Thread: Gov Ducey has selected [Jon Kyl]

Gov Ducey has selected [Jon Kyl]

Jon Kyl to fill McCains seat .
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    At least they didn't give it to the daughter or widow, hopefully Kyl will retire again and Ward can take the seat.
    Here are five things you need to know about Jon Kyl:
    Good Friends With John McCain
    Senator Jon Kyl was a close friend of McCain's who served three terms alongside him in Congress. At McCain's services last week, Kyl said, "I will miss him as a friend and as a strong force for America in the world."
    He cited the Senator in discussing Ducey's decision to choose a replacement, saying they should be in the same mold as the late Senator.
    "John had the experience to do that and he had the instincts, in my view, to make the right kinds of decisions, and I hope whoever the governor appoints can work in that vein," Kyl said.
    Cindy McCain has already expressed her support for the decision.
    Jon Kyl is a dear friend of mine and John’s. It’s a great tribute to John that he is prepared to go back into public service to help the state of Arizona.
    — Cindy McCain (@cindymccain) September 4, 2018
    Once Considered For Trump's Secretary of Defense
    Kyl was once listed as a consideration for the role of Secretary of Defense under the Trump administration.
    His foreign policy resume was a prime reason.
    Time Magazine had listed Kyl as one of its 100 most influential people in the world in 2010, highlighting his "encyclopedic knowledge of domestic and foreign policy, and his hard work and leadership" and "power to persuade."
    But the Senator eventually told president-elect Trump in late November of 2016 that he had no interest in serving in government again.
    General James Mattis was eventually selected for the post, and Kyl has apparently rekindled his interest in government service.
    Helped Guide Brett Kavanaugh
    Kyl was tapped to help guide President Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, through the Senate.
    He was chosen as "chief sherpa" to help lead Kavanaugh through an incredibly polarized and partisan Senate confirmation process.
    "I have made an effort not to be partisan in an in-your-face sense," Kyl once claimed. "Ordinarily, I don’t talk about Republicans and Democrats. I talk about ideas."
    Defended Trump From Media Attacks
    Following a comment in which then-candidate Trump claimed he could "shoot somebody" in the street and "I wouldn’t lose voters," Kyl defended him by explaining to the media that he wasn't being literal.
    "I think we all recognize that Donald Trump speaks loosely I don’t think anybody actually thought that he would shoot somebody," he responded.
    Still, Kyl has been willing to critique Mr. Trump when necessary, saying his "boorish" style sometimes hurts the cause.
    "I don’t like his style," he claimed. "I think he’s his own worst enemy."
    Once Supported Impeachment ... Of Obama
    Kyl, in 2012, wasn't a big fan of Barack Obama selectively enforcing immigration laws, especially coming from a border state like Arizona.
    GOP Senator Jon Kyl Floats Idea Of Impeaching Obama For Halting ICE’s Cooperation With Arizona… http://t.co/GJLFL0CE YES IMPEACH HIM!!!
    — Hollywood Resistance ������������ (@BettinaVLA) June 26, 2012
    "If the president insists on continuing to ignore parts of the law that he doesn’t like, and simply not enforce that law, the primary remedy for that is political," he said during a radio interview.
    "Now if it’s bad enough and if shenanigans involved in it, then of course impeachment is always a possibility," he added, though he confessed it hadn't been an actual topic of conversation at the time.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...cement-jon-kyl

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-04-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

There aren’t enough facepalms for this. What the hell is wrong with Arizona? Was Bill Kristol not available? Kyl is a close enough second. Another super-neoconservative.

Jon Kyl (R-AZ), who served in the U.S. Senate during 1995-2013, was one of Congress’s more vocal supporters of conservative domestic and foreign policies, as well as a key proponent of U.S. military interventions and costly strategic weapons programs.Along with like-minded Senate colleagues, including Sens. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and John McCain (R-AZ), Kyl frequently spoke out about "enemies" across the globe, in particular in the Middle East, championing the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq and U.S.-backed “regime change” in Iran.

In early 2013, shortly after retiring from the Senate, Kyl joined the neoconservative American Enterprise Institute (AEI), where he co-chairs with former Senator Lieberman its American Internationalism Project, a purportedly cross-party initiative meant “to rebuild and reshape a bipartisan consensus around American global leadership and engagement.”[1]

Kyl was one of the first senators to call for overthrowing the regime in Iran. In September 2009, shortly after revelations emerged about a secret Iranian nuclear enrichment facility, Kyl declared on “Meet the Press,” “What we're trying to do here eventually is to get a regime change with a group of people in there that are more representative of the Iranian people, who we really can talk with in a way that might end up with a good result. I think it's very difficult to do that with the current leadership and especially the elected president.” Asked whether he was calling for military action against Iran, Kyl responded that “you don't take any of options off the table.”[2]

Kyl also promoted increasing U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan in support of controversial counterinsurgency efforts pushed by both rightist advocacy groups and liberal-interventionist groups, including the Center for a New American Security.
    https://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/kyl_jon/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Exclamation neo-Maverick

Maverick & neo-Maverick
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Senator Jon Kyl is going to spend 2018 & 2019 running for the cool day job he just got handed?
    Can we moneybomb to run somebody against him or are we to be content with this status quo?

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    hi

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Senator Jon Kyl is going to spend 2018 & 2019 running for the cool day job he just got handed?
    Can we moneybomb to run somebody against him or are we to be content with this status quo?
    Moneybombs don't explode here any more.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Tis a pity....

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    those were the days...where do TEN YEARS go...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Just saw that Kyl has only committed to serving until the end of this Senate session (end of year). So was this just a stopgap appointment? Another one coming up early next year?

Hmmm. Was this a holding place in case McSally loses in the General? That would actually be worse than Kyl, based upon the age gap and potential longevity of McSally.

First Arizonans have to pick a senator this year in the open-seat race to replace Flake. Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema faces GOP Rep. Martha McSally in a race Inside Elections with Nathan L. Gonzales rates a Toss-up.

Should McSally lose, she could also be considered for a Senate appointment. But it might be too early to start speculating on post-2018 scenarios.
    https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...izona-politics
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Just saw that Kyl has only committed to serving until the end of this Senate session (end of year). So was this just a stopgap appointment? Another one coming up early next year?

Hmmm. Was this a holding place in case McSally loses in the General? That would actually be worse than Kyl, based upon the age gap and potential longevity of McSally.
    I'm hoping for a special election next year that Ward can win.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Should have been Ward. She better start acting like an alpha female the next time shes runs for office. Otherwise, the third time won't be the charm.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Should have been Ward. She better start acting like an alpha female the next time shes runs for office. Otherwise, the third time won't be the charm.
    It should have been Ward.

My Governor gives me the disappoints.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Thumbs up Should have been Senator Adam Kokesh #winning

Senator Rand Paul

Senator Gary Johnson

Senator Austin Petersen

Senator Adam Kokesh

Arizona Libertarian Party
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 09-05-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Senator Rand Paul

Senator Gary Johnson

Senator Austin Petersen

Senator Adam Kokesh

Arizona Libertarian Party
    AZ law requires the appointee to come from the same party as the Senator that created the vacancy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Lightbulb Adam Kokesh(R)

AZ law requires the appointee to come from the same party as the Senator that created the vacancy.
    Adam Kokesh could do a quick conversion to GOP. Austin Peterson changed from Libertarian to Republican. Ron Paul changed from Republican to Libertarian in 1988, then back to Republican. No problem.

Boot Kyl before he's sworn in, and replace with Adam Kokesh(R).

Adam Kokesh could do a quick conversion to GOP. Austin Peterson changed for Libertarian to Republican. Ron Paul changed from Republican to Libertarian in 1988, then back to Republican. No problem.

It depends on how the law is written, if I wrote it I would require the appointee to be a member of the same party at the time the vacancy happened in order to keep a D governor from appointing a D Senator who changed over to a RINO to an R vacancy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Kyl and His Record
    According to the New York Times and the Washington Post, Kyl, 76, is a good choice to replace McCain. The appointment won’t upset anyone, and as a plus, he has been working to help get Kavanaugh confirmed.

“Mr. Kyl, who served three terms in the Senate, spoke at a service honoring Mr. McCain in the Arizona State Capitol last week,” the Times reported, “but he has also been shepherding Brett M. Kavanaugh, Mr. Trump’s Supreme Court appointee, through the Senate.”
    “It’s not the time for newcomers, and now is not the time for on-the-job training,” said Mr. Ducey at a news conference in Phoenix.
    But in tapping Mr. Kyl, Mr. Ducey has effectively put the stature of Mr. McCain’s seat ahead of the political imperative of keeping it in Republican hands: For now, the former senator has only committed to serving until the start of the next Congress, in January.
    Mr. Kyl has indicated he would consider staying in the seat longer, until 2020, when a special election will be held to fill Mr. McCain’s unexpired term, the officials said. But he made clear at the news conference that he will not seek to run again. That would leave the seat open and could trigger a fiercely competitive primary.
    The Post quoted an Arizona GOP money man as stating: “Jon Kyl is a safe choice for Governor Ducey as he tries to balance his reelection and the McCain and Trump factions of the Arizona Republican Party,” said Dan Eberhar. “Senator Kyl is filling the shoes of John McCain and Barry Goldwater before him. That is much easier said than done, but he is a very high-quality, consensus pick.”
    Importantly, the Post noted, “Kyl will cast crucial votes in the coming weeks on Kavanaugh’s nomination, government spending and possibly billions for a U.S.-Mexico border wall and perhaps another round of tax cuts.”

Voting Record
    As politics goes, Kyl, who will leave a lucrative law practice at Covington Burling, was the smart choice. But his voting record isn’t solidly conservative. By retirement in 2012, the three-term senator had earned a lifetime 72 percent on The John Birch Society’s Freedom Index, which rates the constitutionality and fiscal responsibility of a Congressman's votes.
    Among the most recent votes counted as “bad” on the FI was an “aye” vote on a continuing resolution to keep the government running from October 1, 2012 through March 27, 2013, just five months. The vote is “bad” because it was “a way for Congress to perpetuate its fiscally irresponsible, unconstitutional spending habits with a minimum of accountability to its constituents.”
    In 2011, Kyl voted the wrong way on a measure from Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) that technically would have stopped the government from compiling a list of every gun owner in the country. In a similar vein, Kyl voted the wrong way on a measure that would extended the Patriot Act’s provision such that the government could violate an American’s protections under the Fourth Amendment .
    Yet Kyl voted, as his percentage shows, the right way on more than seven of 10 issues.
    That’s better than McCain, who trailed Kyl by 10 percent. The late senator scored 62 percent in the latest cumulative FI survey. But that score compiles votes from several Congresses. Some sessions, McCain, a reputed conservative, raced to the bottom of the index with scores that were as low as of a liberal Democrat.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...sworn-in-today

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Thumbs down Kyl, Wacko-Bird

Kyl and His Record
    According to the New York Times and the Washington Post, Kyl, 76, is a good choice to replace McCain.

In 2011, Kyl voted the wrong way on a measure from Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) that technically would have stopped the government from compiling a list of every gun owner in the country. In a similar vein, Kyl voted the wrong way on a measure that would extended the Patriot Act’s provision such that the government could violate an American’s protections under the Fourth Amendment .
    That gives Kyl an RPF rating of Wacko-Bird.

That gives Kyl an RPF rating of Wacko-Bird.
    Which is one rank better than Psycho-Bird McCain.

At least Ducey didn't give it to the widow or the daughter.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Adam Kokesh could do a quick conversion to GOP. Austin Peterson changed from Libertarian to Republican. Ron Paul changed from Republican to Libertarian in 1988, then back to Republican. No problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^