Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code

'Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code

Rochester, N.Y., resident Herbert Smith wasn’t aware of the controversy he was about to create when he was moved to post a photo of a local bar’s dress code to his Facebook page. But since he took to social media to share the long list of items that can’t be worn inside the Murphy’s Law Irish Pub in his neighborhood, some people are calling out the bar for enforcing a “racist” dress code.

While making plans with a friend to meet up at a nearby bar, Smith received a picture of the questionable dress code posted in the front window of Murphy’s Law. He tells Yahoo Lifestyle that “it immediately struck a chord.” Although he wasn’t entirely sure what to think about it, he decided to call attention to it.

“I post a lot of stuff on Facebook, so I thought a few of my friends would chime in,” he says. “But what happened next I was not expecting.”

Rochester, N.Y., resident Herbert Smith wasn’t aware of the controversy he was about to create when he was moved to post a photo of a local bar’s dress code to his Facebook page. But since he took to social media to share the long list of items that can’t be worn inside the Murphy’s Law Irish Pub in his neighborhood, some people are calling out the bar for enforcing a “racist” dress code.

While making plans with a friend to meet up at a nearby bar, Smith received a picture of the questionable dress code posted in the front window of Murphy’s Law. He tells Yahoo Lifestyle that “it immediately struck a chord.” Although he wasn’t entirely sure what to think about it, he decided to call attention to it.

“I post a lot of stuff on Facebook, so I thought a few of my friends would chime in,” he says. “But what happened next I was not expecting.”

Nearly 200 comments later, Smith now realizes he wasn’t alone in his feelings about the restrictions against items such as straight-brim caps, hoodies, bandanas, white tees, and Timberland work boots. Multiple commenters said the list was a clear example of “prejudice.”

“Code for no black people,” one person wrote. “Racist. Hands-down,” said another.

Some defended the dress code, saying its possible the bar just wanted patrons “to show up in more classy attire.”

“Not that hard can get a whole outfit that looks good at Macy’s for like $80,” one commenter wrote.

But even those who don’t think these restrictions stem directly from racism are quick to point out that there have been issues with how the pub’s rules are enforced.

“My problem isn’t the dress code. It’s the fact that Murphy’s Law only enforces the dress code for people of color,” someone pointed out. “I tried to go there a few years back and they denied me entrance because of my outfit but there was a group of white people that had on similar outfits like the one I had on.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/code...163147601.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kiss my ass, Herb.

It's their business, they have the right to set any code of dress, or exclude anybody, on their "platform" that they want.

Right?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-23-2018 at 12:42 AM.

In this current environment, where the slightest comment against a whole slew of protected classes, regardless of those remarks being real or imagined or actually insulting, is enough to ruin you life, destroy your career and reputation, put you in physical harm's way and possibly land you in jail, I'd be more than happy to patronize a "safe space" pub, where woemen and colored people were not allowed.

But it was just fine when some places refused service to MAGA hats?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I'd drink there...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Nice selective quoting there but you do know what a doo rag is right? and what the function is?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know what a dew rag is , but I do not see anything else on the list that is not as associated or more so with white people . Looks like asians are getting a pass from this potential IRA collection site . Personally I could care less , I am not intending to be in an irish bar after dark in NYC in my retirement . The bars I go to do not care about my ripped jeans , camo , hooded and zippered sweatshirts or a bandana . If I were going to someplace with a more formal setting , late in the evening I would not be wearing work clothes or any of that .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Nice selective quoting there but you do know what a doo rag is right? and what the function is?
    Keeps white bald guys from getting a sunburn. Next ?
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

A higher proportion of black people might dress like slobs but having a rule against slobs in your establishment isn't racist. Dress well. Speak well. Don't be loud and obnoxious. You will be welcome in 99.999% of places in the United States. Looking like a hood rat isn't a cultural difference that people just have to accept. It is a bad part of black culture that should be changed.

I had to look up "straight-brim cap". When did they start calling baseball hats "straight brim caps"? WTF?

Also, I see the dress code is only enforced after 8 pm on Fridays and Saturdays, so I guess they're only racist 2 days a week, after 8.

It appears this dress code is enforced on Friday and Saturday nights. This rather clearly is about keeping trash out of the establishment with a goal toward catering to a classier clientele. Were the owner racially profiling, the restriction would be imposed during all hours.

Where I live, white people are as likely to dress as described as black people, and generally speaking people who dress that way are trash, regardless of what color they are.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Clearly racist...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    It appears this dress code is enforced on Friday and Saturday nights. This rather clearly is about keeping trash out of the establishment with a goal toward catering to a classier clientele. Were the owner racially profiling, the restriction would be imposed during all hours.

Where I live, white people are as likely to dress as described as black people, and generally speaking people who dress that way are trash, regardless of what color they are.
    I don't think it is racist per say, I think most of the items restricted when tend to be generally worn by tacky people. My main objection is the way he debunked the opposition i.e. by selectively picking out the part of the dress code that had no racial element to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I had to look up "straight-brim cap". When did they start calling baseball hats "straight brim caps"? WTF?
    This is a baseball cap:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLB-Cotton-Embroidery-Letter-W-Baseball-Cap-Snapback-Caps-Bone-casquette-Hat-Distressed-Wearing-.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	6126

This is a "straight brim cap" (and the usual suspects who wear them):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim_tizzy.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	6127
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only difference between a straight-brim cap and a ball cap is the brim is left straight, instead of being curved. You can make a straight-brim into a "ball cap" very easily.

I don't think it is racist per say, I think most of the items restricted when tend to be generally worn by tacky people. My main objection is the way he debunked the opposition i.e. by selectively picking out the part of the dress code that had no racial element to it.
    Im not here frequently enough to know the character of every member, but I took his post to be pointing out the absurdity of hanging a 'racist' tag on the proprietor, rather than to be intentionally obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    The only difference between a straight-brim cap and a ball cap is the brim is left straight, instead of being curved. You can make a straight-brim into a "ball cap" very easily.
    They're basically the same thing, but I do believe that the 'straight-brim' hats are made slightly differently - the brim is wider and would probably look odd if one tried to 'bow' it, like traditional ball caps.

I'm with Jefferson when it comes to matters of style, to an extent... I think there is something slovenly and unkempt about the latest trends. But that would be true of most fashion trends since probably the '50's... and truth be told, people who came before even that period would say the same about the style of that time.

That's stupid. EVEN PREDOMINANTLY BLACK CLUBS HAVE THOSE SAME DRESS CODES. It's not to discourage black people, it's to discourage GANG MEMBERS AND VIOLENCE.

There's an agenda underway to "integrate" black folks into historically white establishments, mainly because black-centric establishments are being demolished in cities to make way for Agenda 21 developments.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Im not here frequently enough to know the character of every member, but I took his post to be pointing out the absurdity of hanging a 'racist' tag on the proprietor, rather than to be intentionally obtuse.
    If it's in the news, it's meant to socially engineer. The big tool for that is to label everything 'racist' that doesn't conform to the engineering goal.
    Last edited by devil21; 09-23-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post

Actually he picked out the parts that that have strong racial elements to them - items worn by tacky white dressers.
    That's kind of the point of it. The bulk of the dress code (camo, ripped jeans, white t-shirts, baseball caps, sleeveless shirts, timberlands) disproportionately affects tacky white dressers. The complainer seems to be selectively tunnel visioning in on a couple of items like hoodies and do-rags that complainer believes target only tacky black dressers.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 09-23-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Actually he picked out the parts that that have strong racial elements to them - items worn by tacky white people.
    I'll have you know that tacky white people don't wear sleeveless shirts, they wear wife beaters. There is a clear difference.

Wouldn't it ALL have to have a racial element to be racist? If I were to attack everybody and some of them happen to be black, am I a racist for doing so?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's interesting that they have it scheduled. Apparently you can wear whatever you want before 8 PM and on most days of the week. It must be an area prone to gang activity. It's racist if you don't like gangs.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

A doo rag is what white boy wannabe Rastas wear.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Actually he picked out the parts that that have strong racial elements to them - items worn by tacky white dressers.
    That's kind of the point of it. The bulk of the dress code (camo, ripped jeans, white t-shirts, baseball caps, sleeveless shirts, timberlands) disproportionately affects tacky white dressers. The complainer seems to be selectively tunnel visioning in on a couple of items like hoodies and do-rags that complainer believes target only tacky black dressers.

There are a few overlaps but there is no denying that there are more items almost specific to black hip hoppers than any other group. Again, still not saying it was racist just that there is a overt racial leaning to it. Now, it would be a totally different case if it also included a lederhosen in it

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    It's interesting that they have it scheduled. Apparently you can wear whatever you want before 8 PM and on most days of the week. It must be an area prone to gang activity. It's racist if you don't like gangs.
    should've made a rule on his post saying no racists then they couldn't call him racist
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

There are a few overlaps but there is no denying that there are more items almost specific to black hip hoppers than any other group.
    I'm cool with bars that refuse entry to "black hip hoppers" or any other segment of society.

$#@! hip hoppers what ever color they are.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'm cool with bars that refuse entry to "black hip hoppers" or any other segment of society.

$#@! hip hoppers what ever color they are.
    I actually dont have a problem with the dress code, my issue is with the selective quoting the poster used when trying to counter their point. The dance club I go to now has a dress code that prohibits any hats at all.

We all know what kind of clientele they are trying to attract and the vibe they want in the club and everybody is OK with it including a good portion of black patrons who still show up every weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast