Thread: Trump isn’t ‘unpredictable.’ He’s doing everything he said he would

Trump isn’t ‘unpredictable.’ He’s doing everything he said he would

https://business.financialpost.com/o...-said-he-would

There has never been a more predictable, more steadfast or more constant president than Donald J. Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump’s critics — these days led by Anonymous, author of a New York Times op-ed and Bob Woodward, author of a new Trump book — accuse him of being an “erratic,” “unpredictable leader” who inhabits “an alternate universe” that will destroy the economy, end the Western alliance and start World War III.

What planet do these critics inhabit? There has never been a more predictable, more steadfast or more constant president than Donald J. Trump. In public policy, he is the gold standard in staying the course.

In trade, Trump said he’d get out of TPP, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and he did. He said he’d re-negotiate NAFTA and he’s doing it. He said he’d impose tariffs on any country that didn’t agree to his terms and he has.

In the economy Trump said he’d cut taxes and he did, in spades — with the first major tax reform bill in 30 years. He said he’d lower the unemployment rate and it’s now down to levels not seen in decades, while reaching historic lows for minorities. He said he’d bring back manufacturing plants and they’re coming back — and without the “magic wand” former president Barack Obama mockingly said he’d need.

He said he’d achieve four-per-cent economic growth and in the last quarter it reached 4.2 per cent. He said he’d cut red tape and he has — 860 regulatory actions have been scrapped or shelved since he became president, making him the biggest deregulator of all time.
    In foreign policy Trump said he’d rebuild the military and he’s doing it through a massive funding bill he got through Congress. He said he’d recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and he has. He said he’d demolish ISIS and he’s doing it. He said he’d tear up the Iran nuclear deal and he did. He said he’d quit the Paris climate accord and he has.

In domestic policy Trump said he’d appoint conservative judges to the Supreme Court and lower courts and he has, setting records for his number of appointments in the process. He said he’d approve the Keystone XL pipeline and he did. He said he’d repeal and replace Obamacare and he’s been doing it, step by step. He said he’d repeal Net Neutrality and he did. He said he’d work to get the black vote and he has — the latest Rasmussen poll shows him with 36-per-cent approval among likely black voters, compared to the eight per cent who voted for him in 2016.

--snip--
    Trump’s critics mistake his tactics, which are short-term and subject to change, for his strategy — getting to the long-term deals that he’s after. He’ll threaten a country with tariffs, then zig with an offer to negotiate, then zag by threatening it with doubled tariffs, all with the ultimate end in mind. Or he’ll publicly browbeat his military allies, threatening to end treaties, and using trade relations as leverage, to convince them to contribute more to their own defence, and to the common defence of the free world. These tactics may be diplomatic no-nos, but they succeeded, and in short order, in contrast to the decades of failure endured by Trump’s White House predecessors. If it’s unpresidential to keep America safe and return it to prosperity, America can use more unpresidents.
    more at link...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yah.....I guess the only thing that is unpredictable is his disposition, but based on actually moving forward on issues he ran on, I do think he's fairly consistent compared to the other buffoons we've had. He's is definitely the more consistent buffoon.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

He said he would grow the military and he did
    He said he would release the redacted 9/11 papers and he did not
    He said he would release the JFK papers as it was scheduled to be released and he did not
    He said he would cut the debt and so far he has increased it

And that is even without mentioning anything about foreign policy.

Also, during the campaign, u would catch him taking both sides on many issues so depending on how selective one is, u can say that he is very a predictable president.
    Last edited by juleswin; 09-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Also, during the campaign, u would catch taking both sides on many issues so depending on how selective one is, u can say that he is very predictable.
    Well..there ya go. Make enough contradictory promises and your bound to keep at least half of them.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Well..there ya go. Make enough contradictory promises and your bound to keep at least half of them.
    But here we are with an article stating how predictable he is as a president. Strange times

But here we are with an article stating how predictable he is as a president. Strange times
    I predict Trump will, after getting re-elected, betray his base more than he already has and they will love him all the more for it. Would you bet against me on that prediction?

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Hillary is not in prison.
    The swamp is still full.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

I predict Trump will, after getting re-elected, betray his base more than he already has and they will love him all the more for it. Would you bet against me on that prediction?
    Trump support will be as strong as long as they believe Trump is fighting the race war which most of his more honest supporter would tell you they believe is going on. In addition to that, as long as the SJW and the liberal actors continues to be agitated by every silly drama relayed with Trump, these supporters will not go away.

The most genius thing about Trump is that he knows how to play the dog whistle that keeps his dog supporters in line. For example, u see this silly article written by some so called insider. Trump doesn't try to deny this obvious fake, instead he acts as if the article and the leaker is real and this helps solidify the idea that he is being undermined by the deep state. The typical Trump supporter sees this and he/she is even more devoted to him because they would not abandon him to the deep state.

He will virtually none of his voter from the white nationalist, nativity crowd, those guys are his ride or die voters. The problem for him come 2020 is who will the democrats nominate to face him. If its someone like Obama who will inspire the base with sweet lies, then he is in trouble. If its someone like Clinton then he will sail through and win a 2nd term.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds pretty realistic .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Hillary is not in prison.
    The swamp is still full.
    At least we know how deep the rabbit hole is.

That wall and $1 trillion infrastructure programs are sailing along. Obamacare has been repealed. Corruption in Washington has been eliminated. Troops home from Syria, Afghanistan, and Iraq while bombing the crud out of ISIS.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-15-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Everything?

"As an example of the power structure I'm fighting, AT&T is buying Time Warner and thus CNN, a deal we will not approve in my administration because it's too much concentration of power in the hands of too few," Trump said during a speech on Saturday.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

The problem for him come 2020 is who will the democrats nominate to face him. If its someone like Obama who will inspire the base with sweet lies, then he is in trouble.
    Ok, Nostradamus.

Trump like his predecessors are currently protecting Al Qaeda in Syria. America first? Maybe next week.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Trump like his predecessors are currently protecting Al Qaeda in Syria. America first? Maybe next week.
    That fulfils his promise of supporting Israel 1000%.

That fulfils his promise of supporting Israel 1000%.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Give me liberty or give me safe borders. That is the question for our generation

Give me liberty or give me safe borders. That is the question for our generation
    The same forces to protect you from foreigners can also be used to limit your liberty.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...ation-problem/

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s recent speech on immigration really missed the point. I understand Trump’s frustration over the US government’s inability to control the US borders and keep out those who would come to this country illegally. Trump was right that the media ignore legitimate questions we have on our immigration policy and he is right that special interests have a great interest in maintaining the status quo.

However when it comes to really solving the immigration problem he gets it all wrong. And instead of making us more free and prosperous, his solutions will accelerate our downward slide toward authoritarianism.

First let’s consider his idea of building a big wall between the US and Mexico. It is said that all one needs to get over an eight foot fence is a nine foot ladder. Or perhaps a shovel. So walls are never very good at keeping people out. But they are very good at keeping people in. Just ask the East Germans. The communist government claimed in 1961 that it had to build a wall around the portion of Berlin it controlled to keep the population safe from the evil capitalist wreckers and saboteurs. It didn’t take long for the world to realize that the real threat to the East German leaders was that the people trapped in East Berlin would try to get out. We have all seen the horrific videos of East German civilians risking – and losing – their lives to escape that prison of razor wire and cinder block.

Is this really what we want for our own future?

What a wild conspiracy theory, some may claim. The wall would never be meant to keep us from leaving. Well ask the IRS. Under a tax enforcement provision passed in 2015, the US government claimed the right to cancel any American citizen’s passport if Washington claims it is owed money.

Trump also made E-Verify the center of his immigration speech. He said, “We will ensure that E-Verify is used to the fullest extent possible under existing law, and we will work with Congress to strengthen and expand its use across the country.”

While preventing those here illegally from being able to gain employment may appeal to many who would like to protect American jobs, E-Verify is the worst possible solution. It is a police state non-solution, as it would require the rest of us legal American citizens to carry a biometric national ID card connected to a government database to prove that the government allows us to work. A false positive would result in financial disaster for millions of American families, as one would be forced to fight a faceless government bureaucracy to correct the mistake. Want to put TSA in charge of deciding if you are eligible to work?

The battle against illegal immigration is a ploy to gain more control over our lives. We are supposed to be terrified of the hoards of Mexicans streaming into our country and thus grant the government new authority over the rest of us. But in fact a Pew study found that between 2009 and 2014 there was a net loss of 140,000 Mexican immigrants from the United States. Yes, this is a government “solution” in search of a real problem.
    Fear sells.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.

And you have an answer to this problem?

Isn't it the opposite? Give me liberty or give me open borders?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The problem is Juleswin claims to supports both.

Because having a constitution free zone is the way to insure liberty right?

Yep. Look at the freedom.

This libertarian border patrol refusnik just hates freedom.

I meant to say closed borders. Thanks for the correction.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump support will be as strong as long as they believe Trump is fighting the race war which most of his more honest supporter would tell you they believe is going on. In addition to that, as long as the SJW and the liberal actors continues to be agitated by every silly drama relayed with Trump, these supporters will not go away.

The most genius thing about Trump is that he knows how to play the dog whistle that keeps his dog supporters in line. For example, u see this silly article written by some so called insider. Trump doesn't try to deny this obvious fake, instead he acts as if the article and the leaker is real and this helps solidify the idea that he is being undermined by the deep state. The typical Trump supporter sees this and he/she is even more devoted to him because they would not abandon him to the deep state.

He will virtually none of his voter from the white nationalist, nativity crowd, those guys are his ride or die voters. The problem for him come 2020 is who will the democrats nominate to face him. If its someone like Obama who will inspire the base with sweet lies, then he is in trouble. If its someone like Clinton then he will sail through and win a 2nd term.
    Hillary dug such a hole for democrats by attacking U.S. workers, especially coal miners, that I don't see how any democrat can walk that back in the sort term.

Really it will come down to the economy. The swing voters who voted Trump over Hillary largely did it for economic reasons. The left just doesn't get it. Trump is taking a huge gamble on tariffs. If U.S. farmers start going bust, which may happen due to China retaliatory tariffs, he will be in trouble. Otherwise I think he's unbeatable. The best thing that could happen for him would be for dems to gain the house and do something stupid like try to impeach him. A failed impeachment helped Bill Clinton get elected. But I'm predicting the electorate and economy now as opposed to what Trump will do and that's a much more dicey proposition.

I meant to say closed borders. Thanks for the correction.
    This wasn't a correction. I think your promotion was a bit premature. I would rather see Zippy promoted based solely on seniority.

Really it will come down to the economy. The swing voters who voted Trump over Hillary largely did it for economic reasons. The left just doesn't get it.

This is where you are wrong. It is all based on Trump's dog whistle to the most extreme, violent and xenophobic members of the society - the deplorables. Ask juleswin or any other knucklehead.

We can have both.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Because having a constitution free zone is the way to insure liberty right?

Yep. Look at the freedom.

This libertarian border patrol refusnik just hates freedom.

You can have secure borders without a "Constitution Free" zone.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment