Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Finally Time for a Good Old Fashioned Money Bomb in 2018?

Is it Finally Time for a Good Old Fashioned Money Bomb in 2018?

Larry Sharpe is a libertarian running for Governor in New York, the election is November 6, 2018. The primaries are in a few days (9/13), but we are focused on the general in November.

If you think he doesn't have a chance, consider that he will likely be up against 5 or 6 candidates, only needs 30% to win and I believe the interview he said he was already polling 25%, or he was able to correlate something along those lines.. correct me if I'm wrong but even if we have a stronger hill to climb I believe I can make the case why this is a noteworthy cause to support.

Larry Sharpe was on Joe Rogan the other day proposing that New York retreat from the Federal Education requirements and lose $4 billion in federal education funding, returning control of education away from both Federal and State requirements to individual districts.

Losing the funding for education was a hard pill for Rogan to swallow, but he tries to follow along and also play devil's advocate during a lengthy interview he had very recently.

Larry Sharpe has a lot more good ideas about education such as ending public education at age 16 and giving them less than half ($20k of $44k) that they would spend on each student annually to attend a private prep school for college or a trade or alternative school for two years - or they can simply begin working and forego the education spending for up to 5 years.

You can see an interview with him that was over 2 hours long posted in the following thread for discussion:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...gan-Experience

Here is the interview in full:

However this why I am really interested in proposing this money bomb and why I think significant opportunity to stealthily inject libertarian politics into the national and global narrative:

Listen to 1:30:40 - 1:34:10+ of the interview above..

Joe Rogan: "$#@! your education system, this $#@! will WORK!!" (referring to getting elected on the eliminating bridge tolls in favor of corporate leasing of bridges for corporate naming rights of bridges as opposed to pushing his education reforms on the campaign trail..obviously both are good ideas but one of them is better for getting elected and unfortunately Joe Rogan got the right answer..)

Larry Sharpe proposes leasing the naming rights of bridges (i.e. the Mario Cuomo bridge) to companies like Staples, Verizon, etc.. hold them accountable for maintenance and ELIMINATE tolls.. Sharpe says he has bankers already coming to him about leasing terms.

Do you think Verizon wants to have the headline "Verizon Bridge Collapses" in the media?? $#@! no...

This guy is a genius, and Joe Rogan recognizes it and just gave him a big platform..

This could be big for libertarians, it could even possibly even result in a win, I think..

Comments?

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    OK guys. Larry has been BUSTING HIS ASS non stop this last couple months. He has personally visited all 62 counties in NY. He is gaining in the polls. He is at 13% voting for him with 33% name recognition. He is wanting to get more TV and radio commercial time, which takes $$$$. 3 weeks to go. He is asking for people to donate as much as you can, NOW to get in the airwaves. If he can get to 100% name recognition he is at 39%, (33% name recognition to 100% is a x3, 13% x 3 is 39%) which can then a 5 way race.

If NY gets a libertarian governor, then the tables turn for the whole USA. We always said, focus on local races. This is the local race. This is winnable. The time is NOW!!!

A lot of people were doing a $62.62 for 62 counties donation tonight. He wants more if you can afford more. Everyone (R, D and I) who hears him LOVES him. He just needs more name recognition.

If you can chip in, please do.

https://larrysharpe.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Sharpe4Gov/

Just look at all of the live stream events he has been doing. 2 and 3 a DAY....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sharpe4Gov/videos/

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...IIBA%253D%253D

Last edited by dannno; 10-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    giving them less than half ($20k of $44k) that they would spend on each student annually to attend a private prep school for college or a trade or alternative school for two years - or they can simply begin working and forego the education spending for up to 5 years.
    I'm in favor of anyone that will be an improvement over the current system but I hate the idea of handing out OPM to anyone who turn 16.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm in favor of anyone that will be an improvement over the current system but I hate the idea of handing out OPM to anyone who turn 16.
    No, no, it's like a school voucher, they can turn the money over to a private educational institution.. and it's less than half (and plenty of money..) of what they would normally spend. And they only get it for two years. But they can hit the job market right away and decide maybe they want to spend it a little later, which gives them more career options to explore for less money.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Larry Sharpe also wants to regulate cannabis and hemp the same as onions, but he has never consumed cannabis or other drugs and only drinks small amounts of alcohol in social situations (no alcohol in the house).
    Last edited by dannno; 09-09-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, no, it's like a school voucher, they can turn the money over to a private educational institution.. and it's less than half (and plenty of money..) of what they would normally spend. And they only get it for two years. But they can hit the job market and decide maybe they want to spend it a little later, which gives them more career options to explore for less money.
    That's better but my support for school vouchers is only because they are an improvement that we might be able to achieve on the way to the ideal, they are far from ideal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's better but my support for school vouchers is only because they are an improvement that we might be able to achieve on the way to the ideal, they are far from ideal.
    Ya, it's a transitional measure.

But we are talking about NY state.. and putting a libertarian on the national/world stage.

Ya, it's a transitional measure.

But we are talking about NY state.. and putting a libertarian on the national/world stage.
    Since it is a voucher it is actually a sign that he is one of the rare libertarians who understands that in order to win it may be necessary to aim for what can be instead of what should be, that is good.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I watched half of the interview so far. I would/will contribute to his campaign as a money bomb or just because I see value in his platform.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Shooting from the hip, it is not possible for a company to generate the revenue the bridge tolls generate. Look at how many cars cross over those bridges per day.

One bridge George Washington
    It carries 102 million vehicles a year, making it the world's busiest road bridge, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns and operates it. In 2011, it carried an average of 276,000 vehicles a day.

Cost:
    Tolls are slated to increase at the George Washington Bridge, Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing. For most commuters – those who drive vehicles with two axles and single rear wheels – cash tolls will increase from $14 to $15

That one bridge generates approximately 4 million in revenue each day. No company will pay this for naming rights and have to do upkeep.

Getting the message out!

I would contribute to money bomb(s) for decent Libertarian candidate(s) - like Larry Sharpe for NY governor, and Murray Sabrin for senator in NJ. As ever more people become disgusted with politics, getting the message out for Libertarian candidates could make the difference this fall - this could be the year.

Ron Paul made this brief video for NJ's Libertarian candidate for senate - Murray Sabrin - but much of the message could apply to Larry Sharpe, as well.

(Disclaimer: I will be voting for Murray Sabrin, myself.)

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Shooting from the hip, it is not possible for a company to generate the revenue the bridge tolls generate. Look at how many cars cross over those bridges per day.

One bridge George Washington
    It carries 102 million vehicles a year, making it the world's busiest road bridge, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns and operates it. In 2011, it carried an average of 276,000 vehicles a day.

Cost:
    Tolls are slated to increase at the George Washington Bridge, Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing. For most commuters – those who drive vehicles with two axles and single rear wheels – cash tolls will increase from $14 to $15

That one bridge generates approximately 4 million in revenue each day. No company will pay this for naming rights and have to do upkeep.
    What does the revenue from the tolls currently get spent on?

What does the revenue from the tolls currently get spent on?
    Does that matter? If that revenue is no longer available, do you think they will cut spending to compensate?

The point is private company leasing bridge for the advertising may not be feasible.

Does that matter? If that revenue is no longer available, do you think they will cut spending to compensate?

The point is private company leasing bridge for the advertising may not be feasible.
    Yes, it matters if the tolls are going to the government instead of maintaining the bridges.. If the bridge maintenance can be done on a $3 toll instead of a $15 toll, but Verizon can cover the $3 tolls by advertising instead then the government is out $12 on each of those tolls and the bridge still gets repaired and their is no toll. The people who don't have to pay the toll are the big winners, and prices going down on goods trucked over the bridge is good too.

This is how you shrink government, and this is precisely what Larry Sharpe is trying to do.

Yes, it matters if the tolls are going to the government instead of maintaining the bridges.. If the bridge maintenance can be done on a $3 toll instead of a $15 toll, but Verizon can cover the $3 tolls by advertising instead then the government is out $12 on each of those tolls and the bridge still gets repaired and their is no toll. The people who don't have to pay the toll are the big winners, and prices going down on goods trucked over the bridge is good too.

This is how you shrink government, and this is precisely what Larry Sharpe is trying to do.
    This is wishful thinking. I hope it happens but, I don't think government ever shrinks. Taking a 3 million dollar a day hit from one bridge is pretty huge. Add that hit to all the other toll roads and bridges and I would bet my bottom dollar that NY state will not want to give up their toll money. Huge revenue for them! Getting rid of toll s is great for commuters and people passing thru but will be bad for people living in the state. Their taxes will have to go up to compensate for all the lost revenue from flowing traffic.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is wishful thinking. I hope it happens but, I don't think government ever shrinks. Taking a 3 million dollar a day hit from one bridge is pretty huge. Add that hit to all the other toll roads and bridges and I would bet my bottom dollar that NY state will not want to give up their toll money. Huge revenue for them! Getting rid of toll s is great for commuters and people passing thru but will be bad for people living in the state. Their taxes will have to go up to compensate for all the lost revenue from flowing traffic.
    If we never support guys like Larry Sharpe, the government will never shrink..

But you are all missing the point. It doesn't matter if this works. The point is to get him elected on no tolls. People pay a lot of tolls, they might vote for that. Then we will have a libertarian as governor of NY.

I think it is great but not realistic.

All the opponent has to do is add up all the tolls that are currently collected and tell people that the state will have a 60 billion dollar deficit or whatever the number is that has been paid for by many out of state travelers and if Sharpe is elected the taxpayers will need to make that up by higher taxes.

The opponent could even say he will lower tolls for residents and increase them for out of state vehicles.

All the opponent has to do is add up all the tolls that are currently collected and tell people that the state will have a 60 billion dollar deficit or whatever the number is that has been paid for by many out of state travelers and if Sharpe is elected the taxpayers will need to make that up by higher taxes.
    But he is going to lower taxes and spending, have you seen his platform? He wants to abolish 11th and 12th grade public school..

And all most voters need to hear is no more tolls and you will get a lot of the 70% of voters who don't vote out there voting. They won't hear the other side, they aren't paying attention to all that.

bump

I agree we should do a 2018 money bomb.

Larry is doing some good stuff, and busting his butt out there.... Cuomo is polling lower and lower, and there really is no alternative to him. Cynthia Nixon is going nowhere. The Republican is a sacrificial nothing... I would like to see Sharpe get the $2M he needs to get the exposure he needs for name recognition and then possibly win. Because it would be a huge success for libertarian ideas across the country if he won, or even came in second. The Verizon Bridge idea, implemented and working, would show the rest of the country how to fix our decaying infrastructure. Just because they rake in $15 per car in tolls, certainly doesn't mean that is what is needed to maintain it, nor is the current $ being used wisely. Eliminating the tolls and maintaining the infrastructure with naming rights... As Rogan said, that alone is gold. But without getting the name recognition....

Seriously, what else we got going on right now? Except complaining on the interwebs...
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

I agree we should do a 2018 money bomb.

Larry is doing some good stuff, and busting his butt out there.... Cuomo is polling lower and lower, and there really is no alternative to him. Cynthia Nixon is going nowhere. The Republican is a sacrificial nothing... I would like to see Sharpe get the $2M he needs to get the exposure he needs for name recognition and then possibly win. Because it would be a huge success for libertarian ideas across the country if he won, or even came in second. The Verizon Bridge idea, implemented and working, would show the rest of the country how to fix our decaying infrastructure. Just because they rake in $15 per car in tolls, certainly doesn't mean that is what is needed to maintain it, nor is the current $ being used wisely. Eliminating the tolls and maintaining the infrastructure with naming rights... As Rogan said, that alone is gold. But without getting the name recognition....

Seriously, what else we got going on right now? Except complaining on the interwebs...
    That's a good point, if you have Verizon fixing the bridge then they will want to get the best contractor at the lowest price. The government just uses cronyism and unions.

That will bring the bridge maintenance costs down even further, so there is a good chance they would be able to cover them.

Larry Sharpe claims he has done the math and had interested parties approaching..

But even more importantly, campaigning on ending the tolls is a great way to get a good chunk of the 70% non-voters out there.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It doesn't matter if this works. The point is to get him elected on no tolls. People pay a lot of tolls, they might vote for that. Then we will have a libertarian as governor of NY.
    If a democrat was running saying s/he would eliminate tolls you might have a different reaction. It is not feasible to discard all that revenue and no private company will pay the revenue those bridges/tolls generate for naming rights. If someone you do not like was running on that platform I would expect you to agree. Why run on false promises?

If a democrat was running saying s/he would eliminate tolls you might have a different reaction
    Yes, I would, because I want a libertarian to get elected and privatizing is actually a libertarian talking point..

Politics is a dirty game, let's get libertarians elected. Period. Eliminating tolls gets the attention of the 70% of people who wouldn't normally vote and might push him over the top.

I would chip in a few bucks.
    Do something Danke

NOW is the time for a money bomb.

OK guys. Larry has been BUSTING HIS ASS non stop this last couple months. He has personally visited all 62 counties in NY. He is gaining in the polls. He is at 13% voting for him with 33% name recognition. He is wanting to get more TV and radio commercial time, which takes $$$$. 3 weeks to go. He is asking for people to donate as much as you can, NOW to get in the airwaves. If he can get to 100% name recognition he is at 39%, (33% name recognition to 100% is a x3, 13% x 3 is 39%) which can then a 5 way race.

If NY gets a libertarian governor, then the tables turn for the whole USA. We always said, focus on local races. This is the local race. This is winnable. The time is NOW!!!

A lot of people were doing a $62.62 for 62 counties donation tonight. He wants more if you can afford more. Everyone (R, D and I) who hears him LOVES him. He just needs more name recognition.

If you can chip in, please do.

https://larrysharpe.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Sharpe4Gov/

Just look at all of the live stream events he has been doing. 2 and 3 a DAY....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sharpe4Gov/videos/

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...IIBA%253D%253D

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    You are in the wrong thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast