Thread: Tiger Woods caps comeback by winning Tour Championship

Tiger Woods caps comeback by winning Tour Championship

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/...our-win-5-year

He used to dominate the sport. Then injuries from hitting the ball so darned hard accumulated. Several back and neck surgeries and a few years later he seems to be getting back into form. I saw him play at Torrey Pines in 2015 where I took this photo of him in the fog- his future was also unclear:

Tiger Woods caps comeback by winning Tour Championship

ATLANTA - Tiger Woods cruised to his 80th PGA Tour victory on Sunday, capping a historic comeback from career-threatening back injuries with a safe, workmanlike performance that has been the hallmark of his career.

Woods birdied the first hole at East Lake Golf Club, then never let anyone get closer than two shots - with two holes to go -- as he captured the Tour Championship, his first victory in more than five years.

He parred the last hole to shoot 1-over-par 70 and beat Billy Horschel by two strokes.

Woods now trails Sam Snead, who won 82 times, for the most victories in PGA Tour history.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have always been in the camp that Tiger would was still capable of winning multiple majors. So this isn't remotely a surprise to me.

As far as the injuries those were mostly on Tiger and his poor decisions. Navy Seal training caused his knee injury. The back problems aren't from swinging hard. There are guys who hit the ball longer. Jack was longer when you adjust for equipment. He never had the injuries. Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson are much longer than Tiger and don't have the problems. Tiger caused his problems by continuously changing his swing and contorting into unnatural motions. And I suspect the amount or kind of weight training he did also contributed.

Fake news.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Tiger Woods Injuries: https://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/co...woods-injuries

December 1994: Surgery on left knee to remove two benign tumors and scar tissue.

Dec. 13, 2002: Surgery on left knee to remove fluid inside and outside the ACL and remove benign cysts from his left knee. Misses the season opener in 2003.

August 2007: Ruptures the ACL in his left knee while running on a golf course after the British Open, but is able to keep playing. Wins five of the last six tournaments he plays, including the PGA Championship for his 13th major.

April 15, 2008: Two days after the Masters, has arthroscopic surgery on his left knee to repair cartilage damage.

May 2008: Advised weeks before the U.S. Open that he has two stress fractures of the left tibia and should rest for six weeks, the first three weeks on crutches.

June 24, 2008: Eight days after winning the U.S. Open, has surgery to repair the ACL in his left knee by using a tendon from his right thigh. Additional cartilage damage is repaired. Misses the rest of the season and does not return until the Match Play Championship at the end of February 2009.

December 2008: Injured his Achilles tendon in his right leg as he was running while preparing to return to golf.

Nov. 27, 2009; Hospitalized overnight with a sore neck and a cut lip that required five stitches when the SUV he was driving ran over a fire hydrant and into a tree.

May 9, 2010: Withdrew from the final round of The Players Championship, citing a bulging disk. He later said it was a neck issue that caused tingling in his right side, and that it first became a problem as he began practicing harder for his return to the Masters a month earlier.

April 10, 2011: Injures his left Achilles tendon hitting from an awkward stance below Eisenhower's Tree on the 17th at Augusta National. Withdraws from the Wells Fargo Championship.

May 12, 2011: Withdraws from The Players Championship after a 42 on the front nine. Diagnosed with an MCL sprain in his left knee and in his left Achilles tendon. He misses the next two months, including two majors, returning at the Bridgestone Invitational.

March 11, 2012: Feels tightness in his left Achilles tendon and withdraws after 11 holes of the final round in the Cadillac Championship at Doral. He wins in his next start at Bay Hill, his first PGA Tour victory since the scandal in his personal life.

Aug. 24, 2012: Moves stiffly during the second round of The Barclays and later says he felt pain in his lower back, which he attributed to a soft mattress in his hotel room.

June 13, 2013: Is seen shaking his left arm during the opening round of the U.S. Open. He later says it's a left elbow strain that he injured while winning The Players Championship a month earlier. He misses two tournaments and returns at the British Open.

Aug. 11, 2013: Said he felt tightness in his back during the final round of the PGA Championship.

Aug. 21, 2013: Two weeks after the PGA Championship, he only chips and putts on the back nine of the pro-am at The Barclays, complaining of a stiff neck and back that he attributed to a soft bed in the hotel. By Sunday at The Barclays, he dropped to his knees after one shot because of back spasms.

March 2, 2014: Withdraws after 13 holes of the final round at The Honda Classic because of lower back pain and spams, describing it as similar to what he felt at The Barclays.

March 9, 2014: Plays the final 12 holes with pain in his lower back, saying it began to flare up after hitting out of the bunker from an awkward lie in the Cadillac Championship at Doral. He shoots 78, the highest score of his career in a final round.

March 19, 2014: Withdraws from the Arnold Palmer Invitational because of the persistent pain in his back. He was the two-time defending champion.

March 31, 2014: Has surgery in Utah for a pinched nerve.

April 1, 2014: Announced he will miss the Masters and not return to golf until the summer.

Sept. 18, 2015: Underwent a second micro-discectomy surgery two days earlier to remove a disc fragment that was pinching his nerve.

October 2015: Woods has a procedure to "relieve discomfort" in his back and sets no timetable for his return to the PGA Tour.

April 20, 2017: Woods undergoes a fourth back surgery. The spinal fusion, labeled "a success" was to alleviate pain he had been experiencing in his back and leg.

He's within three wins of beating Sam Snead's old lifetime record.

I found yesterday's tournament riveting. I was clapping for him from my sofa when he made the final putt. He might not be a perfect human being, but the dude has grit. It was fun seeing thousands of people following this legendary golfer as he continues to make history.

There's a cool article on golfchannel.com where he texted his caddy to ask him what he needed to work on. His caddy said his bunker play. Cool to see that Tiger asks questions like that, even at his level, and has a good team.

C'mon Ryder Cup and 2019 major championships...!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Hes like a whining little baby
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by buck000 View Post
    I found yesterday's tournament riveting. I was clapping for him from my sofa when he made the final putt. He might not be a perfect human being, but the dude has grit. It was fun seeing thousands of people following this legendary golfer as he continues to make history.

There's a cool article on golfchannel.com where he texted his caddy to ask him what he needed to work on. His caddy said his bunker play. Cool to see that Tiger asks questions like that, even at his level, and has a good team.

C'mon Ryder Cup and 2019 major championships...!
    Golf needs Tiger Woods. When he isn't playing, attendance drops off and far fewer watch it on TV. Most people can probably only name a couple of golfers- him and Phil Michelson. They are happy to have him back!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The curse has been lifted.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Congrats Eldrick Woods.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    The curse has been lifted.
    true...dat.