Thread: Millions of elderly Americans are hooked on Xanax

Thumbs down Millions of elderly Americans are hooked on Xanax

Millions of elderly Americans are hooked on Xanax: One in four older adults prescribed drugs for sleep issues and depression become addicted, study warns

By MARY KEKATOS HEALTH REPORTER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 11:01 EDT, 10 September 2018

Millions of elderly Americans are becoming highly addicted to anti-anxiety medicines that treat depression, anxiety and sleep issues, a new study had warned.

Figures compiled by the University of Michigan show that one in four older patients who are prescribed the class of drugs known as benzodiazepines never stop using them.

Of the close to 50 million US adults aged 65 or older, about nine percent are prescribed benzos such as Xanax and Valium - more than any other age group - and the rate of use only increases with age.

These drugs are being increasingly scrutinized as drivers of America's addiction epidemic, alongside opioids, as more and more Americans struggle to get off them.

But the Michigan team warn no attention is being paid - by the general public and doctors - to the hardest-hit group: the elderly, who may be reluctant to experiment with less powerful forms of treatment.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-addicted.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And of course, this study will be used to restrict what adults can consume.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I would be more concerned about people going psycho because they were prescribed these mind-altering drugs and didn't take them right. Then you are going to see more chaos and more crack downs.

People need to be educated about these mind-altering drugs. Especially when doctors are handing them out like candy. Trick or Treat?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    And of course take away their 2nd amendment rights.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    And of course take away their 2nd amendment rights.
    That seems to be the plan the liberals have been pushing. If you look at the school / mass shootings and realize how many of these people were on mind-altering drugs it is truly alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That seems to be the plan the liberals have been pushing. If you look at the school / mass shootings and realize how many of these people were on mind-altering drugs it is truly alarming.
    Including weed...

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

Including weed...
    If you mean by people smoking plain ole weed doing these things, I would disagree. Of course, that is not discounting the weed was laced with something, then I would agree.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, not what I meant at all. I just meant that smoking weed was, in my state PA, a reason to revoke a CC. Hey, who cares about the pills or perscription drugs... smoke some weed and you’re illegal... take your rights away toots sweet!

Oops, edited to add I am smoking some weed while replying to this post... thank God i’m In Fl not PA

Edited again... to add... I see we’re both Nov 2007 members, cool yep, stoned...

Moving away from the keyboard
    Last edited by sam1952; 09-11-2018 at 11:13 PM.

This is an important issue which continues to fly under the radar. My (now) elderly aunt has been prescribed Xanax for thirty years. How is that ethical or in any way healthy?

And yet, doctors continue to pass out Xanax like it's candy.

Why was she prescribed Xanax?

Why was she prescribed Xanax?
    Sleeplessness. But that was in 1988 (roughly). The death of her husband, a few years ago, escalated the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Sleeplessness. But that was in 1988 (roughly). The death of her husband, a few years ago, escalated the situation.
    That’s 30 years. Wonder how much if any they upped her dosages. I have a friend who was on a low dosage for sleep. Took her awhile but finally got off of them.

Honestly some of those drugs have a place for short term anxiety in situations such as a loss of a spouse. But tricky to monitor. And some people have a tendency to abuse them too. Guess same can be said for alcohol AND marijuana.

There are certainly natural alternatives that people can take to help without the terrible side effects.

https://draxe.com/natural-sleep-aids/

That’s 30 years. Wonder how much if any they upped her dosages. I have a friend who was on a low dosage for sleep. Took her awhile but finally got off of them.
    Glad your friend was able to get off of them. My aunt just can't get out of that cycle.

Honestly some of those drugs have a place for short term anxiety in situations such as a loss of a spouse. But tricky to monitor. And some people have a tendency to abuse them too. Guess same can be said for alcohol AND marijuana.
    Yeah, in her case, it just became a crutch. Now, decades later, it's a part of the nightly routine. Xanax is a part of who she is.

But what I don't understand is why a doctor would prescribe a drug like this for someone, for three decades.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Glad your friend was able to get off of them. My aunt just can't get out of that cycle.

Yeah, in her case, it just became a crutch. Now, decades later, it's a part of the nightly routine. Xanax is a part of who she is.

But what I don't understand is why a doctor would prescribe a drug like this for someone, for three decades.
    You are right. It begs the question why at some point didn’t the doctor start to wean her off? Even if the patient resisted I would like to think the doctor would address it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I cannot speak to xanax.. but mother's little helper - has it's place. Somewhere about 2nd year of college - after mid terms, with a couple cocktails before going out to dance, in cowboy boots, on the tables at the local biker bar, is just around the right place.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    If you mean by people smoking plain ole weed doing these things, I would disagree. Of course, that is not discounting the weed was laced with something, then I would agree.
    Agree.

Pure weed helps anxiety. It's major fault is it makes you laugh a lot & eat another brownie.
    There is no spoon.