View Poll Results: How Many Seats Will The GOP Lose?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18+ (Dems take the House)

5 23.81%
  • 10-17

5 23.81%
  • 5-9

0 0%
  • 1-4

1 4.76%
  • None (or they gain seats)

10 47.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midterms - How Many House Seats Will The GOP Lose?

Midterms - How Many House Seats Will The GOP Lose?

The GOP currently has 235 seats, the Dems 193, with 7 vacancies.

218 are needed for a majority.

Vote and comment.

Below, for your viewing pleasure, are the latest polling data, trend chart, and forecast, compliments of RCP.

Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 09-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For the record, since this is not a public poll, I'm going with 10-17.

I think the GOP will come close, losing maybe 15 or 16, but just barely keep the majority.

Gridlock = MAGA

The more candidates Trump endorses, the more certain MAGA becomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

I don't take part in polls or questions like this, since 2016.

It was a sure thing, as positive as the sun coming up in the morning, that Hillary would be next.

I thought so and said so, and ended up looking foolish.

It will be whatever it will be, polls and the voting process are so monkey $#@!ed as to not be credible.

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    I believe there was a meeting of the Neocon minds during today’s McCain ceremony to assure that the Machine can still keep power. Evidence in the number of jabs taken at MAGA during everyone’s eulogy speech while the media gushing over getting bipartisanship back into our country.

Less than 11 1/2 .
    Do something Danke

I can only say that I don't believe the GOP will lose the house, I can't guess any more precisely than that, they might barely hold on or they might gain seats.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

It was a sure thing, as positive as the sun coming up in the morning, that Hillary would be next.

It will be whatever it will be, polls and the voting process are so monkey $#@!ed as to not be credible.
    The polls in 2016 were pretty accurate, as they usually are.

What happened was that they tightened a lot in the last few weeks, having previously shown pantsuit a clear favorite.

The actual election results were mostly within the MoE of the final polls; remember, Trump barely squeaked it out.

Likewise, it's reasonable to assume that if the midterms were held today, the results would be close to the current polls.

Of course, the polls may change (though I personally doubt they'll change much, at least in a pro-GOP direction).

Apart from the polls, there's a very long-standing trend of the in-power party suffering in the midterms.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 09-01-2018 at 08:35 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The polls in 2016 were pretty accurate, as they usually are.
    It wasn't reported that way.

First things first: Hillary Clinton has a 70 percent chance of winning the election, according to both the FiveThirtyEight polls-only and polls-plus models. That’s up from a 65 percent chance on Sunday night, so Clinton has had a good run in the polls in the final days of the campaign. Clinton’s projected margin of victory in the popular vote has increased to 3.5 percent from 2.9 percent.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ally-converge/

It wasn't reported that way.
    538's odds =/= polls.

Look at the actual polls on Real Clear Politics.

Nationally, and in almost every state, the polls were within the MoE.

Banned

Blog Entries
    LOL

Pugs gonna take it all.

then 11/11 parade.

Idk how many seats are going to be lost but I'm sure the republicans will keep the house.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    It could change at any moment, at the moment the GOP should gain seats. Especially if they use John McCain's death to guilt people into voting in the mid terms.
    rev 3.0 will be very unhappy.

I will vote if Rev 3.0 promises to change his avatar to a donkey for a year if None is the actual outcome in November.

The actual election results were mostly within the MoE of the final polls; remember, Trump barely squeaked it out.
    304 to 227 electoral college votes. That's a lot better than barely squeaking by.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    304 to 227 electoral college votes. That's a lot better than barely squeaking by.
    But he lost the popular vote.

More than none.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

Their polls are useless. This idea of a generic ballot is meaningless. People won't be voting on a generic ballot, they will be voting for their specific local representative. I chalk this whole the thing up to the media pushing a "fake it till you make it" mentality.

I suspect the Democrats will be disappointed when they fail to take back the House. Personally I am hoping the Republicans gain even 1 seat, just to destroy them mentally.

It seems to me that Democrats not only have been failing in their elections since 2010, but that they are even more out of step with the public than ever before.

• They gave away the working class vote

• They gave away being champions of the 1st Amendment

• They appear to care more about foreigners than Americans

They have nothing to sell to the public beyond guilt and that has a very limited market. The African-American vote is eroding and former Democrats everywhere are choosing to #WalkAway.

I see the media selling the dream, just as they did for Hillary. Reality was harsh in 2016 and I suspect it will be again in 2018. People like having jobs and more money in their paychecks. Calling Republicans Nazis for 3 years isn't going to get the job done for the left... in my opinion.
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 09-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

538's odds =/= polls.

Look at the actual polls on Real Clear Politics.

Nationally, and in almost every state, the polls were within the MoE.
    I understand your point and don't contest it, you're right, it was a squeaker.

But it wasn't being reported that way.

I could clog the board with 10,000 more headlines just like 538's that were reporting Hillary as a "sure thing".

And that kind of "reporting" swings polls.

My GOP sources tell me we are going to gain 11 seats this cycle. The MAGA wave is going strong
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    My GOP sources tell me we are going to gain 11 seats this cycle. The MAGA wave is going strong
    That is just as likely as losing a dozen .
    Do something Danke

I think they could lose ~10-15 due to the midterm curse but think Republican voters aren't gonna treat this like a midterm, more like a presidential election and turn out more than in the past.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    I think they could lose ~10-15 due to the midterm curse but think Republican voters aren't gonna treat this like a midterm, more like a presidential election and turn out more than in the past.
    I could be wrong but -it looks like the mid terms will probably be rigged if you look at all the different narratives they are pushing they will blame Russia if they don't get the outcome they desire and might even blame Russia if they get the outcome they desire. Here are just a few that i found in 10 seconds, I am sure there are probably more on every political echo chamber and fake news outlet there is promoting this idea. I am just glad I don't have to think for myself, that would be stressful.

Facebook: warns of midterms election interference, fingers point to Russia
    Homeland Security:Every US state must prepare for Russian election interference in midterms
    CNN: More than half of American adults say they believe it's likely there will be Russian interference in November's midterm elections, (according to poll)
    Trump: "I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Does that mean the end of tax cuts?

Doubt it. Repubs are favored to win the senate and Trump still can veto.

I understand your point and don't contest it, you're right, it was a squeaker.

But it wasn't being reported that way.

I could clog the board with 10,000 more headlines just like 538's that were reporting Hillary as a "sure thing".

And that kind of "reporting" swings polls.
    70% is not a sure thing.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    70% is not a sure thing.

538 and Nate Silver were outliers and by far the most accurate. As a side not it is ridiculous the ridicule Silver got from conservatives when his work was so much closer to correct than anyone else's. But AF's point was true for the prognosticators in general. Huffington Post's polling thing has Hillary Clinton at 100%. So many of those forecasters had it at 95% Hillary like Sam Wang. http://election.princeton.edu/2016/1...ats-gop-house/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d9ce6fbc6f7f
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 09-02-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    538 and Nate Silver were outliers and by far the most accurate. But his point was true for the prognosticators in general. Huffington Post's polling thing has Hillary Clinton at 100%.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d9ce6fbc6f7f
    That really begs the question because I like to gamble- if you have ever gambled before you know that $#@! happens no matter how improbable. That's why with polling i think there is a margin of error that basically says that the percentage is always approximate. Doesn't that mean that 100% isn't always 100%?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast