presence of a flu virus. In other words: 84% of the reported cases don’t have the flu.
    Therefore the vaccine couldn’t possibly work in 84% of the reported “flu” cases
    In 2005, Doshi reported that of the “influenza and pneumonia” deaths that took 62,034 lives in 2001 — in only 18 cases was the flu virus positively identified.

In 2009, Sharyl Attkisson reported “that almost none of the cases they had counted as Swine Flu was, in fact, Swine Flu or any sort of flu at all”: https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...x-the-scandal/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/7QXc5)
    I am okay with scaremongering that is in the form of a prediction. This is going to be the worst flu season ever.... What I don't think is good is for an entity like the CDC which ultimately has major influence on our lives and the Surgeon General falsifying facts about what has already happened.

The entire opioid crisis is based on CDC numbers. I don't think the CDC can be trusted to provide accurate data.

I believe it about as much as California saying the #1 way that guns kill people is by causing cancer.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Like man made climate change, deaths from smoking, drunk driving statistics and political polling, it's all based on projections and computer guided estimates.
    If they're keeping records only in 9% of the hospitals, and they have 30,000 people confirmed deaths, then an estimate of 80,000 seems low to me.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

In other words a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess).

You die of a heart attack, and it's noted in your medical records that you smoked thirty years ago, it's put down as a death attributable to smoking.

You get T-Boned by some guy running a red light, and the autopsy reveals you had alcohol in your system, it's a death attributable to drunk driving, even though you were not the cause, had nothing to do with it and the guilty party was stone cold sober.

Same thing here.

They look at a baseline of cases, assume that "X" number are not reported, add those numbers together and then assume that "Y" number die from all cases, and boom, 80,000.
    True...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If they're keeping records only in 9% of the hospitals, and they have 30,000 people confirmed deaths, then an estimate of 80,000 seems low to me.
    True...

Did they say precisely where and when?

Smart people will stay away from places like hospitals if possible. If you go to visit someone in the hospital try really hard to keep your hands of of common areas. Use your shoulder or hip to open all push open type doors wash your hand before and after using the rest room and use a paper towel to open the restroom door then dispose of it asap.
    Stay away form people who are sick and wash your hands often when at work and out in public never touch a public door with your hands push open doors with hip or shoulder and keep some paper towels with you so if there is a door that has a knob. Doors are the worst spreaders of disease in the public. Teach your children to keep their hands off of doors in public.

I have never had a flu shot and I don't think I ever will have one. I don't get sick very often, I do everything I can to stay well and I seriously doubt I would ever go to the hospital under my own volition or a doctor for that matter.

I don't trust the CDC or the FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Smart people will stay away from places like hospitals if possible. If you go to visit someone in the hospital try really hard to keep your hands of of common areas. Use your shoulder or hip to open all push open type doors wash your hand before and after using the rest room and use a paper towel to open the restroom door then dispose of it asap.
    Stay away form people who are sick and wash your hands often when at work and out in public never touch a public door with your hands push open doors with hip or shoulder and keep some paper towels with you so if there is a door that has a knob. Doors are the worst spreaders of disease in the public. Teach your children to keep their hands off of doors in public.

I have never had a flu shot and I don't think I ever will have one. I don't get sick very often, I do everything I can to stay well and I seriously doubt I would ever go to the hospital under my own volition or a doctor for that matter.

I don't trust the CDC or the FDA.
    They have installed motion detector switches in the rest room doors at the VA I noticed. Just wave your hand over them and the door flings open.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    True...

Did they say precisely where and when?
    I didn't dig into the numbers. The CDC could not be any clearer that they are estimating, and I am not math savvy enough to dig into their methodology. (This is where we miss our resident statistician!) But since last year's flu shot was reported to be one of the least effective ever, it makes sense that more people would get sick. That's how it works in reality.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Record number of hospitalizations so record number of deaths is certainly possible. From the OP:

Overall hospitalization rates (all ages) during 2017-2018 were the highest ever recorded in this surveillance system, breaking the previously recorded high recorded during 2014-2015; a high severity H3N2-predominant season when CDC estimates that hospitalizations captured through FluSurv-NET translated into a total of 710,000 flu hospitalizations that seasons.
    (710,000 hospitalizations were for 2014- 2015 season and this year's were even higher). 80,000 would be about one in ten of those who were hospitalized.

How they get to their numbers: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/diseas...ted_deaths.htm

What are seasonal influenza-related deaths?

Seasonal influenza-related deaths are deaths that occur in people for whom seasonal influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death.

Does CDC know the exact number of people who die from seasonal flu each year?

CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this. First, states are not required to report individual seasonal flu cases or deaths of people older than 18 years of age to CDC. Second, seasonal influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications. Third, many seasonal flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as bacterial pneumonia) or because seasonal influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Also, most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples. Sensitive influenza tests are only likely to detect influenza if performed within a week after onset of illness. In addition, some commonly used tests to diagnose influenza in clinical settings are not highly sensitive and can provide false negative results (i.e. they misdiagnose flu illness as not being flu.) For these reasons, many flu-related deaths may not be recorded on death certificates. These are some of the reasons that CDC and other public health agencies in the United States and other countries use statistical models to estimate the annual number of seasonal flu-related deaths.
    What categories does CDC use to estimate flu-associated deaths?

CDC uses two categories of underlying cause of death information listed on death certificates: pneumonia and influenza (P&I) causes and respiratory and circulatory (R&C) causes. CDC uses statistical models with records from these two categories to make estimates of influenza-associated mortality. CDC uses underlying R&C deaths (which include P&I deaths) as the primary outcome in its mortality modeling because R&C deaths provide an estimate of deaths that include secondary respiratory or cardiac complications that can follow influenza. R&C causes of death are more sensitive to describe flu-related deaths than underlying P&I deaths and more specific than deaths from all causes.
    More at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-30-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.