Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane headed for Bermuda?

Cat4 right now.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It certainly is being Hyped so,, a predicted disaster when is was still a Tropical storm threatening no one..

Will they be pleased of disappointed if it fizzles again?
    I don't think this one is going to do any fizzling. I'm pulling out or emergency kit and getting some chainsaw blades sharpened up tomorrow just in case.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster ordered an estimated 1 million people to evacuate from coastal areas of his state as Florence strengthened to a Category 4 storm. While Florence isn't expected to make landfall until Thursday or Friday, hurricane-force winds of 130 mph or more will start whipping up a deadly storm surge late Wednesday. The evacuation order follows a similar order issued by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, who ordered an estimated 250,000 residents and visitors to begin evacuating the Outer Banks barrier islands. As of noon ET, Florence was about 1,170 miles east-southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina. Cooper said he has asked President Trump to declare a federal state of emergency for his state. Trump, for his part, tweeted that the federal government is already "mobilizing its assets."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...aster-recorded

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't think this one is going to do any fizzling. I'm pulling out or emergency kit and getting some chainsaw blades sharpened up tomorrow just in case.
    Being prepared is one thing,,, and anyone in a coastal area should be both prepared and watching the weather.. as a matter of course.

Been through a dozen,,, and watched the hype every time a depression forms in the Atlantic.
    Media pushed panic and FEAR... like they are hoping for disaster..

and it may hit somewhere,,but NOBODY knows where yet. But they will panic the whole eastern seaboard.

Deal with and clean up afterward...

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2005/10/...-go-again.html
    Last edited by pcosmar; 09-10-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

They said the Keys were wiped out in IRMA again. But My old House down there still survived.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Being prepared is one thing,,, and anyone in a coastal area should be both prepared and watching the weather.. as a matter of course.

Been through a dozen,,, and watched the hype every time a depression forms in the Atlantic.
    Media pushed panic and FEAR... like they are hoping for disaster..

and it may hit somewhere,,but NOBODY knows where yet. But they will panic the whole eastern seaboard.

Deal with and clean up afterward...

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2005/10/...-go-again.html
    I'm far enough inland that by the time it gets here, if it does, it would only be tropical storm strength. However, it's been raining all week. Ground is already saturated. So the biggest threat will be flooding and downed trees. When Hugo came through some places were without power for two weeks. No problem for me. We have an emergency kit and are prepared. Just last minute prep on Wed. Gas up the vehicles, etc. As long as a tree doesn't fall on the house we will be O.K.

The latest computer forecasts from Tuesday afternoon have predicted that Hurricane Florence, still a Category 4 yet growing larger and more powerful, may shift and hit somewhere near the border between North and South Carolina as coastal residents flee what may be the most powerful hurricane to hit the state in 64 years, according to Bloomberg.

"Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, dumping prodigious amounts of rain," said meteorologist Jeff Masters of Weather Underground, who added "If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas — or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall — the rain may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm."
    Evolution in @NHC_Atlantic track maps for Hurricane #Florence , visualized by the @axios viz team. Updates on the hurricane here: https://t.co/UvqFcdEzph pic.twitter.com/WfIFSBC4Yx
    — Andrew Freedman (@afreedma) September 11, 2018
    "We don’t want to gamble with a single South Carolina life."

Southeast braces for Hurricane #Florence: https://t.co/YzXAvUeNfR pic.twitter.com/v0tvOCA1Xm
    — ABC News (@ABC) September 11, 2018
    SCHP flush cars leading traffic from Charleston to Columbia in the reversed lane. #Florence
    �������������� pic.twitter.com/xML8vpBP3A
    — Trooper Bob (@TrooperBob_SCHP) September 11, 2018
    "It's really a dicey forecast right now," says National Weather Service meteorologist Mike Emlaw.
    Landfall is expected late Thursday or early Friday, while mandatory evacuations are in place in preparation for a 12-foot storm surge which could affect over 750,000 homes, according to property analytics firm CoreLogic, while causing up to $27 billion in damages.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...rst-us-history

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Too bad it didn't hit Charlotte last Sunday, would have made a good excuse for the Cowboys-Panthers $#@!show

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Too bad it didn't hit Charlotte last Sunday, would have made a good excuse for the Cowboys-Panthers $#@!show
    $#@! show? I thought the Panthers played a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The latest computer forecasts from Tuesday afternoon have predicted that Hurricane Florence, still a Category 4 yet growing larger and more powerful, may shift and hit somewhere near the border between North and South Carolina as coastal residents flee what may be the most powerful hurricane to hit the state in 64 years, according to Bloomberg.

"Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, dumping prodigious amounts of rain," said meteorologist Jeff Masters of Weather Underground, who added "If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas — or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall — the rain may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm."
    Evolution in @NHC_Atlantic track maps for Hurricane #Florence , visualized by the @axios viz team. Updates on the hurricane here: https://t.co/UvqFcdEzph pic.twitter.com/WfIFSBC4Yx
    — Andrew Freedman (@afreedma) September 11, 2018
    "We don’t want to gamble with a single South Carolina life."

Southeast braces for Hurricane #Florence: https://t.co/YzXAvUeNfR pic.twitter.com/v0tvOCA1Xm
    — ABC News (@ABC) September 11, 2018
    SCHP flush cars leading traffic from Charleston to Columbia in the reversed lane. #Florence
    �������������� pic.twitter.com/xML8vpBP3A
    — Trooper Bob (@TrooperBob_SCHP) September 11, 2018
    "It's really a dicey forecast right now," says National Weather Service meteorologist Mike Emlaw.
    Landfall is expected late Thursday or early Friday, while mandatory evacuations are in place in preparation for a 12-foot storm surge which could affect over 750,000 homes, according to property analytics firm CoreLogic, while causing up to $27 billion in damages.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...rst-us-history

WU has been very reserved in their predictions up until this latest. This would not be good. The stalling of the system like that is going to cause terrible flooding.

Cat3 right now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cat3 right now.
    120 mph,, Good breeze.

someone should have taken daily screen shots to see the changes from day today...

and watch it totally miss the millions that evacuated. and hit New York.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

120 mph,, Good breeze.

someone should have taken daily screen shots to see the changes from day today...

and watch it totally miss the millions that evacuated. and hit New York.

I use this for surf forecasting, it is pretty reliable, especially as they get into the 24 and 48 hour windows. The model hasn't changed much in the last few days, still slamming into the coast just barely south of Buxton.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/disp...a=natla_height
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I use this for surf forecasting, it is pretty reliable, especially as they get into the 24 and 48 hour windows. The model hasn't changed much in the last few days, still slamming into the coast just barely south of Buxton.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/disp...a=natla_height
    And it may,,

I have watched and tracked several in the past.. and from a more immediate location.

I have danced in the eye of Cat 3s,, (Literally) and my old home in the Keys Survived a Cat 4 with Irma.

Panic is bad,, man.
    Don't Panic.

Seek Shelter. Prepare. Stay inside and out of the storm..

99% of Hurricane fatalities are caused by STUPIDITY.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

It’s 150 miles from us- we are dead center of the coastal flooding area. Under a mandatory evacuation. Wasn’t going to but I’m getting nervous. Wife is working at the hospital tomorrow and I can take my family there and be cramped up in the hospital but at least safe. We had a 50 year flood a couple years back and it was just lapping the edge of my slab. This has plenty of potential to be worse.
    No - No - No - No

Cat2

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@! show? I thought the Panthers played a good game.
    Panthers were atrocious...

...Cowboys were worse, of course, hence the result, but both were terrible.

Dak and Cam are both awful QBs; the only difference is that Cam is also a jackass who thinks he's much better than he is.

Dak is actually a good guy (just a very $#@!ty QB).

Ya wine and yoga pants with pockets . I bet she is a fun one . LOL
    Do something Danke

Cat1

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cat1
    And yet they are still milking it for the entire East Coast..

It is a storm folks.. Humans have easily survived this $#@! and worse for thousands of years.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

And yet they are still milking it for the entire East Coast..

It is a storm folks.. Humans have easily survived this $#@! and worse for thousands of years.
    Safe spaces Pete..

Wind and rain are scary..

Actually the idiots getting all worked up and panicking is a bit scary...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Safe spaces Pete..

Wind and rain are scary..

Actually the idiots getting all worked up and panicking is a bit scary...
    I know.. Nature is Violent..

I dislike violence,, but I do accept it as a reality and deal with it on those terms.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Who is panicking?

Actually I see that people are downplaying this storm. Ever since it stopped being a cat 4 it seems like the media has really lost interest and it’s actually hard to find information about the storm. The reality is that this storm is approaching 500-1000 year flood levels. People who have never had their homes approached by floods are stuck on their roofs. It’s a major major event.

However despite that it’s rather calm here as we wait out these relentless rain bands. If anyone is interested you can check the radar- the first parts of eastern NC to feel effects have been under the same direction rain and winds and still expected to continue into the night. The estimates of 16-24” of rain are largely accurate. The storm surge was accurate. Who is panicking? It feels like people are downplaying what might be one of the more devastating landfalls to ever hit this coast- including hazel and Hugo.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Who is panicking?

Actually I see that people are downplaying this storm. Ever since it stopped being a cat 4 it seems like the media has really lost interest and it’s actually hard to find information about the storm. The reality is that this storm is approaching 500-1000 year flood levels. People who have never had their homes approached by floods are stuck on their roofs. It’s a major major event.

However despite that it’s rather calm here as we wait out these relentless rain bands. If anyone is interested you can check the radar- the first parts of eastern NC to feel effects have been under the same direction rain and winds and still expected to continue into the night. The estimates of 16-24” of rain are largely accurate. The storm surge was accurate. Who is panicking? It feels like people are downplaying what might be one of the more devastating landfalls to ever hit this coast- including hazel and Hugo.
    Do you have a boat?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Do you have a boat?
    No - No - No - No

Who is panicking?

A stalled storm is never a good one. A Cat 1 can produce devastating rainfall amounts. I'm sure the weather channel folk are aghast that it didn't land a Cat 5. Somehow flooding is not seen as dangerous as seeing 2x4's piercing trees or swaths of homes leveled. But, the danger is very real. Fuel, oil and sewage get caught up in the mix. Even if your house only floods a foot that is 1 foot of your home that is saturated. Drywall, studs, carpeting, flooring, furniture. In less then a week toxic molds are going to start sporing and saying...breath me in.

A stalled storm is never a good one. A Cat 1 can produce devastating rainfall amounts. I'm sure the weather channel folk are aghast that it didn't land a Cat 5. Somehow flooding is not seen as dangerous as seeing 2x4's piercing trees or swaths of homes leveled. But, the danger is very real. Fuel, oil and sewage get caught up in the mix. Even if your house only floods a foot that is 1 foot of your home that is saturated. Drywall, studs, carpeting, flooring, furniture. In less then a week toxic molds are going to start sporing and saying...breath me in.
    Bout a foot to go :/

I’m a little on edge. The roads out of here are flooded. We have it good compared to alot of the town though.

I’ve been rationing the generator- we can run the whole house including the AC but I run it for 2 hours at a time every 4 hours. I only have about 30 gal of gas.
    Last edited by asurfaholic; 09-14-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    No - No - No - No

Bout a foot to go :/

I’m a little on edge. The roads out of here are flooded. We have it good compared to alot of the town though.

I’ve been rationing the generator- we can run the whole house including the AC but I run it for 2 hours at a time every 4 hours. I only have about 30 gal of gas.
    Good to hear you are prepared..

I am not prone to panic,, but I have observed it in others many times in the past..

And the reporting was panic inducing more than it was informative.

Make Preparations (depending on location and situation)
    Shelter out of the storm. (Do not go out projectile filled disturbed atmosphere)
    Clean up the mess (there is always a mess)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast