Thread: Body Fat Impacted by When You Eat Breakfast, Dinner – Study

Body Fat Impacted by When You Eat Breakfast, Dinner – Study

Modest changes to breakfast and dinner times can reduce body fat, a new pilot study in the Journal of Nutritional Sciences reports.
    During a 10-week study on ‘time-restricted feeding’ (a form of intermittent fasting), researchers led by Dr Jonathan Johnston from the University of Surrey investigated the impact changing meal times has on dietary intake, body composition and blood risk markers for diabetes and heart disease.
    Participants were split into two groups — those who were required to delay their breakfast by 90 minutes and have their dinner 90 minutes earlier, and those who ate meals as they would normally (the controls). Participants were required to provide blood samples and complete diet diaries before and during the 10-week intervention and complete a feedback questionnaire immediately after the study.

Unlike previous studies in this area, participants were not asked to stick to a strict diet and could eat freely, provided it was within a certain eating window. This helped researchers assess whether this type of diet was easy to follow in everyday life.
    Researchers found that those who changed their mealtimes lost on average more than twice as much body fat as those in the control group, who ate their meals as normal. If these pilot data can be repeated in larger studies, there is potential for time-restricted feeding to have broad health benefits.
    Although there were no restrictions on what participants could eat, researchers found that those who changed their mealtimes ate less food overall than the control group. This result was supported by questionnaire responses which found that 57 percent of participants noted a reduction in food intake either due to reduced appetite, decreased eating opportunities or a cutback in snacking (particularly in the evenings). It is currently uncertain whether the longer fasting period undertaken by this group was also a contributing factor to this reduction in body fat.
    As part of the study, researchers also examined if fasting diets are compatible with everyday life and long-term commitment. When questioned, 57 percent of participants felt they could not have maintained the new meal times beyond the prescribed 10 weeks because of their incompatibility with family and social life. However, 43 percent of participants would consider continuing if eating times were more flexible.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/body-fat-im...-dinner-study/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's Intermittent Fasting

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide

The 16/8 method: Also called the Leangains protocol, it involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, such as 1–9 p.m. Then you fast for 16 hours in between.
    ---

Some say that fasting will make people gain weight over time, because going for longer periods without eating will train the body to hold more weight on average to keep them in a more compensated survival zone.
    FJB

I only eat once a day. I dont eat breakfast at all. No desire to do so. I wake up, Im not hungry so I dont eat. Simple as that. Sometimes I have either a big lunch, or I have a big dinner. Whether its lunch or dinner, its usually early for me and I dont eat and just head off to bed. Its pretty well balanced. When I go to bed, its hours after Ive eaten. Then I look at my body weight. Im not in perfect shape, but I also dont look like Im pregnant in my fourth or fifth trimester carrying twins.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    It's Intermittent Fasting

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide

---

Some say that fasting will make people gain weight over time, because going for longer periods without eating will train the body to hold more weight on average to keep them in a more compensated survival zone.
    It may have benefits without the risk if done less extremely, I read somewhere that one of the body's repair mechanisms was activated if one went 12hrs without eating.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Eating in 10-hour window can override disease-causing genetic defects, nurture health

Salk scientists discover that periods of fasting can protect against obesity and diabetes
    LA JOLLA—Scientists at the Salk Institute found that mice lacking the biological clocks thought to be necessary for a healthy metabolism could still be protected against obesity and metabolic diseases by having their daily access to food restricted to a 10-hour window.
    The work, which appeared in the journal Cell Metabolism on August 30, 2018, suggests that the health problems associated with disruptions to animals’ 24-hour rhythms of activity and rest—which in humans is linked to eating for most of the day or doing shift work—can be corrected by eating all calories within a 10-hour window.
    “For many of us, the day begins with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and ends with a bedtime snack 14 or 15 hours later,” says Satchidananda Panda, a professor in Salk’s Regulatory Biology Laboratory and the senior author of the new paper. “But restricting food intake to 10 hours a day, and fasting the rest, can lead to better health, regardless of our biological clock.”

Every cell in mammals’ bodies operates on a 24-hour cycle known as the circadian rhythm—cellular cycles that govern when various genes are active. For example, in humans, genes for digestion are more active earlier in the day while genes for cellular repair are more active at night. Previously, the Panda lab discovered that mice allowed 24-hour access to a high-fat diet became obese and developed a slew of metabolic diseases including high cholesterol, fatty liver and diabetes. But these same mice, when restricted to the high-fat diet for a daily 8- to 10-hour window became lean, fit and healthy. The lab attributed the health benefits to keeping the mice in better sync with their cellular clocks—for example, by eating most of the calories when genes for digestion were more active.
    In the current study, the team aimed to better understand the role of circadian rhythms in metabolic diseases by disabling genes responsible for maintaining the biological clock in mice, including in the liver, which regulates many metabolic functions. The genetic defects in these clock-less mice make them prone to obesity, diabetes, fatty liver disease and elevated blood cholesterol. These diseases further escalate when the animals are allowed to eat fatty and sugary food.
    To test whether time-restricted eating could benefit these “clock-less” mice, Panda’s team put them on one of two high-fat diet regimes: one group had access to food around the clock, the other had access to the same number of calories only during a 10-hour window. As the team expected, the group that could eat at any time became obese and developed metabolic diseases. But the group that ate the same number of calories within a 10-hour window remained lean and healthy—despite not having an internal “biological clock” and thereby genetically programmed to be morbidly sick. This told the researchers that the health benefits from a 10-hour window were not just due to restricting eating to times when genes for digestion were more active.
    “From the previous study, we had been under the impression that the biological clock was internally timing the process of turning genes for metabolism on and off at predetermined times,” says Amandine Chaix, a staff scientist at Salk and the paper’s first author. “And while that may still be true, this work suggests that by controlling the animals’ feeding and fasting cycles, we can basically override the lack of an internal timing system with an external timing system.”
    According to the researchers, the new work suggests that the primary role of circadian clocks may be to tell the animal when to eat and when to stay away from food. This internal timing strikes a balance between sufficient nutrition during the fed state and necessary repair or rejuvenation during fasting. When this circadian clock is disrupted, as when humans do shift work, or when it is compromised due to genetic defects, the balance between nutrition and rejuvenation breaks down and diseases set in.

More at: https://www.salk.edu/news-release/ea...urture-health/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Eating in 10-hour window can override disease-causing genetic defects, nurture health

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again."

Someone cover me?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I only eat once a day. I dont eat breakfast at all. No desire to do so. I wake up, Im not hungry so I dont eat. Simple as that. Sometimes I have either a big lunch, or I have a big dinner. Whether its lunch or dinner, its usually early for me and I dont eat and just head off to bed. Its pretty well balanced. When I go to bed, its hours after Ive eaten. Then I look at my body weight. Im not in perfect shape, but I also dont look like Im pregnant in my fourth or fifth trimester carrying twins.
    Dang, bro. IDK how you get enough nutrition eating like that. I personally get headaches if I don't have some breakfast. I can forget lunch entirely and do fine, though. Being a quite active person, I have to remind myself to eat enough calories to maintain my macro intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Dang, bro. IDK how you get enough nutrition eating like that. I personally get headaches if I don't have some breakfast. I can forget lunch entirely and do fine, though. Being a quite active person, I have to remind myself to eat enough calories to maintain my macro intake.
    I get plenty of nutrition; it just comes all at once. However I do agree that my habits cause me to ask a lot of questions.

Why do I only feel the need to eat once a day as opposed to grazing lightly throughout the day? Why dont I get headaches? Why dont I get colds? Why dont I feel a total loss of energy? Is this the reason I look far younger than I actually am? Is this good or bad? I dont pay attention to it at all, so why does my weight stay almost exactly the same year after year? Why dont I seem to see any negative side effects of this eat big once a day lifestyle? Is this something I should recommend to other people? Am I seeing the story @Swordsmyth posted with bias, or unbiased, such as Confirmation Bias? Am I asking the right questions?
    1776 > 1984

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I get plenty of nutrition; it just comes all at once. However I do agree that my habits cause me to ask a lot of questions.

Why do I only feel the need to eat once a day as opposed to grazing lightly throughout the day? Why dont I get headaches? Why dont I get colds? Why dont I feel a total loss of energy? Is this the reason I look far younger than I actually am? Is this good or bad? I dont pay attention to it at all, so why does my weight stay almost exactly the same year after year? Why dont I seem to see any negative side effects of this eat big once a day lifestyle? Is this something I should recommend to other people? Am I seeing the story @Swordsmyth posted with bias, or unbiased, such as Confirmation Bias? Am I asking the right questions?
    If it's working for you don't second guess yourself..

As you age it's likely your diet and eating habits will too, don't question them either if they're working for you...

Listen to your body not your mind when it comes to diet.

Sounds like you're successfully using ketones for fuel in the morning (ketosis). A lot of people can do it with morning fasting, but fasting just ain't for me. More power to ya, man. ~hugs~ If you're genetically gifted, ya may be able to keep it up long term.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Sounds like you're successfully using ketones for fuel in the morning (ketosis). A lot of people can do it with morning fasting, but fasting just ain't for me. More power to ya, man. ~hugs~ If you're genetically gifted, ya may be able to keep it up long term.
    I dont have a clue if Im genetically gifted or not. My family is very small, and, long story short, I dont want anything to do with most of them.

Have any more info on Ketones?

also...

One odd thing I have noticed about my eating habits and diet, is for one, Im not on a diet. Its not a conscious thing. I literally put no effort into planning meals. The foods themselves are what makes me curious. I dont eat meat. Again, not a conscious thing. I just dont crave it, so I cant explain it. There are so many meals Ive made where I only realize "I forgot the meat yet again" after I ate. Not sure if that is tied to Blood Type, which Ive seen theories about, like Type A (me) does better on grains, and fruits and vegetables, but not so hot on meat. Type O Blood appears to be the big meat eaters according to that theory. What I do eat is some carbs, but I crave fish and veggies. Had me a nice Papa Murphy's Veggie Supreme pizza, swapping out artichokes for black olives. That is something I do feel a strong craving for, then pig out, eat the whole damn thing, then Im not hungry for days. I crave salads with dark greens, black olives, blue cheese, fermented cheeses, black olives, mixed veggies, etc. That almost ALMOST makes me hungry right now thinking about it, but meh, as usual, not hungry enough to get off my lazy ass and make a salad right now. Had a cup of coffee this morning, and thats it. Typically I dont even eat at all until after I walk my wolves up a big mountain on a daily mile hike, which is about 22 hours after Ive last eaten. Weird as hell. Zero drop in energy on my hike, I just carry water. Oh, and Im lactose intolerant. And I smoke.

Only other thing I can think of that may be a Major Influencer is that Ive been eating this way for years, so it could be Gut Bacteria? I do recall news articles explaining that Gut Bacteria release their own sets of chemicals causing you to crave whatever the bacteria themselves most desire. So if its unhealthy food, Gut Bacteria influence your behavior and make you want more unhealthy food. Same thing applies to healthy food. After a while, got a good culture of Gut Bacteria to break down that healthy food and a lot less of the bacteria that would crave unhealthy stuff. Perhaps thats it?

Any additional thoughts?

Is this weird? Normal? Freak? Genetically gifted? Rare or common? Blood Type? Properly proportioned diet? Proper gut bacteria? But as @tod evans suggested, Im just gonna keep listening to my body. For others that want to get healthy, Im thinking the Gut Bacteria also may have something to do with it?

(Edit - Note: Not trying to derail the thread, but the article seems to be exactly what I am, will split thread if needed)
    Last edited by DamianTV; 09-01-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    1776 > 1984

I dont have a clue if Im genetically gifted or not. My family is very small, and, long story short, I dont want anything to do with most of them.

Have any more info on Ketones?

also...

One odd thing I have noticed about my eating habits and diet, is for one, Im not on a diet. Its not a conscious thing. I literally put no effort into planning meals. The foods themselves are what makes me curious. I dont eat meat. Again, not a conscious thing. I just dont crave it, so I cant explain it. There are so many meals Ive made where I only realize "I forgot the meat yet again" after I ate. Not sure if that is tied to Blood Type, which Ive seen theories about, like Type A (me) does better on grains, and fruits and vegetables, but not so hot on meat. Type O Blood appears to be the big meat eaters according to that theory. What I do eat is some carbs, but I crave fish and veggies. Had me a nice Papa Murphy's Veggie Supreme pizza, swapping out artichokes for black olives. That is something I do feel a strong craving for, then pig out, eat the whole damn thing, then Im not hungry for days. I crave salads with dark greens, black olives, blue cheese, fermented cheeses, black olives, mixed veggies, etc. That almost ALMOST makes me hungry right now thinking about it, but meh, as usual, not hungry enough to get off my lazy ass and make a salad right now. Had a cup of coffee this morning, and thats it. Typically I dont even eat at all until after I walk my wolves up a big mountain on a daily mile hike, which is about 22 hours after Ive last eaten. Weird as hell. Zero drop in energy on my hike, I just carry water. Oh, and Im lactose intolerant. And I smoke.

Only other thing I can think of that may be a Major Influencer is that Ive been eating this way for years, so it could be Gut Bacteria? I do recall news articles explaining that Gut Bacteria release their own sets of chemicals causing you to crave whatever the bacteria themselves most desire. So if its unhealthy food, Gut Bacteria influence your behavior and make you want more unhealthy food. Same thing applies to healthy food. After a while, got a good culture of Gut Bacteria to break down that healthy food and a lot less of the bacteria that would crave unhealthy stuff. Perhaps thats it?

Any additional thoughts?

Is this weird? Normal? Freak? Genetically gifted? Rare or common? Blood Type? Properly proportioned diet? Proper gut bacteria? But as @tod evans suggested, Im just gonna keep listening to my body. For others that want to get healthy, Im thinking the Gut Bacteria also may have something to do with it?

(Edit - Note: Not trying to derail the thread, but the article seems to be exactly what I am, will split thread if needed)
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but the outline at the beginning looks accurate:

Will respond to moar of your post as time allows. ~hugs~

I think that there are different styles of metabolisms, I don't know what factors determine what type you are but I don't think that one recipe for everyone to eat by exists, I do think that there are trends that benefit everyone if they modify their style towards them however, going longer without eating within your style is one of those in my opinion.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@heavenlyboy34 - Thanks. I'll check it out in a bit. When Ive tried searching for it, the only thing I ever come up with is all sorts of illnesses, which Im not, and "Eating Disorder". Sorry, just doesnt feel like a disorder considering there dont appear to be any negative consequences. I'll report back when Ive seen the whole thing.
    1776 > 1984

@DamianTV do you still work in a TV control job?

I used to do that, but now I'm a commercial driver. I think the more chaotic my job is, the worse my eating is. When I was a Master Control Room guy, I had a small bad habit of snacking mostly out of boredom, but it wasn't to bad. I would try to mix it up with trail mix or raisins.

I guess my thought on this is people struggle to cope with weird work schedules that probably messes with their meal times.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    @DamianTVI guess my thought on this is people struggle to cope with weird work schedules that probably messes with their meal times.
    I believe this to be true. Customer service runs odd hours and I notice almost everyone in my current office is pudgy. I eat very small meals because I don’t have a lot of time to eat. With less mobility I try to control portions by eating more slowly. I don’t snack in between break and lunch. Some coworkers eat all the time. I can’t imagine doing that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @heavenlyboy34 - Thanks. I'll check it out in a bit. When Ive tried searching for it, the only thing I ever come up with is all sorts of illnesses, which Im not, and "Eating Disorder". Sorry, just doesnt feel like a disorder considering there dont appear to be any negative consequences. I'll report back when Ive seen the whole thing.
    keto is/has been used for a number of diseases, but plenty of athletes and regular folks use it nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    @DamianTV do you still work in a TV control job?

I used to do that, but now I'm a commercial driver. I think the more chaotic my job is, the worse my eating is. When I was a Master Control Room guy, I had a small bad habit of snacking mostly out of boredom, but it wasn't to bad. I would try to mix it up with trail mix or raisins.

I guess my thought on this is people struggle to cope with weird work schedules that probably messes with their meal times.
    Not any more. That job and the insane schedule nearly killed me.

Eating schedules also make a lot of sense, especially in Broadcast. Not much available that really satiates when youre hungry, and far too often, its easier to grab a snack than pull out home made food and spend 20 minutes in the break room. Goofy schedules made it a lot worse, and like you said eating out of boredom.

---

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I believe this to be true. Customer service runs odd hours and I notice almost everyone in my current office is pudgy. I eat very small meals because I don’t have a lot of time to eat. With less mobility I try to control portions by eating more slowly. I don’t snack in between break and lunch. Some coworkers eat all the time. I can’t imagine doing that.
    20 minute rule? Start eating, then 20 minutes later, no matter how much youve eaten, no longer hungry?

---

keto is/has been used for a number of diseases, but plenty of athletes and regular folks use it nowadays.
    Does that also explain consistent low body temperature? Forgot to mention that... Avg 96.5
    1776 > 1984

Does that also explain consistent low body temperature? Forgot to mention that... Avg 96.5
    Sounds rather like a symptom of keto flu. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...mptoms#get-rid

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It may have benefits without the risk if done less extremely, I read somewhere that one of the body's repair mechanisms was activated if one went 12hrs without eating.
    One of the things people never think about is that eating works the body constantly, from the time the food goes in one side, and comes out the other.

I haven't cut way down on eating, but I do stay within the 8-10 hour window, a lot, and only eat twice a day, a lot, now if I do eat three times in a day I feel like I overate.... habitual brainwashing.

Posted this here around a year ago.....

Running on Empty

Regularly taking breaks from eating—for hours or days—can trigger changes both expected, such as in metabolic dynamics and inflammation, and surprising, as in immune system function and cancer progression.

https://www.the-scientist.com/featur...on-empty-31436
    FJB