Thread: 3-M Vinyl Camo wraps on firearms. Praise, bitches, advise...

3-M Vinyl Camo wraps on firearms. Praise, bitches, advise...

So, have any used some of the 3-M vinyl wraps on their firearms? What do you think?

http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/ar-1...-universal-fit

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The reason I ask is I got a S&W M&P Sport 2 on the cheap, $400 with hard case, 100 rds., never fired. I could sell it at a profit tomorrow. At the same time I want to play with it a bit. I could go the rattle-can route which would be just as expensive. Never rattle-canned a gun, but I have a partial truck bed and a car bumper. I'm pretty good with a rattle-can. But, these vinyl camo wraps can be taken off. So, I'd preserve the re-sale value. I just want to experiment with it since it was a steal.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The reason I ask is I got a S&W M&P Sport 2 on the cheap, $400 with hard case, 100 rds., never fired. I could sell it at a profit tomorrow. At the same time I want to play with it a bit. I could go the rattle-can route which would be just as expensive. Never rattle-canned a gun, but I have a partial truck bed and a car bumper. I'm pretty good with a rattle-can. But, these vinyl camo wraps can be taken off. So, I'd preserve the re-sale value. I just want to experiment with it since it was a steal.
    I have done vinyl on cars. It takes some tricks to get it smooth..
    also,, I would expect heat related issues,, (melting)

I would recommend Cerakote,, and it should not hurt resale,(unless you get TOO weird).
    Nicely done will increase resale.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have done vinyl on cars. It takes some tricks to get it smooth..
    also,, I would expect heat related issues,, (melting)

I would recommend Cerakote,, and it should not hurt resale,(unless you get TOO weird).
    Nicely done will increase resale.
    I have read that heat does cause the barrel vinyl to become flexible. So if you were to scrape the barrel against something it might peel. But, barring that, as it cools it re-affixes.

Haven't looked into rattle-can paints, but your suggestion of Cerakote rings true. I am, and have been, an artist. Less is more in some circumstances. This I know.

And perhaps, nicely done, the re-sale might be indeed be better.

My problem is this. On metal I know a rattle can would work just fine. On plastics, not so much. Though the bumper I did was plastic and worked great. But, that was automotive grade paint.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I have read that heat does cause the barrel vinyl to become flexible. So if you were to scrape the barrel against something it might peel. But, barring that, as it cools it re-affixes.

Haven't looked into rattle-can paints, but your suggestion of Cerakote rings true. I am, and have been, an artist. Less is more in some circumstances. This I know.

And perhaps, nicely done, the re-sale might be indeed be better.

My problem is this. On metal I know a rattle can would work just fine. On plastics, not so much. Though the bumper I did was plastic and worked great. But, that was automotive grade paint.
    Rattle-can can.. Cheap paint will burn off though and it scratched easily.

That might be something I would use for seasonal changes,, Snow.. Fall or Green.

CeraKote is a Ceramic,, Good Abrasion resistance (Hard to scratch) and is formulated for Guns.. is protective,, and solvent resistant.

a better choice in customization.. imho
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Rattle-can can.. Cheap paint will burn off though and it scratched easily.

That might be something I would use for seasonal changes,, Snow.. Fall or Green.

CeraKote is a Ceramic,, Good Abrasion resistance (Hard to scratch) and is formulated for Guns.. is protective,, and solvent resistant.

a better choice in customization.. imho
    Well, that's my conundrum. The vinyl runs $40 for the full cover. That's about what 3 rattle cans of Cerakote would run.

Plus, I can customize. Negative, I can't just peel it off.

For such a steal I think I might just go ahead and experiment with paint. As you mentioned, done right, it probably wouldn't compromise re-sale and actually might increase it.