Thread: FEMA soon will test 'presidential alert' system for national emergencies

FEMA soon will test 'presidential alert' system for national emergencies

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1317788002/

This could be abused for political means. During his re-election bid, George W. Bush would release vague terror alerts whenever his poll numbers started to drop. After the election, the alerts oddly ended.

President Donald Trump may soon communicate with you via your cellphone.

On Thursday, the Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) will conduct a test of the national system that allows "presidential alerts" to hit the majority of cellphones. The goal is to warn residents of national emergencies, such as dangerous weather.

The warning system "provides the president with the communications capability to address the nation during a national emergency," FEMA said in a notice posted on its website.

The test is scheduled to occur at 2:18 p.m. ET Thursday.

Some cellphone users will receive a message with a header that reads "Presidential Alert." The text then will say: "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."

But not everyone is on board with the notion of presidential notifications.

"I don't want this," actress Alyssa Milano tweeted Saturday. "How do we opt out, @fema?"

Seems like Milano is out of luck.

Under federal law, users can opt out of the alerts for "imminent threats" and AMBER alerts about abducted children but "not for presidential messages," FEMA warns.

Thursday will mark the first national test of the so-called "wireless emergency alerts." Congress authorized the public safety alert system in 2008. It began operating in 2012 and has been used regionally.

The agency, already grappling with the effects of Tropical Storm Florence, could delay the test of the alert system to Oct. 3 if there's a major weather disruption, but FEMA said Saturday that Thursday's test was still on.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let me guess... The new "presidential alert system" allows DJT to tweet
    on it about the upcoming series of hurricanes before they really arrive?

If DJT really cared, he would ping our phones whenever another one of these quality threads were posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Phones will be ringing today.

Coming up in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Mine is turned off.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

-rep

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Mine is turned off.
    I take the battery out so nobody knows where I am . i view it as a tool . I use it if I want to call someone. thats it .
    Do something Danke

Not mine . I talked to the Home Depot service desk lady earlier though . I have something I need to pick up there but it is about 20 miles out of the way so I intend to con the Mrs into doing it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I take the battery out so nobody knows where I am . i view it as a tool . I use it if I want to call someone. thats it .
    Most people probably don't know how to turn their phone off.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

It was delayed:

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    FEMA announced recently that it would be conducting a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA). Both were initially scheduled to take place on September 20th, but FEMA said today that the WEA test has been postponed until October 3rd. The delay is due to severe weather stemming from Hurricane Florence and ongoing response efforts.

More at: https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/17/...cy-alert-test/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Thank you for the updated information.

I figured it got delayed when I got no notification on my phone.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Question Fake Donald alerts, Russian hacking

How do we know that the alerts are not really from Vlad?
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Finally. I've been waiting with baited breath!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It didn't ring, it just made an annoying sound and wouldn't stop till I pressed "OK."

I got one today. Trump is testing it. Preparing for civil unrest upon the arrest of Hillary and Podesta? Bushes will flee the country.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    I got one today. Trump is testing it. Preparing for civil unrest upon the arrest of Hillary and Podesta? Bushes will flee the country.
    You mean... last year's arrest of Hillary and Podesta? Isn't that one of the founding pillars of the Qult?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    You mean... last year's arrest of Hillary and Podesta? Isn't that one of the founding pillars of the Qult?
    Being half facetious. Maybe not. If they arrested Hillary Antifa would start assassinating senators.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    Being half facetious. Maybe not. If they arrested Hillary Antifa would start assassinating senators.
    Yeah, there were huge riots in November of 2017 after Hillary was arrested. Don't you remember?

Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Called my sister on her birthday,, and forgot to turn it off.

Got the message (for what it was worth)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom