Thread: The Rise and Fall of Kent Sorenson, Tea Party "Hero"

The Rise and Fall of Kent Sorenson, Tea Party "Hero"

Politico story on former Iowa state legislator Kent Sorenson, who had to serve time in a nasty federal pen while the three stooges who tried to bribe him, Tate, Benton and Kesari, got off easy.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...rything-220522

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fascinating read, really shows the dark side of politics. It's so tragic how it all messed up his family so much, the insight into prison was interesting too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Took me almost an hour to read that, but it was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

The best part? How he could trust the prison inmates not to steal his stuff but his fellow legislators would jack his stuff constantly.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

The best part? How he could trust the prison inmates not to steal his stuff but his fellow legislators would jack his stuff constantly.
    The best part is how to $#@! up your career for less than 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    Politico story on former Iowa state legislator Kent Sorenson, who had to serve time in a nasty federal pen while the three stooges who tried to bribe him, Tate, Benton and Kesari, got off easy.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...rything-220522
    Quite a story. That’s really pushing the modern limited attention span to it’s limits.

Sounds like his next career is going to be in prison reform.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

Almost as good as the revelations that a good portion of campaign staff and PACs are all about making money.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Almost as good as the revelations that a good portion of campaign staff and PACs are all about making money.
    Yeah that's a bit of sour grapes on his part. It takes money to operate, especially if you have long term plans that outlast a campaign.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The main point Sorenson was trying to make (and myself as well all these years) while yes you need money to operate long term, there has to be a larger goal (you know, like, electing Ron Paul) than making a killing off email lists. Because it became clear to Sorenson (as he says in the article) and others that the top brass in the campaign didn't think the candidate (or candidates like him) had much of a chance of winning but they sure were good to make money off of. Didn't Penny basically say the same thing?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    The main point Sorenson was trying to make (and myself as well all these years) while yes you need money to operate long term, there has to be a larger goal (you know, like, electing Ron Paul) than making a killing off email lists. Because it became clear to Sorenson (as he says in the article) and others that the top brass in the campaign didn't think the candidate (or candidates like him) had much of a chance of winning but they sure were good to make money off of. Didn't Penny basically say the same thing?
    And that's the trouble. There are some people in liberty organizations and campaigns that are in it for the right reasons. I do think a lot of the ones who get a bad rap actually want the liberty movement to succeed, but no matter what anyone says, there are leaches out there. And there are people who take more than they give, and there are people who are only in it for the money. I don't mind if an organization has paid staff, and I don't mind if they fight the good fight even if they think they will lose. But they should be honest about it all. This is why we need honest people at the top, I believe Ron and Rand are honest, but some of the people they have trusted to run things have fallen way short. We should do better, that's all.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-25-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe