Thread: Iconic left wing paper, "Village Voice", shuts all operations down

Exclamation Iconic left wing paper, "Village Voice", shuts all operations down

The Village Voice, a New York Icon, Closes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/31/b...ce-closes.html

The storied independent publication, which made its debut in 1955, dropped its print edition in 2015 and has not had an editor since May.

By Tyler Pager and Jaclyn Peiser

Aug. 31, 2018

When Peter D. Barbey bought The Village Voice in 2015, he vowed to invest in the storied alternative weekly, saying it would “survive and prosper.” But last August he shuttered the print edition, and on Friday he closed the operation altogether.

The end of the left-leaning independent publication was an anticlimax, given the many empty red plastic Village Voice boxes that have been scattered like debris across the sidewalks of Manhattan in recent years.

“This is a sad day for The Village Voice and for millions of readers,” Mr. Barbey said. “The Voice has been a key element of New York City journalism and is read around the world. As the first modern alternative newspaper, it literally defined a new genre of publishing.”

Staff members said they were not surprised that the end had come. The paper’s last editor in chief, Stephen Mooallem — the third top editor to serve under Mr. Barbey during his three-year tenure as owner — left in May and was not replaced.

Some staff members will stay on to make the paper’s print archive digitally accessible; the rest will be out of a job at a time when the local news industry finds itself in crisis.

Tom Robbins, a former longtime investigative journalist at The Voice, said, “It’s astonishing that this is happening in New York, the biggest media town in America.”

Now on the faculty at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York, Mr. Robbins added, “I think it really helped so many people sort of figure out everything they wanted to know, from where to find an apartment to what show to see to what scandal they wanted to dig into.”

The Voice was founded as a nickel weekly in 1955 by three New Yorkers, Dan Wolf, Edwin Fancher and Norman Mailer. They assembled a crew of writers who engaged readers with their wit and provoked them with their penchant for argument. Later owners included Rupert Murdoch and the pet-food magnate Leonard Stern.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bye now.
    Do something Danke

Their readers prefer to follow the latest NYC progressive trends on Fox&Friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

63 years is a good run. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    63 years is a good run. Bye.
    I am a fan of Nat Hentoff.

1955? Damn they've been around for a pretty long time.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The left likes free $#@!. Did the Village Voice cost money? When they went digital did all the lefties use ad-blocker?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The left likes free $#@!. Did the Village Voice cost money? When they went digital did all the lefties use ad-blocker?
    The Voice was "old line" left...I reckon for today's Bolsheviks, the problem was they were not leftist enough.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Voice was "old line" left...I reckon for today's Bolsheviks, the problem was they were not leftist enough.
    Makes sense. Not enough tranny's on the cover of the Rolling Stone?