Thread: Amazon To Open 3,000 Cashierless Convenience Stores By 2021

Amazon To Open 3,000 Cashierless Convenience Stores By 2021

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ce-stores-2021

Retail workers who are pushing for higher wages better take notice: Amazon is preparing to put their bosses out of business.

Roughly nine months after opening its first Amazon Go store in Seattle, Amazon announced on Wednesday that it is planning a massive expansion of the franchise. The company has been notoriously tight-lipped about Amazon Go since it first started offering tours of its prototype Seattle location to select journalists back in 2017. After opening its third cashierless Amazon Go location in Chicago earlier this year, and is planning to open six more locations by the end of this year, before eventually scaling up to 3,000 locations by the end of 2021. If Amazon succeeds, Go will become the largest convenience store chain in the US, per Bloomberg.

So far, most of the extant Amazon Go locations offer only a small selection comprising mostly salads, sandwiches and snacks.

An Amazon spokeswoman declined to comment. The company unveiled its first cashierless store near its headquarters in Seattle in 2016 and has since announced two additional sites in Seattle and one in Chicago. Two of the new stores offer only a limited selection of salads, sandwiches and snacks, showing that Amazon is experimenting with the concept simply as a meal-on-the-run option. Two other stores, including the original AmazonGo, also have a small selection of groceries, making it more akin to a convenience store.

But as the company ramps up the logistical back-bone necessary to support the chain, it ultimately hopes to conquer the fast-casual market in dense urban areas where wealthy professionals who might be willing to spend a little more on a salad or a sandwich typically proliferate. Ultimately, the company hopes to compete by eliminate meal-time congestion with its grab-and-go automation. The initial market reaction to the news was muted, though shareholders probably aren't thrilled about the massive capital investment that will eat away at operating profits.

Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos sees eliminating meal-time logjams in busy cities as the best way for Amazon to reinvent the brick-and-mortar shopping experience, where most spending still occurs. But he’s still experimenting with the best format: a convenience store that sells fresh prepared foods as well as a limited grocery selection similar to 7-Eleven franchises, or a place to simply pick up a quick bite to eat for people in a rush, similar to the U.K.-based chain Pret a Manger, one of the people said.

Shoppers use a smartphone app to enter the store. Once they scan their phones at a turnstile, they can grab what they want from a range of salads, sandwiches, drinks and snacks -- and then walk out without stopping at a cash register. Sensors and computer-vision technology detect what shoppers take and bills them automatically, eliminating checkout lines.

As much as working at a 7-11 sucks, can you imagine a world where once you get screwed at a Convenience Store, there is ZERO recourse? Zero refunds? No one to voice valid complaints to? AI can not do everything. Amazon is not seeking a foothold in the market, Amazon is seeking to BECOME the ENTIRE market.

There is NO Free Market here either. Free Market should be the correction mechanism necessary, but lets face it, we do NOT have a Free Market any longer.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, the drama.

10 years ago people like you wer doing the exact same hand-wringing over WalMart because they were going to push all other retailers out of business. And 50 years before that, A&P was so sucessful the newspapers were full of editorials predicting they would soon put all other retailers out of business.

We get it. You think AMazon should be forced to hire people they don't need, and pay them more money than they're worth. Is that about it?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    10 years ago people like you wer doing the exact same hand-wringing over WalMart because they were going to push all other retailers out of business.
    Good thing that didn't happen, and Circuit City, KB Toys, Sam Goody, Radio Shack, Hastings, ALCO, Ben Franklin, Robinsons-May, Ames, Younkers, Filene's, Borders, and 10,000+ non-chain stores are still in business. Oh wait.

Well, at least we can count on Sears, K-mart, JC Penney, Foot Locker, Payless Shoe Source... Oh wait.

If you're not doing any "hand-wringing", you should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Good thing that didn't happen, and Circuit City, KB Toys, Sam Goody, Radio Shack, Hastings, ALCO, Ben Franklin, Robinsons-May, Ames, Younkers, Filene's, Borders, and 10,000+ non-chain stores are still in business. Oh wait.

Well, at least we can count on Sears, K-mart, JC Penney, Foot Locker, Payless Shoe Source... Oh wait.

If you're not doing any "hand-wringing", you should be.
    Why do I care? Even though all those places are gone, I now have access to far more merchandise than I ever did before.

Why do I care? Even though all those places are gone, I now have access to far more merchandise than I ever did before.
    Unless you work in the PR department you shouldn't be making public comments about your employer.

You probably don't care. But you should.

Your tax dollars are funding Amazon and WalMart. The CIA is paying Amazon billions ever year. By driving out the little guy, they destroy local economies.

No matter what you do for a living, you probably have friends and family who need to work for a living. If you have children, what will they do when they get their first jobs in an economy which has no retail positions available? If you have friends, certainly some of them have been impacted by the retail collapse. Please note that this isn't a "free market solution": the retail playing field isn't level when select companies get massive subsidies.

Sure, your family and friends will have "access to far more merchandise than they ever had before", but they won't be able to spend money they don't have, if they don't have jobs.

The idea that taxpayers should be supporting two retailers which have had decades of documented case studies showing they destroy local businesses, while you say you don't care because you'll have "more access" to $#@! to buy is stunningly short-sighted. I'd expect a more intelligent reply from an individual who is shrewd enough to understand the BS claims of anti-vaxxers.

I go to my local super market and typically have to self checkout unless I want to wait in the very few human lines. This is not going to be much different than how most of us have been trained to checkout.

Besides, I would assume thousands of local stores may actually be part of Amazon's plan for drone deliveries, those drones have to be reloaded somewhere unless they get the drone flying blimp warehouses actually working.

The days of small mom and pop retail shops are basically gone. Box stores have killed most smaller retail. Small towns or very specific niche markets may keep those stores but the giants have been killing competition for decades. Before it was only the box stores that seemed to hurt the most, if any Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Walmart, etc opened within 10 miles the corresponding small hardware, office supply, grocery would get hurt. Now even the chain mid size stores are starting to hurt.

There are now more Dollar Generals in American than McDonalds. That fact blew my mind. They are opening 1 or 2 new ones a day, in smaller and smaller towns everywhere. One opened in my small bump in the highway and the grocery store closed. Many main streets are rather empty in my neck of the woods.

Free markets, adapt or die. Although we all know this is more corporatism than free markets.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    You probably don't care. But you should.
    I'd expect a more intelligent reply from an individual who is shrewd enough to understand the BS claims of anti-vaxxers.
    I'd happily end welfare and the minimum wage too. But for the record, I own a small retail shop. You'll not hear me whining about some right to survive.

Sure, your family and friends will have "access to far more merchandise than they ever had before", but they won't be able to spend money they don't have, if they don't have jobs.
    Broken windows. The idea that business should operate at less than peak efficiency I'll never get.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice new tech, it will take some job roles, no doubt, can't be helped with the way innovations takes off. Capitalist system. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    Nice new tech, it will take some job roles, no doubt, can't be helped with the way innovations takes off. Capitalist system. LOL
    The free market will adapt if allowed to run its course.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

No it won't. Pound land has used self service where I live in the Uk for almost two years now. I remember 99p store four years back, before it was Pound land, it had cash register aisles like any supermarket, there won't be a need for three or four staff members at super markets. Nobody could of imagined that thirty years back.

No it won't. Pound land has used self service where I live in the Uk for almost two years now. I remember 99p store four years back, before it was Pound land, it had cash register aisles like any supermarket, there won't be a need for three or four staff members at super markets. Nobody could of imagined that thirty years back.
    That means nothing, nothing you said means the free market won't adapt and the UK and doesn't have a very free market.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No, nothing will change, the retail sector will be the business to change the most due to the computer checkouts and not forgetting computer phones. Therefore those employees can't count on a job for life in that sector.

No, nothing will change, the retail sector will be the business to change the most due to the computer checkouts and not forgetting computer phones. Therefore those employees can't count on a job for life in that sector.
    Your comprehension of the ways the free market may adapt is too limited.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Just how will it work out? In my country, the retail sector is changing rapidly.

Just how will it work out? In my country, the retail sector is changing rapidly.
    I don't know exactly and neither does anyone else, that is why central planning doesn't work.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Monopoly is going to monopoly. Neither party seems to have a stomach to break up monopolies. Trump tweeted about the Amazon being a monopoly back in June but hopefully will hear move after November.